Comfort stops -Vung Tau to Ho Chi Minh

mtennant

We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas in January and are considering the ship`s tour to Ho Chi Minh from Vung Tau. I understand that it can take approximately 2 hours to arrive at Ho Chi Minh. Does anyone know what the situation is regarding comfort stops on the journey. Seems to be a long time on the coach without a stop. Does anyone had experience of this type of trip and if there are facilities, what they may be like.

We were on a Princess excursion a few years ago from Vung Tau to Saigon. The bus ride was more like 2-1/2 to 3 hrs total. There was a restroom stop both going and returning. The stop on the way to Saigon was very quick. I didn't get off the bus. The stop on the return seemed to be a nicer place and if you didn't have time to buy those quick souvenirs (hats, "lacquer" boxes, fans, postcards), have no fear--the sellers were either there or followed the buses. Pretty much everything could be purchased for $1 US. I didn't use the facilities on either stop so can't really speak to what they were like. ALthough the ride is long, it is a very interesting ride to see the countryside.

We have just returned from the Asian cruise on the Sapphire Princess which managed to visit every port. We did the Princess day tour from Vung Tau to Ho Chi Minh City and there was a comfort stop along the way (none of the buses used anywhere in Asia had toilets on board). We stopped at a facility which must be used for large gatherings and/or entertainment (it was just a big open area with chairs and a roof in the middle of a paddock.) There was nothing else to see or do there! There was the usual line-up for the ladies to use the western style toilet, so my suggestion to jump the queue is roll up your trousers and use one of the Asian style loos. Don't forget to take tissues or toilet paper and antibacterial hand sanitiser which requires no water or towels.

We were on the 11/2 Sapphire and did a private tour to Saigon. Our guide asked us if we were ready for a "happy stop" meaning we would be happy after we were done. It actually was a small shopping mall and she accompanied us into the rest room (she had to pay for the number of people who went in). They were Western toilets and even had the requisite toilet paper...had my own instead if necessary! It was about a 2 1/2 hour trip for us. Prior to the cruise, I had diligently read the threads from last year and became acquainted with something called Whizaway. You can find it on whizaway.com. We stayed 4 days in China prior to our cruise and this thing was very welcomed for some of the places we visited. Squatting is not my thing!!!:p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing To Do With Rest Stops But, Have You Got Your Tourist Visas For Vietnam And Cambodia, Or Are You Hoping To Have Them Done On Board ??

I Will Be Taking The Rhapsody Cruise Late January And Am Worried About Not Getting Visas For These Countries...

Barry - when we did Vietnam, there was a questionnaire brought to our cabin, we filled it out, turned it in and our visa arrived at our cabin. It cost something like $7, which was charged to our stateroom account. This was on Princess, but I'm assuming it would be very much the same.

Can't help you with Cambodia though - sorry. Maybe do a search to see if this has been answered on another thread here. If not, start a new thread and ask Greatam for info. Very knowledgeable about the region.

Charlie

P.S. In Beijing, we stopped at a four star rest room at the Ming Tomb - it had western seating, toilet paper, ventilation (you have no idea how nice that was!), soap, real paper towels and a plaque outside announcing its rating to the world. We took a photo of it. :D

BARRY...... Just returned (yesterday) from Rhapsody's first effort at this itinerary; we were given documents to fill in for Cambodia -- what a waste of time & $$ - as well as Vietnam -- extra $$ for keeping your passport with you.

So, yes, they did take care of it for us; however, at a cost of $73 per person :eek:

BARRY...... Just returned (yesterday) from Rhapsody's first effort at this itinerary; we were given documents to fill in for Cambodia -- what a waste of time & $$ - as well as Vietnam -- extra $$ for keeping your passport with you.

So, yes, they did take care of it for us; however, at a cost of $73 per person :eek:

You didn't get gouged hardly at all. Normal Cambodian visa (with a USA passport) is $25.00 (I know they state $20.00, but that is if you want to stand in the "backpacker" line and wait all day for the visa-easier to give them the extra $5.00) and "visa on arrival" in Vietnam is normally $35.00 PLUS whatever the " visa approver" for "visa on arrival" gets. If you get your visa for Vietnam in the US, it will cost $30.00 PLUS either FedEx or DHL return envelope (about $15.00).

So I think you got a VERY fair bargain. My Vietnamese visa's (about 3 per year) ALWAYS cost at least $40.00 each for "visa on arrival" and I just give the Cambodians the $25.00, my passport and a picture and get the visa in about 5 minutes. $8.00 NOT to hassle all the stuff would be well worth it in my book.

Archived