The One Thing on Kauai

Duffyy

• Administrators

I'm not a helicopter or flightseeing person (if I were that's what I'd do for my "one" thing on Kauai), so for the nonfliers among us, I'd say the ONE to do on your first visit is Waimea Canyon (provided you are sailing NCL and get to do the Napali sailby on your cruise ship -- if you aren't on NCL, then I'd say an excursion to the Napali Coast would be the ONE).

Not sure how many there are in your group ... but we rented a car and saw all sorts of stuff, from beaches, to waterfalls, to Wiamea Canyon, to lunch at Duke's at the hotel near the pier ... even stopped for a shave-ice. I think the rental car cost was something like $70 and we took another couple with us that we had met on board. So, we did our own GREAT day at a cost of about $17 per person. About the cheapest shore excursion you could imagine.

I would rent a car and head to Hanalei and enjoy a day at the beach.

Running a close second would be to rent a car and go to Auntie Angeline's in Anahola for a Hawaiian Steam, Salt Scrub and Lomi Lomi massage then to Hanalei to the beach.

aaaah Heaven.

BigGuy, may I ask how you planned your trip? It sounds like what we want to do, but I still don't have good, quick to read/easy to 'visualize' info on Kauai. Maybe I just need to spend more time on it . . . we want to drive from port up to Hanalei, and hope to see waterfalls along the way, and a short hiking trail would be a bonus to stretch our legs! Any suggestions welcome!

Leslie

BigGuy, may I ask how you planned your trip? It sounds like what we want to do, but I still don't have good, quick to read/easy to 'visualize' info on Kauai. Maybe I just need to spend more time on it . . . we want to drive from port up to Hanalei, and hope to see waterfalls along the way, and a short hiking trail would be a bonus to stretch our legs! Any suggestions welcome!

Leslie

... but we just returned from PoAl 11 day cruise with 1 1/2 days in Kauai. We rented a car from Budget as they had the best rates and a shuttle pick up. We drove East and then North along the costal road, SR 56 all the way to the bitter in beyond Hanalei at Haena State Park. We stopped at historic sites and waterfalls and turnouts along the way. A major highlight was the Kilauea Wildlife Preserve and Lighthouse. We ate lunch in Hanalei. We parked overnight for $10 at the Aloha Marketplace near the ship (thanks to informed CC posters). The second day we got going bright and early and drove SR 50 towards Waiamea Canyon. We drove all the way, again to the bitter end of the road in Kokee State Park. There are two lookouts there down on to the Na' Pali coast. As the nene flies from the lookout you are only a few miles from Haena Stae Park, though you "can't there from here" without a rugged hike. The area clouds up mid morning and obscures the view, thus the early departure. Then we stopped at the Waimea Canyon overlooks on the way back down. We had to hurry back to gas up the car, drop it off and catch the 1:00 PM sailing. There is a lot more to do than we did. We loved both days since we saw so much what we wanted to see at our pace. Enjoy. Aloha. Patric.

Driving SR 56 all the way to the bitter end as you suggest sounds very do-able! But tell me: are the scenic pullouts for waterfalls, etc., MARKED along SR 56? Or did you plan those ahead of time?

Any short hikes along the way?

Thanks so much,

Leslie

Airventures plane ride. Half the cost and same great scenery. Awesome!

Yes agreed - and you don't have to worry which side you are seating on as the pilot turns over each scenic point so all get to see - well at least our pilot did :)

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter 50 minute ride....sit on the right side of the cockpit.

Just a reminder that passengers do not get to choose their seats on the helicopter. All seating is based on the safest distribution of weight. (Yes, you do get the joy of having to either disclose your weight or actually be weighed. Not the most fun thing to do, but I'd rather have them know I'm about 20 lb over what I should be, than lie about it and cause a problem. Safety first.)

We took the Blue Hawaiian long flight on Maui on the EcoStar. It was worth every extra penny for the EcoStar. Great seats, large windows, and views for everyone. I'm certain it would be just as wonderful on Kauai.:)

beachchick

bright and early[/u] and drove SR 50 towards Waiamea Canyon. We drove all the way, again to the bitter end of the road in Kokee State Park. There are two lookouts there down on to the Na' Pali coast. As the nene flies from the lookout you are only a few miles from Haena Stae Park, though you "can't there from here" without a rugged hike. The area clouds up mid morning and obscures the view, thus the early departure. Then we stopped at the Waimea Canyon overlooks on the way back down. We had to hurry back to gas up the car, drop it off and catch the 1:00 PM sailing. There is a lot more to do than we did. We loved both days since we saw so much what we wanted to see at our pace. Enjoy. Aloha. Patric.

Are SR 50 and SR 56 mountainous?

Is it possible to rent a car in Kauai and drive around to sightsee without encountering any serious mountain driving? (I ask because DH grew up in Brooklyn -- very flat -- and we live in Miami -- also very flat -- so he has a fear of mountains).

Archived