Car seat on the plane

PookASaurus

I was wondering if the parents who have flown with an infant could help me out with a suggestion...

We are leaving for our cruise on Thursday (December 13th) and traveling with our 10 month old son.

We currently have 2 car seats and both are FAA approved (we have purchased a separate seat on the plane for our son). We have his Infant Carrier (goes up to 30lbs, so he can still use it) and a 3 in 1 convertible car seat and I am wondering which one would be best/easiest to use on the plane and then in cabs and such.

Also, does anyone know if we have to use the base on the airplane with the infant carrier? I'm sure my manual answers that question but its in the car and its freezing outside ;)

well, I guess it depends what's easier for you. Does the carrier attach to a stroller you plan to bring anyway? That might be a convenience! Carrying a huge convertible carseat through the airport doesn't sound appealing at all. Since the infant carrier carseats can install in a car with or without the base, I imagine you don't need the base for an airplane.

My son outgrew his infant carrier by length so I'm planning to lug around the huge Britax convertible carseat for our 10 month old in January. Not fun! :eek:

The infant seat is the easiest to use with cabs. The seatbelt just goes up and over the carrier itself. No, you don't have to have the base.

The infant seat is easier on the plane, but it does lay out flat enough that it can keep the person in front of the baby from being able to put their seat back.

The infant seats are also usually lighter weight and easier to carry. We used infant seats until the point where we had to move our kids out of them.

Thanks for your replies!

I just double checked our height requirements for the infant seat and it goes up to 32" & 30lbs. My son was 28" & 22lbs at his 9 month appt so we're still good :)

The manual just said to install the seat the same way you would in a car, so I don't see any reason we need to bring the base. I just didn't know if the airline was going to say that we needed the base to meet the standards or something.

We haven't installed the convertible yet and our son has never sat in it so we're going to go ahead and bring the infant carrier. He is comfortable and likes this seat so I think its the best bet. It did cross my mind that the person who sits in front of him won't be able to recline - especially since our infant carrier is bigger than the standard ones (we have the Graco Safe Seat). But, I figure whoever gets stuck in that seat would rather sit up right than reclined with a baby screaming because he isn't used to and isn't comfortable in the convertible. The trip is going to be hectic enough for him - might as well try to keep at least some things familiar.

Thanks again!

We flew with our DD at 9 months from Fl to Hawaii (11 hrs). We brought the huge Britax because it was more comfortable than the infant seat. I got a thing called the "PAKBACK" by a company called Cheeky Monkey. It straps to the car seat so you can wear it like a backpack. Worked great and freed up hands to carry luggage and push the stroller or carry the baby. I would say bring which ever one is most comfortable if its a long flight.

Julie

At 9 months my son was borderline on his infant seat and I flew without the base. A lot easier. Unfortunetly the 30 lb seats came out just after he was born as far as I could tell. :( I liked it when traveling because if he fell asleep I was able to transfer him from car to stroller while he slept. Ah those were the days.

You can try to get airline seats in the front row which would keep you from having the problem w/passengers reclining in front of you.

Also, not to be a downer, but what is the research/stats on the usefulness of infant/car seats (as far as safety is conerned) on airplanes? We never bought an extra seat for our children until they were 2+. Lap babies---not exactly fun but saved $'s...:rolleyes:

I actually bought the graco safe seat when my son was 9 month's old specifically FOR a long flight. My son has always been big for his age and it bought us some more time. It was a lifesaver! As others have mentioned, you do not need the base. We left it at home and were happy that we did. The best part was that we already had the graco stroller frame -- making it so easy to transport the car seat, our son and some carry-ons through the airport. SO EASY! I miss those days!

We now use our 500 pound Britax. It's a pain to lug but worth the safety.

I am sure you know this, but I just wanted to add, that in order to use the seat you have to have purchased a seat for your baby. I know that if they have room on the flight they will let you have an empty seat -- but I have never had that experience. I have always just bought my son a seat. Also, the seat has to be installed in the window seat (if the plane is in two columns) because FAA regulations don't allow you to block exit from a row. This kind of stunk for us between 6 and 11 months -- and we often ended up gatechecking the car seat and holding our son enjoying the extra room the empty seat afforded us.

Wishing you a wonderful flight. I don't know if this is your first with a baby -- but as a mom who has taken nearly 15 flights with my now two year old, I have never had a problem!

You can try to get airline seats in the front row which would keep you from having the problem w/passengers reclining in front of you.

Also, not to be a downer, but what is the research/stats on the usefulness of infant/car seats (as far as safety is conerned) on airplanes? We never bought an extra seat for our children until they were 2+. Lap babies---not exactly fun but saved $'s...:rolleyes:

I agree, I just returned from a flight that across the aisle from us a family had the infant seat. From my view, the man in front was very uncomfortable throughout the trip....I also would suggest the first seats. This was a full flight and lasted 4 hours......four long hours...

Most flights a lap baby is perfectly safe the issue is on a very turbulent flight. They are rare but they do happen.

As far as the empty seat on a plane they are also now very rare because of they way airlines are arranging planes and reservations. It's been a long time since I have been on a plane with an empty seat and I used to be on them frequently. Some routes might have them more often but for the most part don't count on that free empty seat. If you have a baby under two who will not stay in your lap then you need to think long and hard about buying a ticket. If your baby has no problems staying in your arms then the decision is yours to make.

I don't have any stats on car seat safety in planes, but I do vividly remember a television show about the United crash in Iowa. This was the one where the plane cartwheeled into a corn field. They had lost their hydraulics and they had time to prepare for a crash landing. There were many survivors but a lot of people did not make it.

What sticks in my mind is a surviving flight attendant who described how hard it was for her to tell the parents of a lap child infant to put the baby on the floor for the landing as she had been instructed to do in her training.

yes, but i think others are suggesting the option to use that 3rd seat as an extra space and checking the carseat.

Maybe I'm not reading closely, but I don't think anyone was suggesting this. I know I wasn't. If there was another post that said this, please tell me which one so I don't continue to think I am not reading closely.

What sticks in my mind is a surviving flight attendant who described how hard it was for her to tell the parents of a lap child infant to put the baby on the floor for the landing as she had been instructed to do in her training.

:eek:I would never have been capable of that.

i have heard this before that you were required to put your infant on the floor. That would be one command I would simply ignore but I am not sure if that is true. Last time I flew I read the safety information card and it clearly showed infants in the laps of the adult and how to brace for a crash.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Yes, we did purchase a seat for our son. There was never a question about it - he is 10 months old and walking so sitting on a lap for 3+ hours is NOT going to happen. He is fine in his car seat and right now it looks like the flight should match up with his morning nap so he should sleep most of time.

While I'm aware that if the plane goes down the car seat probably isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, it will help to have him secure during take off/landing/turbulence. And if something were to happen (such as the plane/cornfield incident already posted) I'd like to give my son the best possible chance for survival.

I'm glad to hear the safe seat worked well for you, NoelsCat! We have decided to leave his big convertible at home and use the safe seat instead - without the base. We're using the stroller that the seat snaps into so that should help, too.

As for the bulkhead/front row seats - We're flying united and they already assigned seats and those were not available when we booked our flights. I have thought about it and plan to bring it up to the flight attendant at the time of boarding. If someone without a child/car seat is there it would make sense to give us those seats for the comfort of whoever is in front of us and I am willing to move. However, I'm not sure what their policy will be.

As for checking the car seat and using the 3rd seat as extra space I just don't think it will work for us. I know my son will be happier and more comfortable in his car seat and I want him secure during takeoff/landing/etc.

It is our first flight with a child so we're a little nervous! He is a really well behaved little guy and loves car rides so I think he'll do okay. Now my only worry is if there is a need for a mid flight diaper change - that ought to be fun! ;)

Thanks for all the input!

Yeah I've done the mid flight diaper change. OK hints on that: pull out diaper and wipes and anything else you need (like if there is a rash) and just bring that and not the diaper bag).

Now I'm a germaphobe so Babies R Us has in their especially for you brand or whatever their brand is an oversized public changing table cover. Definetly perfect for those who aren't newborns.

Next hint use the handicap bathroom. It's a little larger and gives you a little more maneuvering room.

I've actually taken to using latex, rubber, or vinyl gloves when changing in public so that I can throw everything out and in the case of a plane go hand the baby back the Daddy and then go back and wash my hand if I can but at least I'm not really dirty it's just that I smell the gloves on my hands. It can be hard to balance baby and wash hands. Also, handy when you change baby in the car. Purell doesn't always cut it. :rolleyes:

:)

As for the bulkhead/front row seats - We're flying united and they already assigned seats and those were not available when we booked our flights. I have thought about it and plan to bring it up to the flight attendant at the time of boarding. If someone without a child/car seat is there it would make sense to give us those seats for the comfort of whoever is in front of us and I am willing to move. However, I'm not sure what their policy will be.

My suggestion would be to ask when you check in for your flight (if with a live person) - or at the gate - for bulkhead. They may be able to accommodate you then. If not, you can always ask the flight attendant once you are on the plane.

it depends on the airline, but usually the bulkhead rows are not allowed to be assigned in advance, except for wheelchair users or high status frequent flyers. Your best bet to try and get one is to check in as early as possible and request it then. Do not wait until you get onto the plane to try and get the bulkhead because by then it will be too late.

it depends on the airline, but usually the bulkhead rows are not allowed to be assigned in advance, except for wheelchair users or high status frequent flyers. Your best bet to try and get one is to check in as early as possible and request it then. Do not wait until you get onto the plane to try and get the bulkhead because by then it will be too late.

I agree it is a good idea to ask for the bulkhead. Unfortunately most airlines have gone to assigning those to high mileage customers so if you aren't one you won't get those seats. Also not all bulkheads are good, some are actually worse than regular seats. You can check out seatguru.com to see if the bulkheads are better or not depending on the plane.

The only other thing you may want to double check is to see if the carrier without the base is still FAA approved.

Have a great flight!

This is what I was worried about when I posted my first question.

I checked the manual and the information for airline use just says "Install the seat in the plane the same way you would in a car" and you can install the seat with or without the base in a car... so according to that statement the base shouldn't be needed.

I checked the seat and the actual seat has the sticker thats says the seat can be used in aircraft, the base doesn't.

I called united to confirm and the woman I talked to said the only info she could find was that booster seats were not allowed and that installing the seat without the base should be fine. Other people with the same car seat have posted that they didn't use the base and had no problems, so I am going to take their (and the united rep's) word and cross my fingers that we don't have any problems!

Maybe I'm not reading closely, but I don't think anyone was suggesting this. I know I wasn't. If there was another post that said this, please tell me which one so I don't continue to think I am not reading closely.

Please see the poster below:

I have always just bought my son a seat. Also, the seat has to be installed in the window seat (if the plane is in two columns) because FAA regulations don't allow you to block exit from a row. This kind of stunk for us between 6 and 11 months -- and we often ended up gatechecking the car seat and holding our son enjoying the extra room the empty seat afforded us.

Archived