Ropa Vieja Restaurant

thejuliars

I'm looking for a restaurant to take my family of 12 (pre-cruise treat) to that won't blow the whole trip budget but still have good food and a nice atmosphere. I've read some good things about Ropa Vieja, but not a word about the ambience. I'm not looking for cheap-cheap, but still want to keep it reasonable We'll be staying in Condado at the Comfort Inn, so could probably walk to Ropa Vieja, which has some advantages.

What can anybody tell me?

Thanks.

I'm looking for a restaurant to take my family of 12 (pre-cruise treat) to that won't blow the whole trip budget but still have good food and a nice atmosphere. I've read some good things about Ropa Vieja, but not a word about the ambience. I'm not looking for cheap-cheap, but still want to keep it reasonable We'll be staying in Condado at the Comfort Inn, so could probably walk to Ropa Vieja, which has some advantages.

What can anybody tell me?

Thanks.

We ate there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Authentic local and Mexican food, very nice ambience and reasonable prices (we paid more for lunch at Barrachina Village than we did for dinner at Ropa Vieja). And, the dinner crowd included lots of locals.

Jodi

Ropa Vieja is a cuban restaurant. They have some puerto rican plates but most of their menu is cuban.

For authentic puerto rican try Ajili Mojili (sunday brunch is the best) located close to ropa vieja, or the less expensive and popular Bebo's Cafe.

also in the historic district you have Raices, El Jibarito

Ropa Vieja is one of our regular places to eat in Condado.

Never had a bad meal or bad service there.

Menu is very extensive - try the Rissoto with pork rind (appertizer).

It is a very popular spot with locals as well as tourists and on weekends they usually have live music (keyboard and vocals).

Hope this helps

Coqui @ www.visit-the-coqui.com (personal blog on PR)

It sounds good. I cannot, however, find an address for it. I did find its general location on Mapquest, but can't tell whether it's on Ashford or one of the other routes to Old San Juan from Condado. We'll be staying at the Comfort Inn in Condado, and I'm wondering whether it's within walking distance.

I'm also wondering about the ambience. Some of the authentic cuisine places have good food but aren't very special (I think of Cafe de Angel, where we ate a really good meal, but it isn't any place we want to take the family for a special meal. Is the dining room nice? Does it have a water view? I'm not looking for fancy, but I want it to be a nice experience.

It's too bad the live music is only on weekends, since we'll be there on a Thursday night, but maybe because it's Christmas vacation week (we'll be there Dec 27) they will have music.

Thanks, all, for your comments and your help!

It's on Ashford, on the water side, but it doesn't have a view except of the street. It's near the Chili's and Ajili-Mojili, in that general area. Haven't been there in a while, but it's definitely a restaurant and not a dive or a "fonda" (local version of a diner). Not fancy, but it's not cheap and I think it's a nice place for family. Again, I haven't been there in a year or so, so I hope things haven't changed much!

It's almost opposite Ajili Mojili's

It has a very nice ambience and you will probably find large tables (families) and couples dining there. waiters are very good and they have valet parking (if you are driving)

We go fairly regularly, although they are opening another Ropa Vieja Grill in Guaynabo (which is much closer for us) - but we will still head to Condado also.

Hope you have a great meal

We ate there last Sunday night. Entrees are about $15-30 per person (lower end for pollo/carne con arroz (chicken/beef with rice) and higher end for seafood). They did have a good selection of appetizers if you prefer that approach to ordering off the menu. The restaurant itself is clean and modern. It is not a large restaurant, but they are well equipped to handle groups of your size. Our service was prompt, and the waiter corrected me politely when I accidently ordered beans and rice as both a first course and a side dish with my entree. We have been there twice now, and will likely return next time we are in San Juan.

Archived