alaska boarding times

kimcht

can someone please give me an approximate boarding time for the alaska cruises from whittier. the ship doesnt sail until 9:30 pm so am trying to plan the rest of my day, but don't know when we can get on the ship.

has anyone dropped off a rental car in whittier, done a PWS tour and then got on the ship? If so how did it work and what was your time frame?

thanks, kim

Sorry, we did not rent a car . . . we took the 10:00 train, which was beautiful and carefree and we did not have to wait for our luggage, it was sent straight to the ship. We got off the ship and were the first people in line and on the ship by 12:02 :D . It was such a great feeling to walk on the ship, first - it was so quiet.

I live in Alaska, and have taken the PWS tours as a local - and also kicked around Whittier a bit. The PWS tour (there are a few to pick from) is beautiful - but- If you have a balcony on your cruise, I am under the belief you would see much the same, if not more. All the tours out of Whittier, would be back in time for you to get on the ship, the key to Whittier is - getting to Whittier - as you have a tunnel to go through thats only open 2x's an hour enough to get the cars through (10 minutes) - its shared by a train and you drive on the train tracks. So your key to the question should be - how early can you leave Anchorage and get into Whittier with your flight arrival and driving. This will also dictate the tour you will pick. The drive along Turn-again arm, is beautiful. I agree with the previous poster, the best experience form Anchorage to Whittier, is actually the train.

Archived