Anytime DINING coming to the Brilliance

skyking

Other lines also allow you to make a request. Unfortunately traditional dining has always had a long wait list and pax that want to dine traditionally are forced into AD because there is no room for them.:mad:

That is only because the other cruise lines do it the wrong way. NCL doesn't offer it and Princess makes the majority of their seating for Anytime and the minority to tradtional.

RCCL is doing it the RIGHT way by offering one floor of the dining room for Anytime and two floors for traditional. They are leaving more of the dining room for the traditional diners, so this should have no impact on the passnegers who want traditional.

That is only because the other cruise lines do it the wrong way. NCL doesn't offer it and Princess makes the majority of their seating for Anytime and the minority to tradtional.

RCCL is doing it the RIGHT way by offering one floor of the dining room for Anytime and two floors for traditional. They are leaving more of the dining room for the traditional diners, so this should have no impact on the passnegers who want traditional.

I hope that does not change.

Unfortunately, yes. Unfriendly waiters, rushed service, slow service (to the point we missed an evening program), and long lines. Given the choice, I'll take traditional dining any day.

This happened to me on the Explorer with traditional dining. Our waiter refused to take anyones order until all three of his tables were seated and two of the three were habitually late, up to 20 minutes. Our dinner took over two hours. On the third night, we ate at the Windjammer because the show was early and we would have missed it if we ate in the dining room.

Of course, we also spoke to the Maitre'D and complained after the first two nights and by he time we went back to dinner Thursday night, the waiter was taking our orders as soon as we were seated.

You can have lousy waiters regardless of whether you have traditional dining or anytime dining.

Well, this is the deal breaker for us...we will be looking into other options for future vacations.[/quote

I don't understand your disappointment. Traditional dining is still available for you. Only one floor of the dining room is being used for anytime dining. Should we all have to eat at an assigned time just because some people enjoy it? Choices is great for everyone. It saves me from ordering room service or dining in the Windjammer for half my cruise.

I think tips will be better for the waitstaff by adding anytime dining because alot of passengers who would use it are people who would have used the buffet instead. I am guessing alot of people using the Windjammer don't tip.

Perhaps the dining rooms weren't being used as much as hoped because of people not wanting to dine at the assigned time each night. This may be a way to bring more passengers to the dining room and more tips to the waitstaff.

Well, this is the deal breaker for us...we will be looking into other options for future vacations.[/quote

I don't understand your disappointment. Traditional dining is still available for you. Only one floor of the dining room is being used for anytime dining. Should we all have to eat at an assigned time just because some people enjoy it? Choices is great for everyone. It saves me from ordering room service or dining in the Windjammer for half my cruise.

I think tips will be better for the waitstaff by adding anytime dining because alot of passengers who would use it are people who would have used the buffet instead. I am guessing alot of people using the Windjammer don't tip.

Perhaps the dining rooms weren't being used as much as hoped because of people not wanting to dine at the assigned time each night. This may be a way to bring more passengers to the dining room and more tips to the waitstaff.

I loved it on NCL. Each day we would look at the Freestyle Dailies(cruise compass) to find out what was going on each evening such as show times and then make our mind up at what time we wanted to eat. It was great having that option. Never waited and the service was great and this was having a different wait staff each night.

Yes I have, though it was not called Anytime Dining, but Freestyle Dining, so you know it was on NCL.

It was the worst dining experience ever I had. It would need some very good reasons, like itinerary not to be found elsewhere to go back to this.

Almost every evening I had to stand in loooong lines to even get to the entrance and I´m talking about half hour or more waits here. Switching restaurants wasn´t an option, as the lines usually were the same at all the restaurants.

Once seated at a table all the waiters have been majorly stressed and that reflected the service level. They had to rush you through dinner as fast as possible because they needed the table with that long lines outside. Not a bit of a relaxed dinner. Of course it was a constant coming and going of guests and the tables around you have been set up with new table cloth etc. while you´ve been trying to enjoy your meal. I know you have this at a shoreside restaurant as well, but it´s not what I expect from a relaxed dinner on the ship.

No more Freestyle, Anytime or whatever they call this crap for me. Never ever. And yes to me it´s a dealbreaker as well. I either get traditional confirmed in writing upon booking or I won´t book.

We sail on different cruiselines each year and enjoy the variety. We took NCL Pearl last month and never had to wait at any restaurant. The main dining room was only half full each night. The specialty restaurants were busy but we still were able to get reservations whenever we wanted.

We have two RCCL cruises booked in 2008 and I would love to see the anytime dining option on one floor of the dining room. All those people who love traditional dining don't have to worry. Princess has two anytime dining rooms and one traditional dining room on most of their ships. I assume RCCL will have just the opposite: two traditional and one anytime dining room in the future.

We only encountered horrible dining service on one ship: Legend of the Seas. At least if we had anytime dining, we would not have to suffer with a bad waiter for our entire cruise.

OK just read this whole thread and wondering what to do. We will be on Brilliance in 6 months and am considering giving it a try. Enjoyed our dining experience immensely on the AOS, BUT with the busy European itin it may be difficult to make our assigned time many nights and the late seating is just too late for us. So this may be the perfect time to try it.

How does it work? Same menu as reg dining room each night? Is is first come/first serve (no pun intended:D ) to sign up? If so do we need to contact our TA? We have a group of 7, will this make it harder to get a table?

Help me make a decision if any of you know the answers to any of these questions, please!

It doesn't matter. Having the anytime option changes the entire dynamics of the cruising experience and still affects me whether I choose it or not. I've discussed my reasoning on the other anytime dining thread, and I don't expect you to agree with me, or even understand. But it does change our experience, even if you don't see how or why it does.

We've been loyal to RCI while they've remained loyal to traditional dining - once they no longer fulfill our wants and needs, we will move on. In fact, we recently canceled our AOS cruise for summer 2008 to try something new/different.

I understand where you are coming from. I have read alot about the dining options on HAL and it sounds like it changes the dynamics in there dining rooms. Little things like water glasses being topped off, and coffee being offered at the right time. I had a long conversation with a client today about her experiences with NCL and there dining. I would hope RCCL would never consider taking this as far as NCL. :eek: I just feel like this is another step in that direction. I can live with this change, but I certainly worry about RCCL taking it any further. :eek:

OK, after reading all these threads about "whatevertime, wherever and with whomever" dining, as it has a different name for each and every cruise line, I just have to ask this question, as I have seen it mentioned on every post about this new dining option. First off, we are Diamond with Royal Caribbean, so not inexperienced cruisers, have forever loved assigned dining times and wait staff, have watched it change from assigned seating for every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner), about 15 years ago, to then open seating for breakfast and lunch, and we adjusted.

OK, to my question. What I have seen is people saying that they want to request a certain table and wait staff at a certain time every night of the whole cruise. My understanding of this new dining venue is for people to be able to have the flexability to come to diner at whatever time they want and get seated, as you would in a restaurant ashore. So where is the flexability if you want the same time, same table and same wait staff every night of the cruise for the duration? What is different from doing that then having assigned seating? Same time, same table, same wait staff. This whole concept confuses me. :confused:

As for us, we will still request the "traditional" form of dining, with same table, same time and same wait staff, oh gee that sounds like how some are using the "anytime" dining.

Why the long lines? And was this during a time when the "Anytime Dining" was new and being tested? :confused: Is it possible that the "kinks" have be straightened out? I guess I'm being the optimist here' date=' I really believe that AD will work for me, that is of course if its run smoothly. Only time will tell. We're on the Voyager in March '08, hope they will test it by then :) [/color']

Just today a friend told me on the last two NCL cruises she experienced horrible lines. Seems everyone wants to eat dinner within a 3 hour time frame and the restaurants on board get slammed at about the same time. She said Never, ever again. One of the Joys of cruising is having her table in the dining room waiting for her vs. the other way around... :D

BUT, this program that RCCL is testing is entirely different then what they do on NCL and I think it could be workable......obviously the dress code would be enforced, so hopefully the dining room would have the same formal atmosphere.

OK, after reading all these threads about "whatevertime, wherever and with whomever" dining, as it has a different name for each and every cruise line, I just have to ask this question, as I have seen it mentioned on every post about this new dining option. First off, we are Diamond with Royal Caribbean, so not inexperienced cruisers, have forever loved assigned dining times and wait staff, have watched it change from assigned seating for every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner), about 15 years ago, to then open seating for breakfast and lunch, and we adjusted.

OK, to my question. What I have seen is people saying that they want to request a certain table and wait staff at a certain time every night of the whole cruise. My understanding of this new dining venue is for people to be able to have the flexability to come to diner at whatever time they want and get seated, as you would in a restaurant ashore. So where is the flexability if you want the same time, same table and same wait staff every night of the cruise for the duration? What is different from doing that then having assigned seating? Same time, same table, same wait staff. This whole concept confuses me. :confused:

As for us, we will still request the "traditional" form of dining, with same table, same time and same wait staff, oh gee that sounds like how some are using the "anytime" dining.

I have read very few comments like that myself. Anytime dining is for guests like myself who dine at different times each night. I don't like being tied down to a certain time to eat and this gives me that option. For the ones that want traditional then go for it.

Just off FOS on Sunday and tried AD. It worked out great for us. Had the same waiter every night. We were a party of 4 and had no problem getting a table for 4 without a wait. We made reservations for a time that fit what we were doing on a particular day.

Would do it again if it's offered.

I loved it on NCL. Each day we would look at the Freestyle Dailies(cruise compass) to find out what was going on each evening such as show times and then make our mind up at what time we wanted to eat. It was great having that option. Never waited and the service was great and this was having a different wait staff each night.

It seems the longest waits were people eating at 7 or 730.I'm glad you had a good experience but I've heard first hand from friends that NCL did a terrible job.Not saying RCL would be bad also,but you would have to expect to wait if you showed up at a busy time or if those at your 'reserved table' were relaxing enjoying coffee.Of course I suppose if you are relaxing enjoying coffee and there is a line building at the door your wait staff might be inclined to push you out the door.some nights I like to relax at dinner and spend an hour and a half or more eating,relaxing and enjoying a drink.My hope is that we are not rushed to get the folks waiting seated.

I just called RCI & had our Traditional Dining changed to Anytime Dining. We are going on the Brilliance of the Seas on March 3, 2008. We have done Antime Dining 2 times before on the Caribbean Princess & liked it.

Gail

Just off FOS on Sunday and tried AD. It worked out great for us. Had the same waiter every night. We were a party of 4 and had no problem getting a table for 4 without a wait. We made reservations for a time that fit what we were doing on a particular day.

I hope that the smooth way the trial has handled AD is indicative of how an actual implementation of this new dining style will be. I especially hope that those of us who want traditional are not forced into AD like many people who sail Princess. Those cruises have huge waiting lists for traditional dining. There is no flexibility to meet the passengers' needs.

How early in the morning did you have to make your reservation to get the time you wanted? We sailed on Princess this past summer and had to call first thing if we wanted something other then very early, or very late.

I first cruised in 88 on the Song of America. Sorry, I don't see the decline of Western Civilization, or even of dining standards, in the intervening years. I have tried, and mightily enjoyed, Anytime Dining. Probably because the Earl Grey magically appearing at dinner isn't as exciting after 20 years, but choosing my tablemates and choosing my dining time does excite me.

If some posters truly believe that AD heralds the invasion of the Visigoths, then they are free to go where it is not offered. (and they absolutely should, no one should be unhappy on a cruise!) I for one, having evenly divided my cruising between trad and AD, am pleased to see it offered on RCCL. It mean that they may book me for that fifth cruise yet<G>

el henry

I like your attitude elhenry!!!

I hope that the smooth way the trial has handled AD is indicative of how an actual implementation of this new dining style will be. I especially hope that those of us who want traditional are not forced into AD like many people who sail Princess. Those cruises have huge waiting lists for traditional dining. There is no flexibility to meet the passengers' needs.

Sorry, that's not true.

When last I sailed Princess, they used on the of the Anytime dining rooms to accomodate the "Early Seating Traditionalists" that would not have otherwise been able to have Early Seating.

I think that shows a willingness to meet needs, and the flexibility.

What I have seen is people saying that they want to request a certain table and wait staff at a certain time every night of the whole cruise. My understanding of this new dining venue is for people to be able to have the flexability to come to diner at whatever time they want and get seated, as you would in a restaurant ashore. So where is the flexability if you want the same time, same table and same wait staff every night of the cruise for the duration? What is different from doing that then having assigned seating? Same time, same table, same wait staff. This whole concept confuses me. :confused:

quote]

Nope, not me.

I like sitting in different places in the dining room so really don't care about same table. Don't care about same wait staff.

REALLY don't care about same time - I'm never going to make a reservation if I'm in an 'open seating' situation - defeats the purpose in my opinion. If I was cruising with a large group, that might change my perspective, but it's doubtful I'll ever be with more than one person.

Sure, I may have to wait a few minutes a time or two, but that's not a deal breaker for me like it is for others.

Sorry, that's not true.

When last I sailed Princess, they used on the of the Anytime dining rooms to accomodate the "Early Seating Traditionalists" that would not have otherwise been able to have Early Seating.

I think that shows a willingness to meet needs, and the flexibility.

That's good to hear.

In fact, Celebrity/Azamara is something we've been looking into! Also,land vacations to Hawaii and Italy.

We're also tired of the same old Caribbean ports, and would like to try a cruiseline that has expanded their newer ships to other islands. (I know that RCI has a few more "exotic" Carib itineraries, but it's their older, smaller ships that sail there.)

Hi Donna, We just got back from Hawaii. Maui, to be exact. We try to go to Hawaii every year. If you have not been, you must go. I have been going ever since I was a kid, and I love it. Maui is my favorite island, but all of them are wonderful for so many different reasons.

Hi Donna, We just got back from Hawaii. Maui, to be exact. We try to go to Hawaii every year. If you have not been, you must go. I have been going ever since I was a kid, and I love it. Maui is my favorite island, but all of them are wonderful for so many different reasons.

Did you have a great time? I'll be there in exactly a month so I'm starting to get really excited.:D

It's so much harder to go to Hawaii from the East Coast than it is from LA - airfare alone is outrageous and it's a very long, jet-lag inducing flight! We've never been, but my sister recommends Kauai, and my best friend loves Maui. We do plan to go soon! For the next three years, we are bound to vacationing during school holidays, which planning any vacation more challenging (who wants to go someplace hot and tropical in August?) But once the kiddies have graduated, we'll have more flexibility, and Hawaii is definitely on our list, although Italy is up first.

Archived