Best ruins/best swimming w/rays?

01Sweetpea

[color=black]My family me, DH & kiddies (12,9,9) will be cruising on our FIRST cruise on the VALOR on 6/26. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, & Grand Cayman. I know I am WAY ahead of myself but am starting to look for excursions. So here are my questions...[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]1. We definately want to do a ruins excursion... which is better Cozumel or Belize?[/color]

[color=black]2. We want to swim with the rays... which is better Belize or Grand Cayman?[/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

I can't speak for Belize, but I will say that our experience swimming with the Rays in Grand Cayman was out of this world. We didn't book the excursion through the ship, but opted for a smaller boat, instead. If I remember correctly, it was with Nativeway. They met us right at the tender dock and bussed us to their boat. They provided food, so the Rays would come right up to you and eat out of your hand. They also took us to a reef to snorkel, and spread fish food in the water so that at one point I was surrounded by hundreds of colorful fish! :D

When we were in Cozumel the first time, we went to the San Gervaiso ruins right there on the island. They don't have the big pyramids of Tulum and Chitza Itza (not sure if that's spelled correctly :o ), but it's a nice excavation of a site that would be considered a holy place. It's also in a jungle that provided many botanical specimens and lots of lizards to watch. It wasn't expensive to get in - less than $10 pp - and taxis will take you from the pier and bring you back. We opted torent a car, but I'd never do that again - unless I was with someone who spoke and read Spanish.

Hope you find the perfect excursions - have a great time on your cruise. :)

My fifteen year old son and I did the Xunantunich ruins in Belize and absolutely loved it. My husband and 13 year old daughter snorkeled there and were a little disappointed. We have snorkeled in the Keys and they said they liked it better there...maybe it was just where they went, there are several snorkeling trips. The ruins are 2 hours into Belize on the border with Guatamala, in the mountains. The main pyramid is on top of a mountain and has a commanding view of the surrounding rain forrest...spectacular. The tour bus was clean and comfortable, the guides were friendly and knowledgeable, and we loved it. We stopped for lunch at a local ranch and had delicious chicken and rice, plantains and beans for lunch. GREAT day, well worth the money. Hope you have a nice cruise.

Archived