Do people not goto the dining room on the last night because they don't want tip?

awinner

So what is an average amount to tip the restaurant staff, do you tip the waiter his assistant, the wine waiter, the guy that clears the plates, where do you draw the line. Do you hand them the cash? or hand them an envelope. Do some of the wait staff look down on you because you are not tipping them enough.

In the UK you usually just leave a tip on the table, or if paying by a debit card,credit card when they bring the card machine to your table (hand held computer one) you can add in yout tip, usually £2 or £3 pounds depending on the amount of the meal and how posh the restaurant is. I wouldn't for instance tip in Pizza hut, the rules for UK and USA seem very different.

This will be our first cruise and don't want to embarress ourselves but we are not made of money. We personnally find it uncomfortable just walking upto someone had handing them money.

Lots of questions - sorry.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter Monday.

I don't see a problem with tipping automatically at the end of the trip on the credit card.

Some nights I don't feel like getting dressed up and feeling overstuffed because I ate for 2 hours straight. Sometimes I rather be running around the ship than at the dinner table. I didn't think anyone cared! Now going the the boards I am more aware of the cruise culture.

Still I tipped everyone appropriately even I only went to formal dinner one time. Casual dining is fine for me too some nights.

I know we ate in Portofinos the last night of RCI cruise a few years back- but my husband still visited the dinningroom to give our waiter and his assitant their tip envelopes. It is nice tha tis no longer needed.

Huskypup - your going to be fine. I think the hoopla is the folks that remove the prepaid/automatic whatever you want to call them tips AND THEN fail to tip in person. I cannot imagine that the norm is to autotip and then tip heavily on top of that. In my eight cruises I never saw that, some where pre autotip.

I have removed autotips - I won't lie - for my cabin steward - I vacuumed our cabin, I had to look for toilet paper (found it from another steward), I had to ask a steward in the hall for clean towels. He did not get a tip - he did get a letter of explination w/a copy to his supervisor.

That said, I don't walk around handing out money and have seen only a few who do - they're loud and easy to spot - perhaps a means of attracting attention and showing off? If you receive superior service and want to tip more do so. If you do not feel extra is warranted that is fine too.

As for the poster who mentioned what happens to the autotips going to salary and what not - I do not doubt you at all, but I find that somewhat tough to believe. Surely if that were the case people would not renew their work contracts, and word would get around the popular countries for hiring, poeple wouldn't willingly sign on to get scammed. A friend of DS's is actually working on a Carnival ship for the first time - he should be home soon - I'll ask him, not in an email to the ship but in person so his answer can be an honest one.

Sorry to go on and on...but I really liked this thread - one of the first related to tipping where slashing and burning didn't take place.:)

So what is an average amount to tip the restaurant staff, do you tip the waiter his assistant, the wine waiter, the guy that clears the plates, where do you draw the line. Do you hand them the cash? or hand them an envelope. Do some of the wait staff look down on you because you are not tipping them enough.

What we've done in the past is leave an envelope (sealed) in our cabin, highly visible, with the name of the cabin steward on it, with the tip inside. For our waiter and asst. waiter, we've taken envelopes to leave on the table with their names written on them. I've always just left the envelopes beside the last plate I'm served.

I don't like to feel like I'm "bestowing" something on someone, and feel the named envelopes is the best solution for me.

Prior to auto-tipping, we were tipping the cabin steward $10/day per person, the waiter $10/day per person, and the assistant waiter $5/day per person. I **think** that was a bit high, but HAL had no guidelines at the time, so we did what seemed "right".

Now, with the split of autotips, I suspect that if we are happy with our staff (not delirious, over-the-moon, & thrilled, just satisfied) I suspect it'll be something like $10/day for the two of us for the steward and waiter, & $5/day for the two of us for the assistant waiter. Those are the only 3 I've ever tipped, having never used the services of the wine steward, bartenders, etc.

Not to say that tipping over and above the auto-tip is required. I just think the people on board work so darn hard, as a rule, that they should receive some sort of appreciation. And cash and treating them with respect is always better than anything else.

I posted that about the tipping. Of course it's hard to believe..but when you compare what these people have to find for work in their native land, many of them can suck up the crap and continue with the job. Read the book "Cruise Blues" that will explain all of it. Also I am speaking experience having been the gf of al ong time NCL waiter, who I still hear from..and he confirms it's still the way.

Huskypup - your going to be fine. I think the hoopla is the folks that remove the prepaid/automatic whatever you want to call them tips AND THEN fail to tip in person. I cannot imagine that the norm is to autotip and then tip heavily on top of that. In my eight cruises I never saw that, some where pre autotip.

I have removed autotips - I won't lie - for my cabin steward - I vacuumed our cabin, I had to look for toilet paper (found it from another steward), I had to ask a steward in the hall for clean towels. He did not get a tip - he did get a letter of explination w/a copy to his supervisor.

That said, I don't walk around handing out money and have seen only a few who do - they're loud and easy to spot - perhaps a means of attracting attention and showing off? If you receive superior service and want to tip more do so. If you do not feel extra is warranted that is fine too.

As for the poster who mentioned what happens to the autotips going to salary and what not - I do not doubt you at all, but I find that somewhat tough to believe. Surely if that were the case people would not renew their work contracts, and word would get around the popular countries for hiring, poeple wouldn't willingly sign on to get scammed. A friend of DS's is actually working on a Carnival ship for the first time - he should be home soon - I'll ask him, not in an email to the ship but in person so his answer can be an honest one.

Sorry to go on and on...but I really liked this thread - one of the first related to tipping where slashing and burning didn't take place.:)

Interesting topic....on my first cruise (hubby's 3rd I think) we did the auto-tip. Our last night in the dining room we realized....uhhh why is everyone handing our waiter the envelopes....that we left in our room...*sigh* we're retards....have him run back and get them and pass them out. I think if you auto-tip there shouldn't be the grand envelope ceremony (unless of course you want to go above and beyond for the level of service you receive). I also wonder if that factors in as a sort of nudge for those who DON'T tip.

With the kiddos' spring break cruise coming up I figured it out to be that every night, no matter if we eat in the dining room or not, the waiter and his asst. will receive a total of a $22 tip....which means dinner should have been somewhere around $150 for the 15%....I do not begrudge them their tips...but I do know, there are many place we eat that are on par for cruise line food and our dinner bill each night is never 150! Just my opinion...YMMV....

I sure hope not. Just because someone ate somewhere else on the last night doesn't mean they didn't tip. Maybe prepaid, or stopped in to dining room earlier to give envelope.

That is what I said about us. Now our tablemates may have assuemd we did not tip- I have no idea and I do not care either. What we do is out of appreciation for the service rendered-not for show in front of others.

Personally it is very rude and inconsiderate and even if I received poor service I would still tip.......and then write a letter to the line explaining the situation. We have spoken to several waiters who told us that they can tell right off the bat who will tip and who doesnt....I guess they just know.

I disagree. Why would you still leave a tip if you had bad service?

TIPS To Insure Prompt Service

I was a fine dining waiter for 5 years. (college) It is true that a seasoned waiter can tell a good tipper from a bad tipper/non-tipper with about 90% accuracy.

I worked my butt off in order to give good service, and I made more $ than anyone in the restaurant, including the managers. If I screwed up a table, I never expected a tip. Other servers didn't care, and their income showed that they were bad servers.

Same restaurant: Sunday brunch. 18% tip was included on every bill. A funny thing, the bad tippers that we could pick out of a crowd, more times than not, they would go to the manager and ask that the auto-tip be removed, even though they has perfect service. They would either walk out without leaving anything, or go back to the table and drop a few dollars down. (FYI: brunch was $60 PP)

Some people will always find a way to be cheap. That's why cruiselines initiated the auto-tip, and the service throughout the cruise industry has definitely went downhill from where it once was when the crew had to "work" for the tips.

I disagree. Why would you still leave a tip if you had bad service?

TIPS To Insure Prompt Service

I was a fine dining waiter for 5 years. (college) It is true that a seasoned waiter can tell a good tipper from a bad tipper/non-tipper with about 90% accuracy.

I worked my butt off in order to give good service, and I made more $ than anyone in the restaurant, including the managers. If I screwed up a table, I never expected a tip. Other servers didn't care, and their income showed that they were bad servers.

Maybe I am one of the lucky one who I dont believe ever INTENTIONALLY received poor service, it is usually a result of a slow chef, overworked waiter or hey maybe the waiter had a bad day, we are all entitled to one. I just dont have the heart to not leave any type of tip, although cruises are a bit different I would rather request another table then suffer for the remainder of the time with poor service and then not leave anything.

The comment cards at the end of the cruise are very helpfull and I always leave a very long description of both positives and negatives..

Also I tend to live by the Golden Rule(Do Unto Others.....)

Im surprised that some of you went after this poster right out of the shoot. they didnt accuse everyone who choose not to attend the last nights dinner of stiffing, they merely "wondered how many do". i thought some of you were a bit harsh with your comments. Frankly, i find cruisers to be generally cheap, overly picky people myself...but thats just me, thats been my experience.

But anyway...

i have a tipping rule. before i say it, let me state that i think i am a decent tipper. 10%-30% based on my service at a restaurant. And rarely do i have an issue that would make me drop below 15%, almost never. that being said, i will never...EVER...let someone tell me how much to tip. not even a cruise ship. When i walked in my room last time, I tipped my guy $30 right off the bat and asked him for an extra chair for my deck. all i said was...nicely... "find one for me will ya?", he didn't take more than 1 second to say it couldnt be done. needless to say i wasnt happy. I thought maybe he would make it happen eventually. or maybe do a little something special for us for his $30, but he never did. as a matter of fact, i never heard from him basically until the last night. I figured a basic tip for him and then took off $30 that i opened with. I read so many posts where people on cruises handed a tip up front and were surprised by robes, or something. I wasn't really expecting gifts, but i wasn't expecting to never see the fella. My waiter was awesome! i tipped him very well. My wine steward...well...never used him, never saw him until the last night he came around sniffing for a tip. I just don't part with my money because someone said so. I look at the cruise ship tip suggestions but i wont let them dictate to me what to pay. And i dont buy the crying game of how poor they all are and only live on tips. i did some investigation and its not nearly as bad as some claimed. you can't be completely naive. i mean, you dont pay a Jamaican $100 for a $15 carving do you? i know someone that does, its called "seeing you coming down 5th avenue". The only time i remember actually stiffing someone was, i was at a Rainforest Cafe for my first and only time, the waitress asked if i wanted to get my kids a larger drink for only another 2 bucks each or something, and it comes in a "collectible glass". but she never said i had to BUY the glass after! So if you figure the extra price for the soda, plus the price of glass times 3 kids...well...i said..." you can keep the glasses, i dont want it. but they insisted i bought it and it was mine to keep. they wouldnt budge. The tip they would have gotten strangely enough, was the same amount as the extra charge for the glasses. i hope my waiter got the glasses, because he didnt get a cent for a tip. When i was young i worked in a restaurant for 10 years, i know how it works, "been there done that". You treat me well, you get tipped well, but i never, ever automatically tip unless im forced to, like at times i get the automatic add on, the way they do it sometimes today with parties of 5 or more. We're adults here, you know what a proper tip is. Use your head, and a little of your heart.

Im surprised that some of you went after this poster right out of the shoot. they didnt accuse everyone who choose not to attend the last nights dinner of stiffing, they merely "wondered how many do". i thought some of you were a bit harsh with your comments. Frankly, i find cruisers to be generally cheap, overly picky people myself...but thats just me, thats been my experience.

But anyway...

i have a tipping rule. before i say it, let me state that i think i am a decent tipper. 10%-30% based on my service at a restaurant. And rarely do i have an issue that would make me drop below 15%, almost never. that being said, i will never...EVER...let someone tell me how much to tip. not even a cruise ship. When i walked in my room last time, I tipped my guy $30 right off the bat and asked him for an extra chair for my deck. all i said was...nicely... "find one for me will ya?", he didn't take more than 1 second to say it couldnt be done. needless to say i wasnt happy. I thought maybe he would make it happen eventually. or maybe do a little something special for us for his $30, but he never did. as a matter of fact, i never heard from him basically until the last night. I figured a basic tip for him and then took off $30 that i opened with. I read so many posts where people on cruises handed a tip up front and were surprised by robes, or something. I wasn't really expecting gifts, but i wasn't expecting to never see the fella. My waiter was awesome! i tipped him very well. My wine steward...well...never used him, never saw him until the last night he came around sniffing for a tip. I just don't part with my money because someone said so. I look at the cruise ship tip suggestions but i wont let them dictate to me what to pay. And i dont buy the crying game of how poor they all are and only live on tips. i did some investigation and its not nearly as bad as some claimed. you can't be completely naive. i mean, you dont pay a Jamaican $100 for a $15 carving do you? i know someone that does, its called "seeing you coming down 5th avenue". The only time i remember actually stiffing someone was, i was at a Rainforest Cafe for my first and only time, the waitress asked if i wanted to get my kids a larger drink for only another 2 bucks each or something, and it comes in a "collectible glass". but she never said i had to BUY the glass after! So if you figure the extra price for the soda, plus the price of glass times 3 kids...well...i said..." you can keep the glasses, i dont want it. but they insisted i bought it and it was mine to keep. they wouldnt budge. The tip they would have gotten strangely enough, was the same amount as the extra charge for the glasses. i hope my waiter got the glasses, because he didnt get a cent for a tip. When i was young i worked in a restaurant for 10 years, i know how it works, "been there done that". You treat me well, you get tipped well, but i never, ever automatically tip unless im forced to, like at times i get the automatic add on, the way they do it sometimes today with parties of 5 or more. We're adults here, you know what a proper tip is. Use your head, and a little of your heart.

what some do not realize about pretipping is this offends most of the crew. In their culture they translate that you believe they will not do their job.

We never pre tip. Our steward got us a third chair. Now it was one of the lido straight backed chairs you dine at that are beside the pool, not a balcony chair, he said there were only those already on balconies, and he could not take one from another passenger's balcony, ofcourse, but he did bring us a third chair.

Now because he treated us well, he did get better then suggested tip at the end of the cruise. He earned it.

what some do not realize about pretipping is this offends most of the crew. In their culture they translate that you believe they will not do their job.

We never pre tip. Our steward got us a third chair. Now it was one of the lido straight backed chairs you dine at that are beside the pool, not a balcony chair, he said there were only those already on balconies, and he could not take one from another passenger's balcony, ofcourse, but he did bring us a third chair.

Now because he treated us well, he did get better then suggested tip at the end of the cruise. He earned it.

WOW!

the first time i ever heard that in my life. and im no spring chicken.

i have pretipped in my life and it never failed to bring a hearty thank you and a huge smile...wow. if these people are as poor as many say, i hardly think many, if any at all, would actually feel offended by pretipping. I respect your opinion, but i would be shocked if you produced even one person to back that up. And youre suggesting "most" would?

WOW!

the first time i ever heard that in my life. and im no spring chicken.

i have pretipped in my life and it never failed to bring a hearty thank you and a huge smile...wow. if these people are as poor as many say, i hardly think many, if any at all, would actually feel offended by pretipping. I respect your opinion, but i would be shocked if you produced even one person to back that up. And youre suggesting "most" would?

It seems other cultures dislike that about americans and find americans who do this arrogant. Do a search here. It has been discussed many times at CC-now the thread was in "Ask a cruise question" about 4 years ago that I remember particularly that said this and from several posts in that thread but the one that interested me most was from that Philip guy who posts here. He is from China and works on HAL ships. I forget his whole handle it is Philip and a number for example philip112.

I believe him. Because in 13 cruises on which we never pretipped we have had excellant stewards except once. That steward did just get the suggested amount and I would have given him less, but my hubby felt embarassed to do that.

It seems other cultures dislike that about americans and find americans who do this arrogant. Do a search here. It has been discussed many times at CC-now the thread was in "Ask a cruise question" about 4 years ago that I remember particularly that said this and from several posts in that thread but the one that interested me most was from that Philip guy who posts here. He is from China and works on HAL ships. I forget his whole handle it is Philip and a number for example philip112.

I believe him. Because in 13 cruises on which we never pretipped we have had excellant stewards except once. That steward did just get the suggested amount and I would have given him less, but my hubby felt embarassed to do that.

well, speaking about cruise ships (not a chinese vessel or other oriental vessel, or Monk row boat or whatever)...i just dont believe it. Of course if i can find a person that thinks Karl Marx's methods are good for us, and humans arent part of the earths ecosystem... i can find anything. but speaking realisticly, i just dont believe it.

Also, the "arrogant American" thing is so incredibly painful for me to see in any sentence. Someone can cut our heads off with steak knifes while they stare into our eyes and gain the respect of most world wide...but if we tip too early! Ooooooh!...out of bounds!

tell you what, im sure you heard this and i respect your belief and opinion, but ill check this out personally on my cruise next month and report back my findings.

You know if I thought cruiselines hired people who would cut my head off with a steak knife I do not think I would cruise.

I know those people exist and that is why I have no desire to visit their part of the world-even though I am sure the majority of the people in those countries are nice decent people.

I hate to say it-but your posts could possibly give the impression that you are one of those arrogant amercians. I am glad I am not.

i knew it!

i knew this was coming. your post put a huge smile on my face because i love being right, it makes my day. i knew when i saw you type the words "arrogant American" what you were all about. I played it, and you made my day. You know...your steak knife comment is immature, as you knew exactly what i meant and it had nothing to do with your retort. Shame on you. And because of what you just did, i feel you deserve what I am abouit to say...

If you are American, you are a self hating one, and I havent the time of day for such waste of human skin, Lets part enemies right here and now and agree to disagree..

Good day.

hey, you know what, if us americans are so bad and arrogant then maybe they shouldn't accept our money at all.. sorry but your post just doesn't jive with me.

i think the automatic tipping is way easier and smarter, not only do the regular waiter and steward get tips, the behind the scenes personel do as well.

as for the OP, i have no doubt that certain folks will steer clear of the dining room in order to stiff the waiters. i'm sure this is common place and the staff is not so surprised when it happens. but just as they don't complain when they get an extra large tip, they just need to deal with the dead beats.

and THIS arrogant american will still slip a $20 or $50 to the steward on the first day, i doubt he or she will be mad at me for it.

hey, you know what, if us americans are so bad and arrogant then maybe they shouldn't accept our money at all.. sorry but your post just doesn't jive with me.

i think the automatic tipping is way easier and smarter, not only do the regular waiter and steward get tips, the behind the scenes personel do as well.

as for the OP, i have no doubt that certain folks will steer clear of the dining room in order to stiff the waiters. i'm sure this is common place and the staff is not so surprised when it happens. but just as they don't complain when they get an extra large tip, they just need to deal with the dead beats.

and THIS arrogant american will still slip a $20 or $50 to the steward on the first day, i doubt he or she will be mad at me for it.

im sorry, but when i hear terms like "arrogant american" which a a variant of "ugly American" i get steamed beyond belief. If my fault is that i tip too much and too quickly...well...excuse ME! the term Arrogant/Ugly American to me, is akin to a black man hearing the word Ni_ger. Because i know exaclty what thy mean when they say it. I dont use it in any way shape or form. Im too proud of my wonderful great country that without us (and our gracious giving), other countries would parish form the earth. God bless America.

Honestly, don't you think that could be construed as "graft", instead of a thank-you for a job well done? Like "Okay, here's a $50 bill, NOW we expect you to look after us, because we're pretty sure you wouldn't look after us if we didn't cross your palm with some $$$$ in advance"??

I can see how it could be interpreted as an insult. And arrogance. Would you tip your server in a land-based restaurant BEFORE your meal? Would you hunt down and tip the cleaning staff in your hotel BEFORE you actually used your hotel room? To me, it just smacks of feeling superior to the person you are handing the money to. Whereas tipping at the end of the cruise to me seems like a "thank you".

I really don't want to get into any flame wars, but am trying to give a different perspective. We're all here to learn, right?

Wow I can't believe how easily insults start flying - :D .

As a Brit tipping is NOT in our nature, probably because we have a minimum wage structure, for all workers whether foreign or not.

I find it embarressing to hand over money as a tip, even in an envelope, so for me auto tipping will work fine, IF I tip the steward or waiter I will leave an envelope with their names on where they can find it.

I personnally think it belittles them to pay them up front, like another poster says its as if you don't think they will do their job without it, do I get paid up front for doing my job, no I get paid at the end of the month, when the work is completed, and does the MOD tip me - like heck do they.

Don't want to upset anyone but don't want anyone to think I am mean by not throwing money around.

And I would probably throw caution to the wind and say that SOME of the wait staff and stewards have alot more money that some of us will ever see.

Honestly, don't you think that could be construed as "graft", instead of a thank-you for a job well done? Like "Okay, here's a $50 bill, NOW we expect you to look after us, because we're pretty sure you wouldn't look after us if we didn't cross your palm with some $$$$ in advance"??

I can see how it could be interpreted as an insult. And arrogance. Would you tip your server in a land-based restaurant BEFORE your meal? Would you hunt down and tip the cleaning staff in your hotel BEFORE you actually used your hotel room? To me, it just smacks of feeling superior to the person you are handing the money to. Whereas tipping at the end of the cruise to me seems like a "thank you".

I really don't want to get into any flame wars, but am trying to give a different perspective. We're all here to learn, right?

i personally never saw it that way. you never tipped a head waiter before going to your table?. here is why you may chose to do it. when you go out to dinner back home at a regular place, you dont do that. but when you go somewhere special, a rare event, and you want to try and make it go very well as it could be a one time thing, you may opt to do that. its very common and no one i know would ever find that insulting. it doesnt say you demand special attention, or you request illegal activities to be performed on your behalf, its not an illegal bribe, youre making a statement and taking a shot. it doesnt always work, as it didnt in my case last time with my desire for a chair. i wasnt upset that he didnt get me the chair i asked for, that was a crap shoot i took it. what i was upset at was, he basically disappeared all week! what it tells the person is, hey, i tip nicely, you MAY want to know that ;o). its a little...heads up! if you will. but if youre a "glass is half empty" sort of person, you may find me..."arrogant".

As a Brit tipping is NOT in our nature, probably because we have a minimum wage structure, for all workers whether foreign or not.

I find it embarressing to hand over money as a tip, even in an envelope, so for me auto tipping will work fine, IF I tip the steward or waiter I will leave an envelope with their names on where they can find it.

I personnally think it belittles them to pay them up front, like another poster says its as if you don't think they will do their job without it, do I get paid up front for doing my job, no I get paid at the end of the month, when the work is completed, and does the MOD tip me - like heck do they.

Don't want to upset anyone but don't want anyone to think I am mean by not throwing money around.

And I would probably throw caution to the wind and say that SOME of the wait staff and stewards have alot more money that some of us will ever see.

hey, when we cruise, we are together with all kinds. we "arrogant Americans" seem to always have to respect other cultures. We Americans are big tippers, its a big part of our lifestyle, we are giving caring people. But, it seems that some folks think we are the only ones in the world who arent deserving of cultural respect. hey! im giving my money away here! if you call me "arrogant" while im giving you my money...well...i'd think twice about disrespecting MY cultural differences.

Huskypup, you said:

One of the really nice features of autotipping is that there's no longer any obligation or pressure to tip additionally unless you feel the service was truly worth it. I know that on the first cruise I went on, it was dinnertime discussion for the entire table -- how much should we tip, how should we do it, etc. There was no autotipping at that time, and Holland America didn't publish any guidelines. So at least 8 people (my dinner table companions and I) had a LOT of angst about tipping. Autotipping removes the angst, and in my case, is actually MUCH cheaper than what we sorted out as "appropriate" tips on that first cruise.

Let me start by saying that I normally tip 15 – 20% on average for good service. I do have a history of not tipping at all for poor service; even going so far as to write an explanation on the tip line of the receipt.

Tips should never be expected or forced upon the patron of any business. I absolutely hate being forced to tip (ie, tip automatically added for parties of 8 or more type stuff)

In fact, I generally never tip more than the “required minimum” at places like that. Tipping is a bonus for a job well done. Not a bill for service that should be forcibly added to the check. I find that when a tip is automatically included as a service charge, the staff generally has no incentive to go above and beyond the norm to make my visit memorable.

I find it rather insulting to order a drink with a required 15% gratuity added in and then to see another line for “additional tips” on the receipt. What? The 15% on the already overpriced drink wasn’t enough? Here, take my first born!

That being said, I do tip well for good service, and more for excellent service. The caveat to that is, I want the amount to be my choice, not yours.

Some people may not agree with me, frankly I don’t care. I don’t tip for poor service. Ever. Tipping for poor service only leads to even worse service. Hit em where it hurts. In the wallet.

Don’t even get me started on places like star bucks, or mcdonalds, or even gas stations putting out tip jars.

i think here, we need to understand the difference between buying a product and hiring someone for a service.

A service can come with talent (rather than simply buying a car, or a bottle of wine), and in some cases, a person will have more talent than another.

YOU may be the recipient of such talents and extra effort, and here in the United States (where we are still a country that believes in capitalism thank God, but i fear that it is ending soon sadly) and this belief allows us to show our talents and receive the benefits of our efforts. Not only do WE receive benefits, but the recipient of our effort, also does. And to show our apprecaition, we usually tip someone.

You should never feel ashamed to thank someone for their effort...never. Its sad to hear people feel this way. Maybe this is a result of socialism, where you all make the same minimum wage pay and no one shows any extra effort since it isnt worth doing...sad...very sad.

It makes me feel good to hand over a tip to someone to show my thanks. and i also enjoy the freedom to be able to show someone my displeasure by not doing it. when a person doesnt get as many tips as another, it makes them work harder, better, and in return, they get compensated for it. this is a good thing, and when it dies, i will as well. I would rather die among men, than live in socialistic society.

Archived