What to do with a 2yr. old...besides leaving them at home!

amy16_

I will be traveling with my husband and 2 yr. old (23 monnths) and I wondered what shore excursions would be age appropriate for her. The long ones are out of the question because there is no going back early. We've been on 2 cruises but no with a child. Any suggestions? We are also going to Roatan, Guatamala, and Cozumel.

Thanks!

We've cruised with grandkids 3 (barely) 4, 5 & 5, and honestly, the best thing to do with young kids is a day at the beach. We went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, which was perfect for them, river tubing and a beach in Jamaica, and snorkeling and sting rays on Grand Cayman. They loved the tubing, loved the boat ride on Grand Cayman, but didn't snorkel or swim with the rays, most of all loved the beaches. They got a little antsy even on the quite short scenic narrated drive on Jamaica. Of course, there were four of them! (Cousins)

I'd go with nice beaches, maybe a zoo, maybe even a boat ride, if your child isn't scared, but you are right to stay away from long, all day bus trips or touring with young children. Maybe with a stroller a little shopping would be tolerated,too.

. . . every environment is foreign, every experience is rich and strange, and rare is the child who will retain memories of anything that happens before his third birthday as he grows older. The question here is more a matter of your stamina and patience in dealing with the baby and with the delays which are inevitable in any tender port. As your child, one assumes, is ambulatory, it is critical that both of you remain alert to ALL of the environment into which you are introducing him ALL of the time. That in itself can be stressful for you.

Every child is different, of course, but the fact is that the Belize Zoo for example is thirty miles inland from Belize City, so to get there you would have a tender ride and then a thirty-mile bus ride, and obviously the same experience on the return, in addition to whatever time you spend at the zoo. I suspect the game is not worth the candle for a 23-month-old child.

Butterfly farms--which may or may not terrify a two-year-old (and here I DO speak from experience, as having been terrified myself by a Tiger Swallowtail that was attracted to sit uninvited on my shoulder by my colorful striped shirt, in Georgetown, Texas, when I was at that age)--are also relatively inland. I think that Nebr. cruiser's suggestion of a beach visit is excellent, and that it would be the best option available to you in Belize: choose a cruiseline-sponsored tour to the nearest island available (to minimize the travel time in a relatively small craft direct from the ship)--perhaps Goff's Caye? as Turneffe or Caye Caulker might be a little farther than you might want--but other travelers can give you better advice on particular destinations. As this is your third cruise, we have to infer that there will be others in your future, when all of you will be able to enjoy the more challenging activities available in Belize. Right now probably all of you will be able to enjoy the comparatively restful environment of beaches--and of course there will be plenty of them along the coast.

If you do not ordinarily deal with beaches at home, please consider carefully and plan ahead. There is no undoing a sunburn if you forget to bring or use sunblock for all of you, and a few incautious hours can ruin an entire cruise for one or all of you (and here I DO speak from experience); there is no cure for drowning; and extremely hot sand or macadam can burn your feet as severely as it can a small child's.

Around islands you may find there are currents which are very deceptive and capable of wearing out the strongest swimmers: and even in the gentle Caribbean with its gorgeous turquoise water there can be tides and currents and dropoff areas which can put you or an unwary spouse at risk. Until you find yourself responsible for a child's welfare as you watch your spouse drifting out to sea on an inner tube or in a current or undertow, you do not know what real fear can be. Fortunately there will be other adults, some of them with boats, who will be able to assist your spouse--NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR CHILD AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE HIM EVEN FOR A MINUTE, EVEN FOR A RESCUE ATTEMPT: HE WILL FOLLOW YOU; and do not suppose you will be able to keep control of your child in the surf, if there is a surf at the beach you visit.

Of course these are "worst-case" scenarios, and there is no reason all of you cannot have a wonderful time at the beach. But it is an environment with unique hazards, and of course you are only twenty-three months into exploring the possibilities. Best wishes for the next eighty years! :D

• 2 weeks later...

My DD has been to belize via cruise 3 times, ages 1, 2 and 4. First trip we did an island beach break which was great. We brought a small pop-up cabana to make sure she always had a shady area to play in which was perfect.

The second two trips we did the Bekize zoo. She is/was a major Dora fan she she knew all the animals and loved seeing them up close.

We are thinking of heading down again on a cruise in April. I think we will do a beach break again this time because she loves being in the water.

I would suggest either the beach or the zoo. Most 2 yr olds love animals and water, you can't go wrong. Whatever you decide on, be sure to bring plenty of things to occupy them during travel time such as, snacks, books, small toys. Most of all be patient and flexible and you will have a great day.

We have been on cruises twice w/our sons (both under the age of 5). We always do beach excursions, and they haved loved it.

Bannister Island (Belize) is great. The beach area is very nice and there is a small play area w/playground equipment that they liked.

Roatan: we went to Barefoot Cay (a small resort) which had a great beach area and pool.

Cozumel: Paradise Beach...excellent beach area.

We had a wonderful time @all of this places, and are planning on going back on our next cruise.

• 1 month later...

Archived