GREAT spirit cruise Review 11/25 - 12/2

grumye

Well, we just returned on one of the best cruises ever. Embarkment from New Orleans was so easy. Our room stewards were exceptional, (my daughter and her two sons and I had ajoining BA-rooms with different stewards for each room) not only were our rooms kept tidy but were wiped down, even the walls and doors, daily. Also towel animals almost every night, dogs, monkey, mice, walrus and one unknown creature! Our stewards called us by name from the first day and were always friendly, even when you could see that they were so tired. As for the rest of the crew, they were very helpful and friendly for the most part. The restaurant personal were great. Some were downright funny and all knew their jobs and did them well, never making us feel selfconscious when we did not know what something was on the menu or greedy when we ordered seconds of something we really liked.

The ship, Norwegian Spirit, is a beautiful ship. She seemed to need a little paint here and there, but over all in great shape. We sailed on the Norwegian Jewel on her second voyage and of course a new ship designed for free style was different. I would sail the Spirit again and hope too.

The food was very good in both the free and pay extra restaurants. Not much difference to me. The food in Raffels was good but the choices were not great. The exception of course breakfast. One of my grandsons ate at The Blue Lagoon thru out the trip. I think he ate Mac N cheese with a very large hamburger at least once a day. We had tacos and ribs on deck which were very good also. All in all the food, that we ate, was extremely good.

Our tours were some of the best we have ever been on. First stop Roatan:

we did the Zip-line....Yes, I did it too!!! And had sooo much fun, keep in mind that I am almost 60yrs old, over weight and not in very good shape. The tour guys that took us were very helpful and took great care of me. I highly recomend this tour.

Next stop Santo Tomas De Castilla: there we took a van and toured the city then rode up to Los Escobas Reserve were after a nice walk thru the beautiful rain forest where our driver and a park guide told us about the plant and animal life there. Then we saw the wonderful waterfall and those that wanted to swam in the crystal clear water under the falls...and yes I did too and boy was that water cold..it felt so good. Our driver stood on a high point and kept watch over our boys as they swam in this beautiful pool under the falls of the guatemala rain forest. This was my favorite stop. Great place to buy souvenirs, such nice people really appreaciate us spending our money there. As our ship prepared to leave the loud low sound of the conk shell being blown was heard calling the village to meeting there on the dock. As I watch with amasement as the local people, the taxies and buses gathered. Then the people started to sing and dance and put on the best show for all of us on the ship. Then when the ship broke dock and was away ..fireworks started and all the taxi and bus horns honking .. the people on shore and all the people on the ship saying good bye and come again. It was very touching, to know that we were welcome there and wanted back...this port will grow fast and I am glad to have visited.

Next stop Belize City: What to do here, last time here we went snorkeling and saw the reef so this time we went Cave Tubing!!!! What fun almost anyone can do this . First a wonderful bus ride with a great guide who is a stand-up comic(Dennis) then a shot of a unusual wine (Cashew). I had two just to keep out the cold, you never know what the weather might do in the caribbean. We arrived at a park and were allowed to change into swim clothes. You will need a pair of water shoes or old tennis shoes, grand sons wore Crocks. The first thing we had to do was cross the river using a rope stretched from ourside to other side. Now keep in mind this was the rainy season and the river was HIGH and the current was FAST!!! So jump in and hang on and cross over. No one was washed away. Then there is a short walk that is a wonderful walk thru the jungle. Our guides were so nice and only walked as fast as the slowest person (yes, it was me) but the walk was easy really. Then into the river, No that's not right first into the big innertube, which is the hardest part unless your grandson says "Grammy just sit down and gives you a small shove. Then you are ready to float thru the unsual caves of Belize. We saw bats and birds and clear water.When there was an opening inside the dark caves it looked like a beautiful picture painted as a murel. Your have a light on your head so you can look around while inside the caves. I never felt afraid as our tour guides were always there taking care of all of us. Did I say the hardest part was getting into the tube...wrong, it's getting out that is hardest.. but with the help of a few others I was out and wishing that it was not over.

Last stop Cozemel: having been here before we knew that shopping was to take place here, but first we got a taxi and went to see the mayan ruins...we went to the ruins called San Gervaso. These ruins are somewhat new,(the park not the ruins) they are working on them, still restoring some. We had a guide that walked us thru and told the history of each building and answering any questions, she was very informative and spoke english very well. Had one small step pyramid that we were allowed to climb on for great photo opts. Good shopping before you enter the sight or after you exit. From there just down the road was the Tequilia Hacienda...Yeah, What is a trip to Mexico without a taste of Tequilia... Well, first you are seated inside this brightly colored decorated pravillion and given a choice of a mararita or coke...guess what I got???? Right the adult stuff. And it was a pretty good one too. Then we were given a tour of How the drink Tequilia is made, boy was I surprised, a hint, it is not made from the leaves of the guava plant! Then after learning how to grow and make our own tequilia we got to sample about 6 or 8 (I can't seem to remember now how many, ha, ha) different flavors of tequilia. This was a tour that was a change of pace and I am glad we took it. After a tour of the island , it was back to the port for more shopping.

We booked ALL of our tours ourselves on-line and could not have been happerier with them. I will be happy to answer any question about them, just e-mail me at grumye1@aol.com.

We love NCL's freestyle crusing and are planning our next cruise as I type this review. Food is great (anything I don't have to cook or serve has to be great) Service was wonderful (anytime I am waited upon is wonderful) Clean room, bed turned down, perfect (this is my kind of living). Anyone can live in a fantasy world...... just take a cruise.

Sounds like you had an amazing time! We are leaving in less than a week on the Spirit so naturally I have a few questions:

On your trip to Los Escobas Reserve did you use NCL or just wait until you got into port?

Did you do the cave tubing in Belize through the ship or cave-tubing.com?

Where exactly is this tequila tasting in Cozumel... sounds interesting!

We are a family of three and are torn as to whether to book Shore Excursions with the ship or independently... Thanks for such a wonderful review... we are looking forward to it!

You nearly brough tears to my eyes remembering cave tubing with my mother and sons. I never read cave tubing reviews on CC. It really was exactly as you describe it, down to crossing the river (hold on!). It just sounds like you had so much fun. I've been on the Spirit three times and I really love her. I also really love Roatan.

Glad you had so much fun with the grandsons- thanks for the memories-

Doorbostrio,

We booked our own tours. In Roatan we booked on-line with Victor Bodden at boddentours.com for the Zip-line and he included much more such as photos with his daughter's monkeys and a tour of the island. you pay after the tour.

In Guatemala we went to the back of the large building where you shop and booked with Izabal Adventures. we told them what we wanted to see and do and they took us there, I think we paid $28.00 each for about 4 hrs. They were great. we paid before the tour and tipped our driver afterwards.

In Cozumel we caught a taxi at the end of the long dock (the best money I spent was for the bicycle taxi from the ship and back again) and told our driver where we wanted to go. The Mayan ruins and the Tequilia tour are very near each other on the same road. We paid $25.00 each for the taxi and about $ 18.00 for the tequilia tour and maybe $5.00 for the ruins and also were gone for several hours, I felt we got more than our moneys worth even after tipping our drivers. paid after the tour

If you go to Belize, the cave-tubing.com tour is wonderful ask for Yhuny and Dennis they are the best.

Have a great cruise and let us know how much fun you have.

Well, we just returned on one of the best cruises ever. Embarkment from New Orleans was so easy. Our room stewards were exceptional, (my daughter and her two sons and I had ajoining BA-rooms with different stewards for each room) not only were our rooms kept tidy but were wiped down, even the walls and doors, daily. Also towel animals almost every night, dogs, monkey, mice, walrus and one unknown creature!

Our stewards called us by name from the first day and were always friendly, even when you could see that they were so tired.

As for the rest of the crew, they were very helpful and friendly for the most part. The restaurant personal were great. Some were downright funny and all knew their jobs and did them well, never making us feel selfconscious when we did not know what something was on the menu or greedy when we ordered seconds of something we really liked.

The ship, Norwegian Spirit, is a beautiful ship. She seemed to need a little paint here and there, but over all in great shape. We sailed on the Norwegian Jewel on her second voyage and of course a new ship designed for free style was different. I would sail the Spirit again and hope too.

The food was very good in both the free and pay extra restaurants. Not much difference to me. The food in Raffels was good but the choices were not great. The exception of course breakfast. One of my grandsons ate at The Blue Lagoon thru out the trip. I think he ate Mac N cheese with a very large hamburger at least once a day. We had tacos and ribs on deck which were very good also. All in all the food, that we ate, was extremely good.

Our tours were some of the best we have ever been on. First stop

Roatan:

we did the Zip-line....Yes, I did it too!!! And had sooo much fun, keep in mind that I am almost 60yrs old, over weight and not in very good shape. The tour guys that took us were very helpful and took great care of me. I highly recomend this tour.

Next stop Santo Tomas De Castilla:

there we took a van and toured the city then rode up to Los Escobas Reserve were after a nice walk thru the beautiful rain forest where our driver and a park guide told us about the plant and animal life there. Then we saw the wonderful waterfall and those that wanted to swam in the crystal clear water under the falls...and yes I did too and boy was that water cold..it felt so good.

Our driver stood on a high point and kept watch over our boys as they swam in this beautiful pool under the falls of the guatemala rain forest. This was my favorite stop. Great place to buy souvenirs, such nice people really appreaciate us spending our money there.

As our ship prepared to leave the loud low sound of the conk shell being blown was heard calling the village to meeting there on the dock. As I watch with amasement as the local people, the taxies and buses gathered. Then the people started to sing and dance and put on the best show for all of us on the ship. Then when the ship broke dock and was away ..fireworks started and all the taxi and bus horns honking .. the people on shore and all the people on the ship saying good bye and come again. It was very touching, to know that we were welcome there and wanted back...this port will grow fast and I am glad to have visited.

Next stop Belize City:

hat to do here, last time here we went snorkeling and saw the reef so this time we went Cave Tubing!!!! What fun almost anyone can do this . First a wonderful bus ride with a great guide who is a stand-up comic(Dennis) then a shot of a unusual wine (Cashew). I had two just to keep out the cold, you never know what the weather might do in the caribbean. We arrived at a park and were allowed to change into swim clothes. You will need a pair of water shoes or old tennis shoes, grand sons wore Crocks.

The first thing we had to do was cross the river using a rope stretched from ourside to other side. Now keep in mind this was the rainy season and the river was HIGH and the current was FAST!!! So jump in and hang on and cross over. No one was washed away.

Then there is a short walk that is a wonderful walk thru the jungle. Our guides were so nice and only walked as fast as the slowest person (yes, it was me) but the walk was easy really. Then into the river, No that's not right first into the big innertube, which is the hardest part unless your grandson says "Grammy just sit down and gives you a small shove. Then you are ready to float thru the unsual caves of Belize. We saw bats and birds and clear water.When there was an opening inside the dark caves it looked like a beautiful picture painted as a murel. Your have a light on your head so you can look around while inside the caves. I never felt afraid as our tour guides were always there taking care of all of us. Did I say the hardest part was getting into the tube...wrong, it's getting out that is hardest.. but with the help of a few others I was out and wishing that it was not over.

Last stop Cozemel:

having been here before we knew that shopping was to take place here, but first we got a taxi and went to see the mayan ruins...we went to the ruins called San Gervaso. These ruins are somewhat new,(the park not the ruins) they are working on them, still restoring some. We had a guide that walked us thru and told the history of each building and answering any questions, she was very informative and spoke english very well. Had one small step pyramid that we were allowed to climb on for great photo opts. Good shopping before you enter the sight or after you exit.

From there just down the road was the Tequilia Hacienda...Yeah, What is a trip to Mexico without a taste of Tequilia... Well, first you are seated inside this brightly colored decorated pravillion and given a choice of a mararita or coke...guess what I got???? Right the adult stuff. And it was a pretty good one too.

Then we were given a tour of How the drink Tequilia is made, boy was I surprised, a hint, it is not made from the leaves of the guava plant! Then after learning how to grow and make our own tequilia we got to sample about 6 or 8 (I can't seem to remember now how many, ha, ha) different flavors of tequilia. This was a tour that was a change of pace and I am glad we took it.

After a tour of the island , it was back to the port for more shopping.

We booked ALL of our tours ourselves on-line and could not have been happerier with them. I will be happy to answer any question about them, just e-mail me at grumye1@aol.com.

We love NCL's freestyle crusing and are planning our next cruise as I type this review. Food is great (anything I don't have to cook or serve has to be great) Service was wonderful (anytime I am waited upon is wonderful) Clean room, bed turned down, perfect (this is my kind of living). Anyone can live in a fantasy world...... just take a cruise.

Thanks for a great review of a great trip. We were onboard with you but did not take advantage of all the tours that you did. We did go to Senor Frogs and the waitress did a deal giving my 80 year old Mother a shot and well... ya had to be there.

PS.. I spaced out your review as I read it. That might help some others.

It sounds like you had a great time. I appreciate you taking time to write a review!

My MIL did the zip line with us in February and she is in her 60's, she had the most fun! She did the Jolly Roger Ship with us a few years back and even walked the plank and swung on the rope off the ship into the ocean! You are only as old as you let yourself be!

HoopTroop

Misand

I was a little nervous at first, but once we were off the ship and talking to the people I felt only excitement. Guatamala was my favorite port and I hope to return soon before all us tourist change it. The people are very friendly and the company we used for our waterfall tour was great. There were twevel people to a van. We paid $28 each for about 4 hours. The van was clean and airconditioned. Our driver was very nice and acted as life guard at the falls for my grandsons, ages 12 and 15 yrs. If your daughters swim I think that they would love this tour. The water is different depths and crystal clear, the boys really swam but I only waded around. They went on up to the top of the falls and swam again up there but I did not make that climb even through it was not far, one of my sisters has bad knees so I sat on a bench with her as my daughter went with the boys. Our driver never left our sides as the park guide went with the others. This was different than Jamacia where you have to climb up the waterfall, here you walk a trail to get to the falls.

Go and enjoy the rain forest and the lovely people of Guatamala. This was the best port to buy from and they really like to bargin.

Archived