Two Princess Platinums Try RCI for the First Time Aboard the Mariner

Projunior

very good review..honest and unbiased.

I too am Platinum on Princess and Diamond on RCI. I just came back at the end of November from Emerald Princess. While I have read much negativity about this ship personally we enjoyed it and liked our cruise..of course there were a few bothersome things but nothing that would keep us from sailing Princess again. They really do excel in their itineraries.

I do prefer RCI but Princess is a good change of pace.

I do agree with your opinion that Mariner has a better layout and I just think after just sailing on Emerald one of the largest Princess ships that RCI just does large ships better.

Also do not like the theatre on Princess and who could not just love the awesome stage curtain on Mariner and the RCI ships

I have always felt the merchandize in the Princess shops too are better and more varied.

Where I do not agree and this is a big point for me personally is the absolute disaster of the layout of the Horizone Court on Princess.. I find that whole area very frustrating.

Now the comment on bingo... I was very surprised on my recent Emerald 10 day that the bingo jackpot only got to about 2,500 dollars where on my RCI cruises I have seen the jackpots get up to 12,000...:eek: I guess the cost of the games must have something to do with it.

One way I feel Princess can improve is by having your account available on the incabin TV. They also do not issue receipts for drinks now. When I questioned them about it they said they will give a copy if you ask. At least this was my experience on Emerald. Now this I can see would make keeping track of your spending a bit more difficult especially since you cannot view your account on your cabin tv. We would go to Guest Relations a couple of time to have a printed copy so we could look it over.

When reading your review other than the Horizon Court comments you expressed my exact views..thanks for taking the time to do the review

Princess and RCL are my favorite cruisel ines - I enjoyed your comparison immensely and agree with it mostly except for two things - the food and the shows.

I thought RCCL's food was much better than Princess - Princess serves too much seafood and I don't like seafood.

I've sailed on the Explorer and Freedom and felt that the shows on the Crown were much better. I agree with what you say about the size of the theater on the Crown but I did like the comedians in the alternate venues on the Crown.

Great job on the comparison.

I really enjoyed reading your review. We haven't tried Princess, yet, but it is one line that we are always considering. Your comments help us to make the decision to give them a try.

I haven't been on the Mariner, but have been on it's sister ship (Navigator) and we both really enjoyed the light "fare" in the promenade cafe especially coming back on board from a day in port. The sandwiches varied daily and the cookies were always fresh and yummy (not hard and crunchy). Sorry you didn't get the same on your cruise. I'm looking forward to the Mariner relocating to the west coast (where I'm located) and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they improve their cafe by the time they get here!!!:p

Thanks again for your review.

Thank you for the review... we were on the same sailing as you, and had a fabulous time... we were first time cruisers!!

I have an Aunt who cruises Princess- and loves it- nice to see a comparison.

I loved the Mariner, and would DEFINITELY sail her again!!! :D :D :D (now if only I could convice DH!! :rolleyes: )

Thank you for the review, after two Cruises this year, one with RCL which was average and one with Carnival, we would sooner visit the dentist for a week.

We have been looking at Princess, you may have convinced us.

Ship please, I have 23 cruises including the last two in the Carrib, the others in the Med, my wife is an ex Celeb maitre d, thank you again.

Archived