1st family cruise question

CNCGUY

I did a cruise out of Miami in early January of 2007 and we had a fantastic time and it wasn't cold one minute of our cruise. It was like summer.

From Hartford check airfare on Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale even if you sail out of Miami- for a family you are going to save a bundle. You can take a taxi to Miami or better yet- check out the many cruises leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale (port is 5 minutes/ $15 cab ride with luggage)

thanks for the feedback.if i switch from a san juan southern cruise to a miami western (valor) i would save $1400. thats a lot of cash and it seems more tempting!was looking at the eastern from miami and same savings.i did check the rci freedom from miami and for what they have available in january the price is back up to where the puerto rico southern is.

If I've ever seen a good reason to make a change, that would be it!! :)

You could all do an awesome dolphin encounter and still have plenty left over!! (and I do highly recommend dolphin encounters for kids!)

If it's all about temperature, you might want to check Miami departures. You'll have a LOT more choices, and the weather will be just about as warm (maybe 75 instead of 80). Like you, we travel from cold to warm in the winter, and it sure is nice to get off a plane in 'summer weather'. This year we're going to have to take light jackets for LA in January, but it will still be a LOT better than what we're leaving behind!! I'm actually expecting it to be kind of nice to have the 'buffer' on this trip. It's always so uncomfortable to get off a plane somewhere hot with clothes on that are warm enough to get from our house to the airport in -40 weather at home. It'd probably save you a couple hundred dollars on airfare as well, that you could spend on an excursion. :)

Just so you bring an umbrella. and maybe some layers as San Pedro can average in the 60s during the day and the 40s at night (but could be colder) in January. If you're planning on sightseeing more inland, expect colder weather.

You're probably not going all the way up here, but we've been getting lows in the 30s the last couple of weeks.

Just so you bring an umbrella. and maybe some layers as San Pedro can average in the 60s during the day and the 40s at night (but could be colder) in January. If you're planning on sightseeing more inland' date=' expect colder weather.

You're probably not going all the way up here, but we've been getting lows in the 30s the last couple of weeks.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip! We're actually planning on spending our extra day at the LA Zoo. That will be January 10... do you think we'll be okay?

I'm wondering where 'way up here' is... sounds kinda chilly for sunny California!! (sounds kinda balmy for us in January! :) )

Still yet another option is to save money on airfare (as well as the hassle) and take the Explorer out of NJ, which probably isn't too far of a drive. Sure, it will be cold when you board but it will be cold when you get on the plane too. Instead of dealing with the airport and flying, you can spend the day exploring the ship and by the second day you should have nice and warm weather.

The Explorer sounds like a great idea. The first day you can go ice skating and use the indoor pool and hot tubs. There are so many onboard activities and things to do. Your wife will love to get pampered in the spa. I think the idea of saving the airfare money is a good one and it wouldn't take more than a couple hours drive.

On Royal Caribbean's website it shows the Solarium with retractible roof (adults only). And I suspect on certain sailings (like cold Atlantic ones and Alaskan sailings) that the Solarium pool is available to kids during certain hours.

It's an error on RCCL's website. The Voyager class does not have a roof over the solarium, it's all open air (same with Freedom class).

The Radiance class and Vision class solariums do have roofs and yes on cold weather itineraries, they do have a few hours daily where children are allowed to use the Solarium.

Considering all the indoor activities and how long it takes to get to warmer weather, if I lived that close to a port, I think I would sail every ship and itinerary out of it before I started looking at others. For us, it takes an entire day to fly to any 'warm' port anyway, so a short drive and a day spent relaxing on a ship would definitely be my preference if I had the choice! :)

I can only speak for myself when I say I would be okay with a day or two of cold... but I think that's actually what's in store for me on our upcoming cruise. Mind you, it won't be NJ cold, but we still won't be using the outdoor pools the first day or two.

NYC has a port, too, doesn't it? Perhaps if the OP considered one of the cruises from a closer port where airfare wasn't an issue, they could do two cruises over the next couple of years instead of just one... I know which one I'd go for!! :)

Still yet another option is to save money on airfare (as well as the hassle) and take the Explorer out of NJ, which probably isn't too far of a drive. Sure, it will be cold when you board but it will be cold when you get on the plane too. Instead of dealing with the airport and flying, you can spend the day exploring the ship and by the second day you should have nice and warm weather.

Explorer is a nice ship but the solarium isn't enclosed on the Explorer (no retractable roof) so no swimming until the Carribean.

We live 4 hours from this ship and I have never been on it. The reason, most of the time it is cheaper to fly to Miami/Orlando then to drive to NJ and pay the Explorer prices. ;)

One day I hope to do the Explorer. But right now I can do the newer Freedom ships for less money.

I have done three cruises out of NYC and I love them. Air travel is one of my least favorite things- in fact I hate it so much I did the QM2 back from Europe just to avoid the long flight with a kid- but i digress...

In any event, the drive from Connecticut is probably less than two hours ($40 bucks for a tank of gas) and parking ($ 12 per day). So that a pretty cheap expenditure.

Right now you are looking at at least $ 200 per person to fly to Florida. So thats $ 800 for a family of four plus taxi ($ 30 roundtrip airport to ship in Ft. Lauderdale) plus a hotel the night before because in winter not always a good idea to fly in the day of in case of cancelled or delayed flight. Plus parking at the airport ( $8 per day avg.) in your home town.

So unless the cruise is considerably less- for the aggrevation of plane travel- I'd rather drive.

I have done Carnival Victory to Canada in summer ($ 300 per person), Constellation (10 night for a total of $ 3000 for an balcony stateroom for two), and this Easter we are doing QM2 (a four night for $1400 total for two).

Last Easter my son got sick on the last day of the cruise. Our flight home wasn't until 6PM- so I had to drive around Ft. Lauderdale with a sick kid and finally bit the bullet and purchased tickets to come home sooner. So, I really like the ability to drive to the ship and back.

So for me the savings isn't really that great to do Florida. Plus, I have done Florida so many times now- kind of over it.

They are all so wonderful. I just got back Sat off of the Grandeur of the Seas. I had my two 7 year old sons. I didnt see them on sea days except at meals. RCCL kept the boys so busy. The one night they had a pirate theme and the kids came dressed up on stage and did a funny skit.

They begged to go back. They didnt even want to get off the ship for islands, We were lucky enough to go to Guatamala. What an education they got.

My opinion. go with what islands you want to see most. ALL the ships have a great kids program.

Archived