Sensation vs. Soveriegn???

suzisgirl

My DH and I will be taking our daughter on her first cruise this June. We have cruised and enjoyed Carnival many times and thought the Sensation 3-day Bahamas cruise would be perfect. However, now we see that RC offers a similar cruise on the Sovereign. Any suggestions?

We are looking primarily for comparisons on the children's programs, food, and excursions offered in port. Also, is Coco Cay a nice alterniative to a day at sea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Iv been on both the Sovereign B2B and the Ecstasy (which I think is similar to the Sensation?).

The Sovereign is 20 years old, built 1887 vs. the Ecstasy was built in the late 1990s, 1997/1998?.

Both cruiselines will have great children's programs. The Sovereign has Johnny Rockets, if you are keen on hamburgers.

The Ecstasy the inside and OV cabins are 185 s.f. The Sovereign has inside cabins 119 s.f and OVs are 122 s.f. The Ov was not bad, but the inside was a quad with a broken bunk bed and one whole side of the closet the hangers were broken and unusuable, and there was NO STORAGE other than the few drawers in the desk so we lived out of a suitcase. The OV on Sovereign was better, it had a short two drawer dresser we could use the top of and the two drawers for clothing and it has a couple of shelves in the closet. We would never stay in the inside on Sovereign again, just us. Meriom mom? sp, on the RCL thread loves the ship and folks say well you hardly spend any time in the cabin, so who cares. I cared, I would only do a deluxe or a OV on that ship.

The Sovereign was a beutiful ship and we enjoyed all the activities, its really beautiful inside. The Ecstasy was not as pretty, but we thought the food was better. Some say the service is better on the Sovereign, they are one of the friendliest ships is their reputation.

As long as you stay away from a regular inside cabin on the Sovereign, I would recommend it or the Carnival Sensation. You will enjoy both.

Regarding Coco Cay, you will see many posts about missing Coco Cay, so I would advise not counting on it and then if they do make it, its a bonus. I had talked to a bunch on my 2nd cruise who couldnt wait and a little girl her mom promised her to buy something because they didnt have time in Nassau. I sure was thinking of her when the announcement came the next morning we were skipping Coco Cay because of 40 knots winds. Its a tender port with rocks, or so Iv been told, so it doesnt take much of a wind that they cant get in. The first time at Coco Cay, just as we sat down to our lunch plates it started to rain and we dumped our lunch in the trash as there was not enough room where it was sheltered from the rain. I felt bad about wasting the food :(

Here is Coco Cay before the rain (maybe someone can explain how to do smaller thumbnails)

Picture077.jpg

Here is when it started to drizzle, but still pretty and less people on the beach :) (Luckily I like rain) Looking out at Sovereign

Picture079.jpg

Coming back on the tender in the tropical downpour, it was warm at least so np.

Picture091.jpg

I have been on both with kids, although I did the Sensation when it was a different itinerary. The Adventure Ocean area on the Sovereign had been redone and was very nice - much nicer than Sensation. The kids program was very good for the younger kids (ages 11 and under) on Sovereign. The teen program was better on the Sensation.

Food was better on Sensation, entertainment better, cabin roomier and nicer. Had a terrible room stewart on Sovereign, but sometimes its just the luck of the draw with that.

Really liked the stop at Coco Cay on Sovereign.

So which would I do again? Probably Sensation. Carnival has more of a "fun" factor than RCC (in my opinion). Our last 2 cruises were with RCC and the next is with Carnival. The kids in my group have ranged in ages from 6 months to 18 so I have experience with all age groups. I am open to either line, I mainly shop for price and itinerary. We always have fun. No such thing as a bad cruise for us.

Dawnrae

We done done both ships in the last 6 months..and we like the Sensation a lot more. Just everything we enjoyed. The Soverign is fine but the Sensation in just more ............everything.! Especially with kids! Which ever you choose I am sure will be fun..this is just personal preferance.:)

I have a special place in my heart for Sensation since it was the first Carnival ship I cruised on. We went on it again this past May, and everything is about the same. A little more wear and tear, but a lot of that will be fixed during the Evolutions of Fun drydock. I would recommend Sensation, we had fun both times.

Archived