Star Flyer 12/30/2007--TAHITI!!

HemiD

Okay. I must be losing my mind, but I thought I read a post from somebody taking the Inaugural Tahiti trip on the Flyer.

My husband and I and another couple are booked and we can hardly wait.

We just received our cruise documents this week, good timing considering we are from the Midwest and currently buried under a couple of inches of snow and at least an inch of ice!

This will be our third cruise with Star Clipper, we actually have hit the trifecta now! (Royal Clipper, Star Clipper and Star Flyer)

Also, this will be our second cruise in Tahiti, our first was 5-6 (?) years ago on Renaissance that is now defunct and Princess bought their ship and kept the location.

So, if anyone is out there going on this cruise, let me know or tell me where you all are yakking at!:p

Also, if anyone has any questions about my experience with S.C., I'll be happy to share!

Hi there Hemi!

The boards have been pretty quiet in the Star Clippers section. Several of the frequent posters are on the Star Flyer now heading to Tahiti...which is what you probably read earlier. They left Panama on the 5th & get to Tahiti on the 27th...just in time for you! Unfortunately, we have to wait until August before we go. Did the 10 day on the Tahitian Princess last year & fell in love with the area.

Please keep a log on your adventure so you can share with all us anxious travelers waiting our turn. So, what kind of Docs do they send you. We got our Air reservations last Friday from Star Clippers and have set up our seats...last time we were in the second coach section & it took a long time to clear customs when we got there....got the forward section this time.

Have a great trip!

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

Hey Budaman:

I know what you mean about loving the area. Ahhhh. What we've received was the normal cruise docs of boarding passes, shore excursions, etc.

I'm out of town so I haven't seen them yet, but I'm sure it's the normal "What to expect"

I might mention that on airfare--our travel companions booked through Star Clippers, we booked through AMEX (frequent flyer miles) we both got rescheduled (Air Tahiti Nui). Star Clippers was really good about contacting our friends, Air Tahiti Nui contacted us directly. Not a big problem unless you are trying to make pre-cruise plans like we did.

I will be definitely keeping a log of adventures, our last Clipper trip was also a New Year's trip in the Caribbean on the Star Clipper and the owner Michael Krafft and family was on board. It was quite awesome, by the third day you really felt as if you had been invited on a personal cruise with him. They all will join us at the bar at night and take part it the activities. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on this trip also. Wow--rough job, huh!

Happy sailing all!

Very possible they will be aboard with it being the first cruise in a brand new market. I have read that the gov't there is fully behind them & is actually subsidizing part of the expenses, so it will be interesting to see if it will lead to an even more positive experience than some of the other lines.

Where are you staying pre? We are going in a day early & staying 2 days post. We are using SC's packages as they are really quite affordable. Could have gone & booked ourselves and saved a few bucks, but gained a little more hassle with making sure the flights went without a hitch.

There are a couple of things you could check for us aboard that have mainly to do with the dive crew, but I won't ask unless you really feel like checking:)

Mike

Hi Mike:

We are staying at Le Merdien, splurged on a overwater bungalow. It's the best or worst deal in French Polynesia, dependinig on A)--your outlook and B)--how much you wish to believe on Trip Advisor!

I'd be happy to 'canvass' the dive staff. I'm actually certified PADI myself, but unless I know the person, I won't dive.

My husband doesn't dive, he's not into it. I can tell you that the dive master on the Royal Clipper (2004) was awesome, I actually needed my check out dives, but didn't bring my referral with me, he was willing to help me have my referral faxed to me. Now I thought that was great. And in true Star Clipper fashion, this transaction went over over dinner. It's really great to be able to sit with officers and 'hotel/sport' staff.

We are doing the post cruise Radisson day stay, our friends booked their pre-stay with SC. (Sofitel??) I'll let you know how it went.

If you've never done a star clippers trip before, I just realized that I left my Royal Clipper pics up on www.sunflower.com/~khunsinger

That should give you an idea what you are in for!

Cheers!

--Kim

Thanks Kim...the Royal is a beautiful ship. The Flyer should be all spiffed up for you since it just went through a 3 week refurbishing in Panama.

The only pressing question I have is whether they are still using steel tanks with DIN valves. We have K's on our regs & will need to get an adapter for DIN......luckily they're Scubapro & readily available. If you get a chance to dive there, I would strongly recommend it. If you don't feel comfortable with the ship, Top Dive in Bora & Moorea have an excellent operation. One of our favorite dives last trip was the easiest one inside the lagoon on Bora...max 40ft, but saw all kinds of aquatics..just no sharks on that one. All the others we encountered sharks, sharks & more sharks. By the end of the cruise, it was like having a bunch of puppies running around you:D

Our pre is at the Sofitel and post at the Radisson. We didn't get to spend any time last trip exploring or diving Tahiti & wanted to make sure we did this trip. Just need to figure out how I'm going to be able to get to the Marche before it closes Sunday morning to get one of the flower arrangements!

Mike

HemiD,

My family (18 in all) are booked on the Star Flyer in January. We have cruised the Carib multiple times as well as the Med and even the Danube River in Europe but we don't know what to expect from this. Would you post your Tahitian adventure when you return. We'd love to hear first hand how great it is and will be.

Enjoy your trip

Archived