1ST CARNIVAL CRUISE-MIRACLE-Dec.2

swimsimcoe

First cruise on Carnival & have a few thoughts.

Loved everything about layout of ship-hidden nooks,tons of seating everywhere,etc.

Thought the service was ok but not outstanding-was never adressed by name,etc as on other ships.

Food was average-definitely not as high quality at lunch as Holland America for example.Not nearly the variety-procuitto,smoked salmon,seafood salads,etc.

Same boring late night food almost every night.H;amburgers.pizza and the same 2 kinds of cookies the entire week-although the desserts at lunch were lovely.

Very limited info on ports the night before-again as on other ships.

Although Carnival seems to be going after the older crowd-I am one of them-the entertainment was good but again mainly singing-not much variety.

Plus no dance music for older crowd except one night during the early seating dinner and just before the late seating-one couple was there to dance-evaeryone else couldn't get there in time.

Manila band was fabulous.

And finally-others have said that Carnival is best value for the money-paid the same on Holland America Westerdam and was much more impressed with all the extra touches and quality of food.

Oh yeah-you would never have to carry your own tray on that ship if you had a cast on you foot-as my friend did or were having any trouble-definitley not so on the Miracle.

Everyone seemed to do there job but did not go the extra step.

and please,you Carnival experts,do not answer with any nasty thoughts-this was just my-and my friends-experience.None of us-plus about a hundred people we spoke to or heard were overly impressed. especially with the food.(love eavesdropping)

At least you gave it a try ..... sounds like Holland America is the cruise line for you!:p

I agree. I think the OP should stick with Holland America. Nothing to defend as what the OP posted is true.

For me, 5 days on any line for $259 will get me everytime. At this stage in my life I do not need to have my tray carried and I am perfectly happy with the food served, but if things ever change, I will know I will need to choose a different line.

I agree. I think the OP should stick with Holland America. Nothing to defend as what the OP posted is true.

For me, 5 days on any line for $259 will get me everytime. At this stage in my life I do not need to have my tray carried and I am perfectly happy with the food served, but if things ever change, I will know I will need to choose a different line.

I agree,any cruise is a good ne-but if have the choice will pick the best at the time.As far as Holland America-the Westerdam-the ship I was on before the Miracle was outstanding but different from other Hal ships-better-more stuff happening at night and more of mixed group.Other Hal ships were a bit too quiet at night for me at night.

Love checking them all out.

going on NCL and Celebrity Millenium in March.As long as they all cook for me-I am a caterer-I'm there.

Tell me more about the differences in the food. I would love to hear.

all weird cuz someone just posted that they loved the Miracle food.

The difference is

Almost everything in the dining room on the Miracle comes with very very creamy potatoes or something else mushy.

IN the lido buffet-no high quality stuff like seafood salads,coldcuts-they had ham and mortadella most days-no procccuito,smoked salmon,etc.

The fruit had absolutley no flavour and no-or hadly any pineapple-that other ships have tons of in the Caribbean.

Late night food was always pizza,hambugers,fries-changed 2 nights only.Dessert always 2 kinds of cookies and brownies-always.

Only 2 kinds of cookies every single day.the same ones always.

Other stuff but hey-the yogurt was great.

the food was not bad but not exciting and obviously not the more expensive cuts of anything.

all weird cuz someone just posted that they loved the Miracle food.

The difference is

Almost everything in the dining room on the Miracle comes with very very creamy potatoes or something else mushy.

IN the lido buffet-no high quality stuff like seafood salads,coldcuts-they had ham and mortadella most days-no procccuito,smoked salmon,etc.

The fruit had absolutley no flavour and no-or hadly any pineapple-that other ships have tons of in the Caribbean.

Late night food was always pizza,hambugers,fries-changed 2 nights only.Dessert always 2 kinds of cookies and brownies-always.

Only 2 kinds of cookies every single day.the same ones always.

Other stuff but hey-the yogurt was great.

the food was not bad but not exciting and obviously not the more expensive cuts of anything.

Not true.....there is an alternative menu that serves:

Starter

Black Tiger Shrimp Cocktail

• With American Cocktail Sauce

Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Main Course

Broiled Fillet of Fresh Pacific Salmon

• Served with Vegetables of the Day

Grilled Breast of Corn Fed Chicken

Premium Black Angus Jumbo Burger

• Served on Freshly Baked Bun with Traditional Garnish and Golden Fries

Grilled New York Strip Steak

• Served with Vegetables of the Day and Red Bliss Potatoes

Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

• Served with Creamy Coleslaw, Grilled Spring Onion and Fries
  • Offed when a New York Strip Steak is offed on the Main Menu

Side Items

• Baked Idaho Potato
  • French Fries
  • Steamed White Rice
  • Assorted Steamed Vegetables

So you could have definitely had plainer food if you wanted it.

Not true.....there is an alternative menu that serves:

Starter

Black Tiger Shrimp Cocktail

• With American Cocktail Sauce

Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Main Course

Broiled Fillet of Fresh Pacific Salmon

Grilled Breast of Corn Fed Chicken

Premium Black Angus Jumbo Burger

• Served on Freshly Baked Bun with Traditional Garnish and Golden Fries

Grilled New York Strip Steak

• Served with Vegetables of the Day and Red Bliss Potatoes

Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

• Served with Creamy Coleslaw, Grilled Spring Onion and Fries
  • Offed when a New York Strip Steak is offed on the Main Menu

Side Items

• Baked Idaho Potato
  • French Fries
  • Steamed White Rice
  • Assorted Steamed Vegetables

So you could have definitely had plainer food if you wanted it.

Sandi, you beat me to it. Plus, in my review you can see all the pics of the different sides that came with meals.

Also, late night food wise, you could always order off the room service menu. There was quite a variety on there other then pizza and burgers and such.

I loved the fruit on board...I thought it was great...and if I read right, we were on the same cruise. As I have seen with many of the reviews, some of the food was either touch and go, or people have certain tastes compared to others. Im a foodie, Im not gonna lie, I got some gross things, which I said in my review, but all in all, I thought the food was great, especially for the price of an 8 day cruise.

Dont listen Miracle, he didnt mean it...it will be ok....;)

Thanks for the review, since I still have my teeth, I will just stick with Carnival :D

Fred

ROTFLMAO :D Too funny. I sailed the Miracle and loved it. I especially liked the sushi. YUMMM I definitely think the OP needs to stick with Holland westerdam of whatever it's called. Just seemed like she was looking for things to complain about. If you didn't like the food, take it back and ask for something else. I was enjoying myself way too much to be upset about how mushy the potatoes were. And who cares if someone carries your tray back to your table? If you have the ability to carry it, why can't you do it yourself? You already have someone cleaning your room, cooking your meals, and entertaining you. Do you want them to help bathe and dress you too??

To the OP, sorry you didn't enjoy the Miracle. Hopefully you'll have a better time of the other cruiselines.

And finally-others have said that Carnival is best value for the money-paid the same on Holland America Westerdam and was much more impressed with all the extra touches and quality of food.

Interesting. My mom just got off a Holland America cruise on 12-08-07 on the Zuiderdam and she complained that the food was lousy. She also stated it appears that HA has been "Carnivalized." :rolleyes:

and no-or hadly any pineapple-that other ships have tons of in the Caribbean.

I did find this to be true when I sailed the Miracle in '06. I was looking for fresh pineapple and I believe I only saw it out one day. That was a minor thing though. We loved the Miracle.

Just back from my 1st Carnival cruise since 3 on Celebrity and 1 on Princess. I missed the smoked salmon at breakfast and english muffins. IMHO the food was not as good as previous Carnival cruises. Celebrity (not any more $$$) has better food and selections. Most disappointed in the Lido food. Dinners in the D.R. were good but it took them a few tries to get a steak rare.

ROTFLMAO :D Too funny. I sailed the Miracle and loved it. I especially liked the sushi. YUMMM I definitely think the OP needs to stick with Holland westerdam of whatever it's called. Just seemed like she was looking for things to complain about. If you didn't like the food, take it back and ask for something else. I was enjoying myself way too much to be upset about how mushy the potatoes were. And who cares if someone carries your tray back to your table? If you have the ability to carry it, why can't you do it yourself? You already have someone cleaning your room, cooking your meals, and entertaining you. Do you want them to help bathe and dress you too??

To the OP, sorry you didn't enjoy the Miracle. Hopefully you'll have a better time of the other cruiselines.

I knew someone would come on and be sarcastic-you take it much too personally.I said that it is great having all that stuff but was also saying that for the same price or close some other lines go the extra mile.Had a friend with a broken foot and she only had someone offer to help her once.and what is wrong with wanting another kind of cookie?I bet if someone says something that you don't agree with you always get nasty.

Stick with Holland America where food is king. You can also try sleepy Princess. You obviously do not appreciate the fun ships! We were on the Miracle for the SuperBowl cruise of 2007 and could not have had a more fun ship crowd. All the bartenders called us by name (pictures on flickr). Dance parties were everywhere especially late nights in the disco. Are you sure you were on the Miracle?:cool:

Interesting. My mom just got off a Holland America cruise on 12-08-07 on the Zuiderdam and she complained that the food was lousy. She also stated it appears that HA has been "Carnivalized." :rolleyes:

Thats to be expected with any big conglomerate. There will always be homogenization among the brands. Its just the cheaper way to do business. Seems like all the Carnival Corp. lines have Spirit and Conquest Class ships.

The bad part is that Cunard and HAL are more likely to end up being like Carnival, than vice versa. Not that being like Carnival is bad, but the blue bloods want elegance, and Carnival is mostly for the blue collars.

I knew someone would come on and be sarcastic-you take it much too personally.I said that it is great having all that stuff but was also saying that for the same price or close some other lines go the extra mile.Had a friend with a broken foot and she only had someone offer to help her once.and what is wrong with wanting another kind of cookie?I bet if someone says something that you don't agree with you always get nasty.

LOL OK, honestly I could care less about your experience with Carnival because I've always had a wonderful time with them. I just simply stated that it seemed like you were looking for things to complain about. I'm not a cookie fan myself but that sucks they didn't have more of a selection for you. Had I wanted a different cookie than they offered well sure I would've been sad for a second but they have plenty more desserts to choose from. I'll just get something else and go on my merry way.

It just seemed like you let little trival things "ruin" a perfectly good cruise. Since I pay for my cruises I'm determined to have a good time, being disappointed and upset are not options. But then again I'm a roll with the punches kinda girl. Stick with Holland since that seems to be a better cruiseline for you and hopefully you'll enjoy your other cruises. :)

Archived