Maybe they don't hate your kids - maybe it's just you!

6rugrats

OK now that's funny. I like that, make them clean up.

We've had a lot of arguments when I've wanted to bring him to the doctor. I've always known is asthma was coming on before the symptoms were real obvious. Must be mothers instinct. My husband will say oh that cough is nothing. I know that cough is different. My husband will wait till near ER status if not longer and that's the last thing I want.

My mother was like that with my brother (he was asthmatic and had pneumonia several times growing up). She used to get in arguments with the nurses at the pediatric clinic because they'd wonder why she'd bring a "healthy" child into the doctor. Only once did he not have pneumonia, and that time he was sick, he just didn't have pneumonia yet.

Don't you hate it when people - especially medical professionals - won't listen when you KNOW something is wrong? I just found out today that a friend of mine, who was waiting for knee surgery, had her doctor move and the new doctor saw her walking and so downgraded her status on principle. She then had to have emergency surgery because her knee literally fell apart. Her two sons had to grip her upper and lower leg and pull them back into position. I can't even imagine how painful it must have been. They politely said to the doctor, 'So... do you think maybe she was at the level we thought?' and of course he agreed.

Men can be such babies. All fear aside, though, if you do plan on being away from them for any extended periods, your husband really should take some time to familiarize himself with the health issues. My husband didn't have to do much with mine other than feed her (and I think my mom may have had them over for supper a few times), play with her, and put her to bed. No illnesses, no meds. Of course, he's familiar with her when she's sick too... until recently, because of the 'breast feeding bond', whenever she would throw up, she needed to cuddle with Mommy... so Daddy naturally had to clean up!! I NEVER complained!!! :)

I've mentioned this before -- I (not entirely without forethought) married a man who was the middle child of five boys. His Mom and Dad both worked outside the home AND they had a family farm. DH was the third of four boys who came along within 6years. The two older boys came home from school and did farm chores, the two younger boys (including DH) came home and did the house chores.

12 years later along comes brother number 5. DH was expected to take care of baby brother.

Fast forward 20 years. I met him when he was in his 30's. Living alone and responsible for his own household. We married when he was 45, He had 45 years of taking care of himself under his belt. DD came along a year later.

While I nursed, he and I did share just about all of the other baby chores. He has ALWAYS been there for her -- coaching her curling team, serving on the soccer board -- he even got a special award from her Girl Scout's Service Unit for his participation in GS events.

He sorts and does the laundry -- I fold an put away. We share cooking and cleaning up chores. He does the floors -- I do the bathrooms. He is still not capable of sewing on a button or ironing (or rewiring a lamp!), but he can bake bread from scratch!

Ladies, You just have to know with whom to fall in love! :D

Archived