Western Caribbean vs. Eastern & S. Caribbean

cruzrus2

Can any of you experienced cruisers help us decide which cruise to choose next? We have cruised the S. Caribbean but never the Western. We know we like the beaches on St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Antigua. How do they compare with the ones on Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize? We aren't much for touring but like the beaches and water sports. We will be travelling with our boys who will be 15 and 10. It's between the Explorer, Mariner and Jewel.

Thanks

I had always done the St Thomas Route and S. Carrib before. Loved it. Loved the ports. Tried the Western Route on the Explorer and had a blast. Our route included Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica and their private island, Labadee.

We had a blast. Cozumel had great beaches and great snorkeling....ditto with Grand Cayman. Didn't get off in Jamaica. Labadee we rented wave runners and laughed our heads off!

Haven't done the other two you mention but I can say that I found the West route to be more relaxing. Mostly though because I felt compelled to shop on the Eastern routes.... :)

Have a great time. Try something different :)

We have cruised the E. (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee) and W.(Labadee, Ocho rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) on Explorer(both out of Miami) and the S. (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas) out of San Juan) on Adventure. Love those Voyager-class ships! We had super cruises each time. We like to make the rounds and not go to the same places every time.

Next winter it will probably be Brilliance to Panama Canal or Adventure to the other S. route. But it depends on what's left after Ivan blows through. Barbados has already been hit and the Caymans are in the current path. Brilliance stops at Grand Cayman and Adventure stops at Barbados.

My prayers are with everyone affected by this and the other hurricanes. What a terrible season it has been! Where to cruise is really the least of my worries.

Explorer E. Carib 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure 2/8/04

hello! i came on to post a very similar question-so i will just get in on this thread...

we have done the western carribean on navigator of the seas with our 3 kids who were 8, 14, and 16 and LOVED it-

labadee was a wonderful beach/bbq day

jamaica -we would stay on the ship next time-the water at dunn's river falls was gross

grand cayman was nice but much like the states (stingray city was cancelled)

cozumel ahhhh cozumel did the dolphin swim and snorkeling at chaakanab-heaven!

so we are trying to decide between the western route again but with belize and costa maya with cozumel and grand cayman on navigator

or

san juan, st maarten, st thomas, and nassau on the explorer

it's for a family reunion cruise-please help!

• 3 weeks later...

I love Nassau and want to go back. Paradise Island is incredible. I didn't get much time to spend in the straw market, but really want to return. There is a beach just beside the Atlantis. The day we were there the weather was rainy so we didn't get in the water, but I have heard that it is a great spot.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite spots. If you get off the ship and go right for about 4 blocks there is a dive shop. If you own your own snorkleing equipment you can snorkle for free on their shore. To rent equipment was about $5 They also have shore diving with coral caves. It was awesome and the cost is very reasonable about $25 first tank $10 next tank.

I have been to San Juan twice. It is much cleaner and the city is really working on cleaning up the city. It is fun to just walk the town.

Cozumel is a wonderful stop. The beaches are wonderful and the diving is awesome.

Jamaica - if you are a coffee drinker you MUST buy some Blue Mountain Coffee. It is the best in the world. Dunns Rivers falls is fun, but dangerous. Be sure and have river runner shoes with you. Take the warnings of the ship and stay where they tell you to. Jamaica can be very dangerous.

St. Thomas is great for buying jewelry. The beaches are good, but crowded.

I really enjoy both 'sides' of the carribbean. The eastern side is a bit rougher than the western. If you like the swaying of the ship, go the eastern route.

We took the Eastern route last year for a family reunion (12 of us)- rented vans on St Thomas (which we used to take the ferry to St John) and Nassau (went to local's beaches). Those were both wonderful active beach days. We've also rented on Tortola & St Martin for past trips - all are easy driving, great beaches to explore. Just a reminder if it's a reunion cruise, St Martin is beautiful, but mixing generations on the nude beaches might be a little more than you bargained on (there are plenty of "normal" beaches to choose from, just know ahead of time which are which.)

Archived