Southern Caribbean with Toddler- Opinions please

neya

Hello everyone:

We have cruised 7 times before but I am a little lost . We would like to go to the Southern Caribbean this time (been to Eastern Med, Bahamas, Eastern and Western Caribbean twice). This cruise is usually longer (9-10 days) and I would love to get a balcony (which means more money). We can drive to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale which means we don't have to pay for 3 airline tickets. Our favorites cruise lines are Celebrity, RCL (loved voyager class), Princess (sailed on Golden). Which one has a great children's program? Fun itinerary? (I would love to go to St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts) Should I consider Norwegian Cruise Line because of the free style? Our daughter sailed twice before(Carnival and Disney) and she will be 3 1/2 by the time we take this cruise. She did really well at Disney Oceanner's Club and had a lot fun. Leaving her at home is not an option the umbilical cord is still attached to me :D and I don't mind it cause she is a lot fun. This cruise will be special because it will be our 10th wedding anniversary and hubby will turn the big 40!!! HOO! HOO!. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Neya

Everyone has their favorite cruise line but I love, love, love Celebrity. The youth program for the little ones 3-6 years old is fantastic. They have a huge climbing frame with indoor slide, a ball pit, a lovely all glass arts and crafts room and leap frog type videogames. Then there is story time, science, etc, etc, etc. There is an outside play area with sliding board also a baby pool There is a buffet dinner every night that you can sign up for, which frees you up to dine as a couple if you care too.

I should add that the staff on Celebrity is so loving and caring that you won't be hesitant to leave your child there.

There is a limited amount of incabin babysitting (subject to availability) which I utilized and it was very good. If for example you don't want your child to stay up late in the Fun Factory.

All in all I just find Celebrity much more child friendly than even Royal Caribbean. They help carry your tray to the table and are more than happy to come over and get your children drinks, ice cream, etc. I also like that they wait on me- pour coffee, etc. in the buffet. I just find Celebrity to be relaxing- while still exciting enough for the kids.

I've done all the lines and just like Celebrity the best- with Cunard a very close second.

Looking at her age and cruiselines

Celebrity, which I love, she can't go to the kids program unless you are with her, but they do offer in room babysitting.

Princess starts their program at 3 but I think they have to be potty trained.

RCL, never been on, I think also starts their program at 3 but they must also be potty trained.

NCL, my least favorite cruise line, starts their program at 3 but they will page you to come change their diaper.

Everyone has their favorite cruise line but I love, love, love Celebrity. The youth program for the little ones 3-6 years old is fantastic. They have a huge climbing frame with indoor slide, a ball pit, a lovely all glass arts and crafts room and leap frog type videogames. Then there is story time, science, etc, etc, etc. There is an outside play area with sliding board also a baby pool There is a buffet dinner every night that you can sign up for, which frees you up to dine as a couple if you care too.

I should add that the staff on Celebrity is so loving and caring that you won't be hesitant to leave your child there.

All in all I just find Celebrity much more child friendly than even Royal Caribbean. They help carry your tray to the table and are more than happy to come over and get your children drinks, ice cream, etc. I also like that they wait on me- pour coffee, etc. in the buffet. I just find Celebrity to be relaxing- while still exciting enough for the kids.

I've done all the lines and just like Celebrity the best- with Cunard a very close second.

Oh you have no idea how happy you just made me. I was wondering how I was going to manage the buffet if I was alone with my son. I knew some of what you said from my previous cruises, but the only one who carried my tray was my own waiter because well I was a capable adult. LOL This time I won't always be so capable. :p

This climbing frame is this something a toddler could climb? He loves slides but climbing is a new skill for him.

the climbing frame is completely doable for a 3 year old- fear not. It is safe, padded and there is no way for him to fall. YOu'll see when you visit the FF factory the first day. It is open at about 2PM usually on the day of embarkation for the parents and children. There are no planned activites the first day- just orientation. So this is a good way to meet the staff and see the facility. It is the best one I have seen. There aren't as many kids as a rule on Celebrity. The youth program is one of the best kept secrets!

Thanks girls!!!!

Celebrity holds a special place in our hearts because we took our very first cruise on the Century back in 99( loved it) . I am happy to hear about the children's program. I was aprehensive about it because I thought Celebrity was more adult like, but from your point of view they do help you with little ones. Which ship did you sail on (or are going to sail on)? Our little one is potty trained so she will be ok in the playareas/pools. Agains thanks for your help.

Neya

I've been on Century without kids and actually went on an excursion with on of the staff from the fun factory. She was really sweat and I would have had no problems leaving a child with her. I was on the same floor as the fun factory and didn't even know it was there until she told me. I love that ship although I don't like some of the changes they made with the refurb (no thalosotherapy pool :( )

I leave on Sunday for the Millenium. I'll be reporting back all my experiences about that.

BTW in my case my son is too young for the kids program as he is 26 months but I will go in there with him.

I just posted in the "Princess or Royal Carib..." thread about my experience on Princess. I would recommend Princess for the kids program.

We did a So. Carib--St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba.

We did not go anywhere in St. Kitts, but another couple with kids was not too impressed with the beach.

We went to Grand Anse beach in Grenada--if you go, go to the right side of the water taxi pier. The left is more inundated by vendors and has coral on the shore.

Bonaire--walk to the right off the ship to the end of the road. There is a resort called Divi Flamingo. Pay $10/adult, $5/child (infant free) for access to resort including two pools, beach chairs and beach. Also one free fruit punch. The beach is not big, but it is kind of protected and the waves are fun for little ones. Also, affordable snorkeling rentals and the snorkeling is excellent right off the beach. parrot fish come right up to you and ths kids can see them. (bring a roll to entice them).

Aruba- don't do the glass bottom boat tour--it's kind of lame. But a catamaran tour would be fun, or just take a taxi to the many beaches.

Archived