Hurricane Ivan

jayevee44

Last night, I finalized our tour in Ocho Rios and sent the necessary booking confirmation e-mail to our operator, Ionie McBeam. I also told her that she and her fellow island residents are in our prayers regarding Hurricane Ivan, which will hit Jamaica full force on Friday.

I just received a message from her. The residents there are really worried. This Category V storm is expected to do tremendous damage, so there might not be much left to see in October. All of her ships cancelled this week and next, so they are already experiencing negative financial impacts and the storm hasn’t even hit yet. The Cayman Islands appear to be next. Perhaps you can say a prayer for the residents of all the slands and possible US mainland areas in the path of this monster storm.

Jim

My prayers go out to all of those in Jamaica, as Ivan is such a strong storm it will be devasting to that wonderful Island. We were in Jamaica in 89 a year after it was wiped out from Hurricane Gilbert and they were still rebuilding.

As a Floridian I know how it is to be preparing for a hurricane, as we are looking at our third in a months time. I only hope that it spares Jamaica and Grand Cayman..... but sadly I dont think that will happen.

I got this e-mail from Carolyn Barrett last night.

Dear Joe and Lynda,

Praise the Lord! We are in one piece down here. It is still raining hard but the wind has died. Our dogs and we are soggy, but in one piece.

The wooden half of our house flooded, but we had taken everything into the cinder block half before Ivan came along. The best part was that Ivan even left our zinc roof intact. Will wonders never cease......

I have no cell phone coverage. that went down last night, so I can't find out how friends on the south coast are. I believe they got hit harder than we did. From what I can see from the weather map, the eye stayed off the south coast, but how for off, I don't know.

Thanks for all your prayers. They did a lot of good. God heard you big time!!!

Regards,

Carolyn

It looks like they may be some of the lucky ones. One thing is certain, things won't be back to normal for awhile, and it was tough enough earning a living in Jamaica before the storm.

Archived