Just Back From Dawn 12/2 sailing

MzJenniC

My bf and I were on the 12/2 -12/9 sailing on the Dawn out of Miami. It was his first cruise ever and my first NCL cruise. We had heard lots of good things about NCL from friends and relitives. Needless to say we were both impressed with the ship, crew, activities, and pretty much everything.:p We didn't get off the ship in Samana, opting to lay by the pool and take in some of the ships activities that day. In Tortola we did the Virgin Gorda Snorkling, which I absolutely loved! It was my first time going snorkling and I was worried that it would be a little cheesey but it was a great way to be introduced to snorkling. When we got to St. Thomas we went to Morningstar beach on our own (about $6 per person for a taxi).

I can't wait for our next cruise which we will definately be booking with NCL!

What did you like best about Freestyle dining?

Did you meet new friends by participating in shipboard activities?

What kind of cabin did you have, and did it meet your expectations?

Did you tender or dock in Tortola?

Let's hear it all. Thanks

What did you like best about Freestyle dining?

Did you meet new friends by participating in shipboard activities?

What kind of cabin did you have, and did it meet your expectations?

Did you tender or dock in Tortola?

Let's hear it all. Thanks

FREESTYLE DINING:

Well We split most of our dinners between the Venitian and Aqua and some of the specialty resturants. The service in the Venitian was a bit slower than in Aqua but it was still a lot quicker than I've had on other cruises (I've been on Carnival, Royal Carribean, and Disney). The night in St. Thomas the bf and I did the Murder Mystery dinner which was lots fun. They had us form groups of 6 and you acted out the mystery among your group (which you also ate with). They took us to the Venitian for dinner.

We ate at Salsa twice and Impressions once. I loved impressions, the service was great and it was a nice, quiet, romantic dinner. I wasn't as impressed with the buffet selection, and I had quite a few late night snacks at the blue lagoon.

ACTIVITIES

We went to most of the shows. The juggler and magician were great! I even got called up for a card trick on the last night. We went to most of the game shows. The Quest was our favorite! We made quite a few friends around us doing that, but im sure the high amount of alcohol we both consumed helped. On the private island we both played volleyball and had a great time. The Chocoholic Buffet was a bit short for my liking but it was still great!

CABIN

We booked last minute and had an inside state room. It was small, but not to the point of feeling cramped. I wish we would have spent the extra money for an outside or balcony because it was hard knowing what time it was in the morning with no window. Considering we didn't spend that much time in the cabin though, it was great for us. Our room was always cleaned as soon as we left in the morning and the turndown was around 830-9pm.

TORTOLA

We docked in Tortola, but for our excursion we took a snorkling boat off the opposite side of the ship from the dock. It took us about 35 minutes to get to Virgin Gorda. They stopped about 300-400 yards off shore and we snorkled to the beach. Then we had a guided walk through the baths and they showed us where Sports Illustrated and Victoria's Secret did their photo shoots. It was a bit difficult to walk in some spots and anyone that has any back, ankle, knee, neck problems may not want to do the walk. Also if you have any problems being in small spaces, you will not like the walk. At the end of the walk we had about an hour to do what we liked and then snorkled/swam back to the boat. We saw a lot of fish, including a barricuda! It startled me at first as I was wearing a bellyring and I know they are attracted to shiney things. They were letting people jump off the boat and of course my bf took part. On the way back we took lots of pictures of the scenery. By the time we got back, we didn't have much time to spend on the island, and I really just wanted to shower off the seawater. I loved how beautiful everything was though and I really want to go back soon!

Thank you so much for the review - we are leaving in Janaury and can't get enough info! Can't wait!!! :D

Did you like Morningstar Beach in St. Thomas??

Debbie

Morningstar beach was great! It wasn't crowded at all. Its a Marriot resort beach but there is no charge to get onto the beach. They do charge for chair rentals, snorkling equipment. We just laid our towels in the sand and enjoyed things.

Thanks again! And I meant to tell you thanks for posting the reveiw on the tour that you had to snorkel into St. John on - most take the land tour and I was wandering what the tour was like from the water side which is what we were mainly looking at. To do it over again would you do the tour from land? Thanks again!!! Debbie

The snorkling was in Tortola. We were going to try snorkling in St. Johns, but we were operating on a somewhat tight budget. The tour was something that I would definately do again. The excursion is called Virgin Gorda Baths and Snorkle. I know you have to sign a waver, but I believe it is more for the walk through the Baths than the snorkle. It was about $65 per person and well worth it. The guides pointed out lobster, and tropical fish as well as answered any questions. They tell you that you have to be a decently strong swimmer but on top of the mandatory vests you have to wear they provide a flotation belt on the snorkle boat for free if you are nervous about the swim.

Yes! Thank you for the review! We leave in January as well on the Dawn.

We are cruising with friends this time around, not that DH and I don't enjoy each other's company, but I think having friends will give the cruise a whole new light --- ! Thanks, too, for the information about the Baths, that is one spot we want to take in!

Archived