Jellyfish in Cozumel

brewcrewtj

Hi, a couple of years ago my family and I went to Cozumel in early April. We took the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel excursion offered by Carnival. We had a great time, except for the fact that there were about a million little bitty jellyfish EVERYWHERE!! The crew on the catamaran made a small mentioned about jellyfish, but didn't tell us that there was so many and everywhere. They didn't sting you like the big ones do, more like a mosquito bite. When my 8-year-old son found out that that's what all of these things in the water were, he about drowned me trying to get back to the boat and I got to snorkel all of about 3 minutes. To make a long story short, we are considering another cruise that would include Cozumel and would love to snorkel but I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal with the jellyfish was? Is it a migratory thing? We are going to be going at the same time of year (spring break). Thanks for any info!!

• 2 weeks later...

Our family was there in mid-February this year and it had been really stormy- we were told the storms had stirred things up. When we first went in, it felt like the saltwater was burning our skin, and then we figured it out. It was the worst right after the storms, but by the end of the week, we weren't getting stung at all. (Or we just got used to it!! )

Archived