Celebrity charge for Carnival Parade

jdymiller

• 1 month later...
Has anyone seen the new "optional" excursion for $380pp for the Jan 31 Rio Cruise? I thought when we booked this was to be included. Maybe, we can all jump ship if they enforce this charge.

I am just seeing your message from September so I checked the excursion options and was shocked to see the high charge for this excursion. Have you learned more? I am new to this message board so I hope I will be able to find my way back to your answer. If you like, you can e-mail me at jkbazemore@aol.com. We are booked to go on this cruise Jan. 31, 2005.

I, too, thought the Carnival Parade at the Sambadrome was included. We are looking at this for 2006.

That said, tickets to the Sambadrome range from $200.00-700.00. That does not include the box seats on the Mezzanine. Those boxes start at $10,000 per night for 10 people. See this link for info on ticket prices.http://www.bitourism.com/events.asp?mg=3&evid=66

If Celebrity has arranged for reserved bleacher seats in sections 9 or 11(and they are not really seats-just concrete steps), $380.00pp is not a bad price. I will try to post a picture of the empty Sambadrome so you can see what you are getting yourself into. Doesn't that price include transport to and from the ship plus the seat? What they call the "numbered chairs"-the frisas-6 chairs in kind of a box with a table start at $500.00pp.

We were in Rio 2 years ago. Inquired about tickets to the Sambadrome festivities. They were sold out by Dec. 15.

It is also VERY crowded during Carnival. And a little dangerous. Think New Year's Eve in Times Square and multiply by 4. LOTS and LOTS of thieves, pickpockets, and robbers. It would definitely be best to go with a group.

The Samba Parade at one time was a public event through the streets of Rio-much like a Mardi Gras parade. But huge crowds and other problems led to it being held in the Samabadrome. For a great look at the original Samba parade see the classic movie "Black Orpheus." Now the parade requires tickets. But it is the main event of Carnival and if you are lucky enough to have acces to tickets do not miss it. Non-Portuguese speaking folks might have a really hard time navigating the public street events alone and Celebrity's excursions are the wisest choice.

Archived