1st family cruise question

CNCGUY

hi-

im glad i found this message board.thinking of surprising my wife (and kids) with a cruise in january.was thinking of flying to puerto rico and doing a southern carribean cruise.we have never been on a cruise so im asking if there are any recomendations for a specific cruiseline i should be looking at?any info would be great.

thanks in advance.

On some of the lines- they discount rates to attract Puerto Ricans. I understand that sometimes they take over the ship and that it is louder than usual- just an observation.

This appears to have been a problem on one of the Princess cruises- so I discourage you from doing Princess. I also think you should read the reviews of the ship you choose under "Reviews". Make sure you read the reviews for the cruises leaving out of San Juan.

As for a 8 and 12 year old- I would probably go with Royal Caribbean. They have much to offer this age group, especially their largest and newest ships.

Norwegian is also a good choice. They have freestyle dining, lots of onboard things- waterslides, arcades, etc. Lots of young families. Median age around 45.

I personally love Celebrity but it is pretty sedate. There is an arcade and great organized youth activities but no mini-golf, waterslide or rock-climbing wall.

hi-

im glad i found this message board.thinking of surprising my wife (and kids) with a cruise in january.was thinking of flying to puerto rico and doing a southern carribean cruise.we have never been on a cruise so im asking if there are any recomendations for a specific cruiseline i should be looking at?any info would be great.

thanks in advance.

Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas is a great option. We are also from CT and will be sailing on the Serenade on January 19. This has 5 different ports of call, which is nice for first time cruisers. This will be our daughters' first cruise, (ages 7 & 9). The Adventure Ocean program is great! Our friends' kids have loved it.

***Best of all, there is a residency discount for CT residents on the 01-19-08 Serenade sailing. Check it out. If you do book, check out our roll call thread for the Serenade.

Eric

THANKS thanks for all the replies.eric-

i just checked the 1/19 departure and was wondering where and how i can get pricing for the residential discount?im also waiting to hear back from my travel agent as we dont have passports and the other day was told we dont need them since we are going to puerto rico via plane and as long as we complete travel by 1/31 we are safe,but yet just this morning she changed her story and said she has to double check.in case something should happen on 1 of the islands and we need to fly back we would need a passport.this could put a damper on the whole thing.im trying to surprise the wife with this being a christmas gift.

thanks again,

cncguy

Passports are a controversial topic. There are those, like me, who wouldn't leave the country without one. There are those who think a drivers' license is fine. Your TA is right in that one is currently not needed to cruise, but that there may be an issue if for some reason, you have to fly. This would apply to any cruise, whether it leaves from Puerto Rico or Florida.

Could you surprise your family with a cruise for Christmas, but leave at a later date so that you would have time to get passports? Some on the board have reported that passports are only taking a couple of weeks right now.

Adventure of the Seas also sails out of Puerto Rico. It is a Voyager class ship with some extra amenities for the kids. My older two were 8 and 11 last year on the Navigator of the Seas, also a Voyager class. They had a wonderful time and can't wait to go again. We're going on Adventure of the Seas in March.

CNCGuy,

You have children the perfect age to cruise and both RCI and Princess have lots of options for the children.

On the passport, if something happens the state department does have things in place so you can get home. Don't borrow trouble.

This is being written by a person who has had a passport for over 20 years. If you all enjoy the cruise then you should look into passports.

A wonderful family gift you have found and I hope you all enjoy.

When you go to the RCCL site, and check January 19th, click on "begin reservation." Make sure you enter Connecticut for your state at the bottom of the page. It will bring up cabins that qualify for residency discounts. You can also call RCCL and inquire with them. I find them to be very helpful.

Eric

When you go to the RCCL site, and check January 19th, click on "begin reservation." Make sure you enter Connecticut for your state at the bottom of the page. It will bring up cabins that qualify for residency discounts. You can also call RCCL and inquire with them. I find them to be very helpful.

Eric

hi-

im going to my travel agent in the morning regarding the 19th.its a bit pricey but you only live once and i can't think of a better christmas gift for my wife (and kids).probable fly out of bradley.i would rather leave on a saturday and return on a saturday then sun to sun.ill update this post once i have more info.what would be ideal is if we could fly out on friday,im going to mention that as well.

thanks everyone.

cncguy

During the winter, we usually fly down a day early, just in case there are any weather delays. We live in western CT, and are flying out of JFK on JetBlue on Friday. I like direct flights and they are reasonable priced. I hope to see you onboard.

A cruise will be a Christmas present your family will never forget!

Eric

I guess I have a few questions for you. Since this is your first cruise, what made you choose to cruise out of San Juan? I only ask that because there have been some recent complaints about the ships/passengers leaving from San Juan. Now don't get me wrong, most have NO problems. But I have noticed a recent increase in the amount of complaints about cruises leaving from there.

Direct flights from CT to Orlando (Cape Canaveral Port) or Miami are much more economical. And the ships leaving from those ports are some of the newest on the sea. :)

And generally Eastern Carribean ports are more kid friendly as far as excursions.

We are leaving on a cruise on Sunday. My family has passports our friends do not. It's a risk they decide to take. I'm sure if something happened they would manage to get back it would just take extra work.

As for flying in the same day like I said our cruise is Sunday. The North East is dealing with major flight delays, we are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale where rain is expected same day is a definite risk. Will it be a weather risk your weekend maybe maybe not. Is it a risk you are willing to take? Only you can decide. Our friends have never had an issue until this year. But which year will be the first year. We live in the Ft. Lauderdale area so it doesn't apply to us.

I guess I have a few questions for you. Since this is your first cruise, what made you choose to cruise out of San Juan? I only ask that because there have been some recent complaints about the ships/passengers leaving from San Juan. Now don't get me wrong, most have NO problems. But I have noticed a recent increase in the amount of complaints about cruises leaving from there.

Michele, you tend to notice these complaints in the Fall. They tend to start falling off end of November as ships start filling up again without discounts. Especially Serenade which rarely, if ever, gets complaints about the passenger content onboard. Serenade's ports are extremely kid friendly with tons of beach and water opportunities.

Michele, you tend to notice these complaints in the Fall. They tend to start falling off end of November as ships start filling up again without discounts. Especially Serenade which rarely, if ever, gets complaints about the passenger content onboard. Serenade's ports are extremely kid friendly with tons of beach and water opportunities.

Ahhhhh that makes sense. Yeah there seemed to be so much said lately not only on the RCCL board but the Carnival board about that port as a destination.

Yeah, it really does have to do with time of year. During the fall/hurricane season sailings, many sailings have troubles selling out without discounts. People that live close to those ports tend to be better able to take advantage of those discounts (Floridians on Florida sailings, Puerto Ricans on San Juan sailings, etc). But once the cruises start filling up without discounts (i.e. holiday cruises, January through April, etc), you see less and less of those complaints.

If you've noticed, the posts complaining about passengers on the San Juan sailings on all the boards have dropped off in the last few weeks - because we are back into the really popular cruising time again.

FYI, straight from RCCL website (I left out the stuff for Canadians as the message was too long, sorry):

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000er78qOrZFcEEw-migKEIn6_:12hbiocak

s.gif

s.gif

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) once fully implemented will require all travelers entering or reentering the United States to be in the possession of a valid passport.

Anticipated Implementation

October 1, 2007 - The departments of State and Homeland Security reestablished the valid passport requirements for air travel. Valid passports are required for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States.

As early as Summer 2008 - A valid passport will be required for all sea and air travel. And subject to U.S. Government amendment, U.S. and Canadian citizens 15 or younger with their parents consent may cross the U.S./Canadian border by land or sea with a certified copy of their birth certificate.

Until that time: s.gifs.gifs.gifSea Travel Only For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable.For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

International Travel A valid passport is required; visas are required where they apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Central and South America.

s.gifNon-U.S. Citizens

You will need a valid passport and, in some cases, a visa. If you live in the U.S., you will also need your original Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") and any other documentation the countries on your itinerary require due to your alien status.

To put it simply, no you don't need a passport to cruise...lol. That's the short answer. And yes I have traveled recently with friends who didn't have passports and it didn't take them any longer to get through security/customs then I did with passports.

The reason the TA's are saying to get passports is IF you have an emergency in your family while at a port and it requires you to FLY back into the states....it would be easier with a passport.

But I can tell you, in emergency situations, you will get back into the states.

Direct flights from CT to Orlando (Cape Canaveral Port) or Miami are much more economical. And the ships leaving from those ports are some of the newest on the sea. :)

And generally Eastern Carribean ports are more kid friendly as far as excursions.

hi-

i chose san juan over florida because when i land i want to know that it will be in in the 80's and not the 70's.may sound weird but thats just me.another reason why i chose san juan over florida is because i felt the itinerary is better.i have a lot of research to do tonight before i make the plunge tomorrow.its a shame that airfare from hartford to san juan is $675 a person but i guess if you want to play you have to pay.

hi-

i chose san juan over florida because when i land i want to know that it will be in in the 80's and not the 70's.may sound weird but thats just me.another reason why i chose san juan over florida is because i felt the itinerary is better.i have a lot of research to do tonight before i make the plunge tomorrow.its a shame that airfare from hartford to san juan is $675 a person but i guess if you want to play you have to pay.

I gotcha ;) Those in FLA were just bragging to me tonight (as I sit in icy PA) that it is in the 80's. I think they need a cold front to move in...lol.

I just can't get past the $675 pp airfare and here's why. By saving $675 pp airfare you could do a newer ship and put the whole family in a suite.

I know I am biased. I have admitted it willingly many times. ;) But we really love the RCCL Freedom class ships. For less than the cost of the airfare to San Juan, the whole family could be in a suite with concierge service (that includes complimentary alcohol in the lounge for you and the wife) plus all of the suite perks (VIP check-in, flat screen TV's, surround sound, large bathroom, complimentary gifts). The ships leave from Miami though, not San Juan. There are videos of the ships here...

http://www.libertyoftheseasondemand.com/

If it's all about temperature, you might want to check Miami departures. You'll have a LOT more choices, and the weather will be just about as warm (maybe 75 instead of 80). Like you, we travel from cold to warm in the winter, and it sure is nice to get off a plane in 'summer weather'. This year we're going to have to take light jackets for LA in January, but it will still be a LOT better than what we're leaving behind!! I'm actually expecting it to be kind of nice to have the 'buffer' on this trip. It's always so uncomfortable to get off a plane somewhere hot with clothes on that are warm enough to get from our house to the airport in -40 weather at home. It'd probably save you a couple hundred dollars on airfare as well, that you could spend on an excursion. :)

thanks for the feedback.if i switch from a san juan southern cruise to a miami western (valor) i would save $1400. thats a lot of cash and it seems more tempting!was looking at the eastern from miami and same savings.i did check the rci freedom from miami and for what they have available in january the price is back up to where the puerto rico southern is.

I've gotta say if you want absolutely want warmth on departure then stick with San Juan. If a cold front goes through Florida, it will be downright chilly either on embarkation day or debarkation day plus the first full day of the cruise. I do speak from experience on this, as we encountered temps in the 40s when we disembarked the Jewel in February this year.

I gotcha ;) Those in FLA were just bragging to me tonight (as I sit in icy PA) that it is in the 80's. I think they need a cold front to move in...lol.

Uh yeah one is moving in and so I should be leaving in the rain on Sunday. It should still be in the 80s but raining.

BTW it is December in Ft. Lauderdale & in the 80s so if that is your only reason think of a different on this year. I think we have had 2 days that it hasn't made it to the 80s and on those days it was 78 or 79.

I can't believe that if this cold front actually makes it I'm going to miss it. I'm disappointed I look forward to it getting cold. Well to you northerners cool.

Archived