what to do in Nassau, other than Atlantis

gisi102

Hi

I really wanted to go to Atlantis when we are in Nassau. But now I'm thinking of other options because I have heard in a couple of posts that it might not be worth it unless you can do the pools (comfort inn) plus they dont really care for non-guests. Are there other hotels that you could pay for a day pass and feel welcomed and use their pools?

thanks

The hotels in the Cable Beach area will allow you access to their beach and pools no charge. They expect you to bring your own towels, and have a drink, snack or lunch at their pool bars and cafes.

Radisson, Wyndham and Nassau Beach Hotels will have no problem with cuisers.

You can take the #10 jitney from Downtown (just a couple blocks from the dock. The jitney costs $1 each way and you must have exact fare. Just tell the driver you want to stop at the Cable Beach Hotels and pay as you leave the jitney. They will pick you up out front of any hotel on the strip, just flag them down. (Just look for #10 on the front).

The beaches are terrific, calmer waters than Atlantis beach, but I find that a plus.

Have fun!

The pool use has never been an issue for us, because we can use the pool on this ship if we wanted a pool. We've stayed at both Atlantis and Raddison at cable beach, whichever you decide you'll be happy with. But if pool use is a must, then yes...go to cable beach.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

Cable Beach is about 10-15 minutes by cab, a little more if your take the #10 jitney from downtown. There's plenty of time to have a relaxing day at the beach and still be back to shower before dinner.

Cab should be $12 for 2 ppl. $3 for each xtra.

Jitney cost $1 pp, exact fare, pay as you leave the bus.

Help me.......we are going last minute on the Fantasy. The last times in the Bahama's we did thru Disney the Atlantis Beach Break and then went several times to Disney's private island. I just called CCL and was given their rates for a beach day in Freeport and Nassau and they are high!!!

In Nassau are you saying we can take a taxi to the cable Beach area and use their beach, chairs, restrooms and such and just buy some snacks and soft drinks?

Exactly where to tell the taxi driver to take us. We have a 6 and 2.5 year old so we need something laid back, nice beach and restrooms icon_wink.gif......any ideas for Freeport?

I know in Grand Cayman every year we have taxi take us to 7 Mile Beach in front of the Holiday Inn which is always fun and saves $$$ but the "unauthorized GC drivers" will try and take you elsewhere.

Thanks so much for your help. We just booked this yesterday as a last minute trip for our youngest sons 3rd birthday and I will be gone on the Sensation for my "Mommie's only trip" all next week so I am running around like crazy trying to get ready and info now!

Tell your taxi driver to take you to the Radisson at Cable Beach. Walk thru the lobby and out the back door. There's a great pool, terrific beach with Calm water for the little ones, and snaks, drinks etc to be purchased. Bring your own towels.

Bring along your pails and shovels and little snorkels.. it's a fun day at a quiet beach. Have fun!

In case it rains.. theres' a pirate museum for the kids just a couple blocks from the dock. and in gloomy weather (no beach), theres the Adastra Gardens and Zoo.

Thanks so much for the quick reply icon_smile.gif.....I know to travel with sand toys and such but would you recommend that over the Blue Lagoon excursion. Also, is there a charge to use the Radisson's facilities, i.e. chairs etc.???

Any ideas for Freeport? Pirates Beach Break or on our own to the Westin or Sheraton?

Once again thanks!

We took the ferry to Paradise Island, walked down past the Sheraton and accessed Cabbage Beach, which was quite nice through a wide path. We found a parasailing vendor, which is exactly what we wanted, and were very pleased with the price and service. After returning to the shore, we went to the poolside restaurant at the Sheraton, had lunch, dipped in the pool and got back in time for a little shopping and a shower before dinner. I wasn't really looking forward to Nassau but Paradise Island is lovely and we had a great time. I would return again for a few days.

Dawn,Ct.

The beach at Paradise Island has rougher waters, and busier beaches. With little ones, I recommend Cable Beach. The is quite nice and you can walk for quite a ways without the crowds.

You'll find parasailing, jetskis and bananaboats just a few meters down the beach, they are not allowed in front of the hotels.

Theres is no charge at either beach, just bring your own towels.

Radisson, Wyndham and Nassau Beach Hotel are all in a row, you can have lunch or drinks at any of them. Restrooms are available at all hotels.

Don't know much about Freeport.

Cabbage Beach is great for older kids or those who need to stay active.

Originally posted by Disneycruiser#1:

thanks so much for all of the info and help!!![/quote

In case you haven't left yet, I just got back from Fantasy 4/25 and Blue Lagoon was the best place ever! It had a shallow lagoon area that ran like a stream through part of the island, and the water was clear as bathtub water, warm, and the entire place was a DREAM! Perfect place for the kids, and the boat ride over was fun and informative (it was 45 minutes I think). The price to go for most of the day was only $29 per adult, I believe, without the snorkeling or dolphin experience, but it was SO worth it! I will NEVER go back to Nassau without going there again! Fun, Fun, FUN!

Folks ...

If you can, do Blue Lagoon. Book it through the cruise line so there's no risk of missing the ship PLUS you get picked up at the dock instead of having to cab/water taxi over to PI to pick up the ferries.

Blue Lagoon is everyone's idea of the perfect "Gilligan's Island". There's lots to do, the snorkelling's great in good weather, not bad on rough days, the hammocks are perfect for relaxing, the kids have plenty of safe places to swim, and the lagoon is always calm no matter what the northside oceans waves are doing.

BTW, even locals love it - it's a very popular place for family excursions.

Colyn R., Nassau Native

How far apart are Cable Beach and Atlantis? Are they on the "same side of town"? I want to go to both but have no idea where they are in relation to one another.

Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;8;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival's Fantasy 20 Year Class Reunion

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;6;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<MARQUEE></MARQUEE>

Cable Beach and Atlantis are on oposite sides of the island (actualy 2 islands with a bridge).

Personaly, I find Atlantis to be overpriced and too big for my taste.

If you are in town from 12 - 7, then I would go to cable beach for a nice beach day. They Wyndham has a great grill next to the pool and a HUGE water slide for the kids...no charge. The beach is better next door (at the radisson), but they are like 50 feet from each other. Sit on the beach, go to the grill for lunch, go down the slide and then back to the beach.

Leave around 4:30, and take the bus back to town. Walk around the straw market for about a 1/2 hour, haggle and buy some cheap t-shirts ("I'm a Bahama Mama kid", or whatever)have a beer at one of the bars on the water, and get back on ship around 6.

Nassau is great for all of that. What I would pass on is any big excursion, unless you want to swim with the Dolphins. Save the excursions for a better local.

FYI - Do not take a cab! The cost is crazy there, and the bus is great! My wife thought I was nuts the first time I said to take the bus, but after that INSISTED that we take it. She said that she would rather buy jewlery or t-shirts that pay for a cab...and that's about the cost! icon_wink.gif

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Yes $1 US or Bahamian per person, each way. The jittneys are a unique experience. There are little jumpseats that come down in the aisles, so just when you think the bus is full....they stop for more people and you drop down the little seats!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived