Scuba St Lucia, St Bart and Tobago

islandwoman

My husband and I will be on the April 14 sailing of the Royal Princess. We'd like to Scuba dive when the cruise stops in St. Lucia, St. Bart and Tobago. We've signed up for the cruise certified scuba excursion in St. Lucia, and from what I've found here, it seems to be the easiest and (surprise!) most cost-effective way to go. Does anyone have a better idea for St. Lucia?

There are no ship's dive excursions for St. Bart or Tobago. I've emailed two ops in Tobago - World of Watersports and Tobago Dive Experience and received negative responses from both of them. Does anyone know of a dive op in Tobago that will take cruise ship passengers? Our ship will only be in port (Scarborough) from 9AM to 5 PM.

I haven't been able to make arrangements with a dive op in St. Bart's either. The ship is also there only from 9 AM to 5 PM. Does anyone know of a dive op in St. Bart's that might accommodate us?

I dove with both World of Watersports on Tobago and Plongee-Caraibes on St Barts on our last cruise. Both did their best to accommodate cruisers - however we did put together parties of four on each island.

World of Watersports is located at the Hilton, a $5 each cab ride from the pier. These two dives were noteworthy because the divemaster took us to a spot where Hawksbills turtles lay on the bottom. He told us to stay well above them to not scare them off - we encountered four in a small area and none moved away.

Plongee-Caraibes originally offered us their scheduled one tank PM dive (I won't haul my stuff anywhere to get wet for a one tank dive). After several emails we were able to get Marion to add a second tank to the PM schedule. I think she contacted two 'locals' who did not object to adding another tank. Marion was aware of the ships sailing time and we made it back well before last tender.

See if you can find some other divers once you reach the ship. We left messages at the shore excursion desk looking for other divers. That helped.

I would check out Dive Fair Helen in St. Lucia. They meet you at the dock, take you to the shop, do the dive and then bring you back. Much more reasonable than Princess dive there. I believe we were in port from 8 or 9 am to 4 pm. We had plenty of time.....We were on Carnival but no diff.

Does anyone have a better idea for St. Lucia?

We just got back this week from our annual Caribbean cruise. We went diving while visiting St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Lucia.

In St. Lucia we went diving with Dive Fair Helen and had two of our best dives ever. We rarely make arrangements for our dive excursions through the ship. Most of the time excursions through the ship turn out OK but often there are better dive sites and frequently there are better dive operators available.

Dive Fair Helen did a great job and at a reasonable price. If you book on-line via their website the price for a two tank dive including lunch is $88 per person with your own equipment. They were very safety conscious throughout our two dives.

The dive boat was not overly crowded. We had between fifteen and twenty divers on a boat that would acommodate thirty or so. They split us into two separate dives, each with its own dive leader. There were two divers undergoing their OW certification dives. These two were also formed into a separate dive with their instructor.

The way they worked it no dive site was over populated. They put the student divers in the water first. Then the first group hit the water next but at a different site. We went in the water next and at yet a third site. The same procedure was followed for our second dive. We had lunch after our second dive and it was a very good lunch.

After lunch they took us back to to where they picked us up initially which was right by the stern of our cruise ship. In short it was a terrific day of diving. Eventually I will post pictures from our two dives.

The only SCUBA operator in the Caribbean that is better in our opinion is The Dive Bus on Curacau. They are a fun group and I would never pass up a chance to go diving with them.

Hope this info proves helpful. everyone have a safe and a happy holiday season.

I am going to email Dive Fair Helen in St. Lucia for more information. Thank you all for the recommendation.

Did you use their "cruise ship special" or their regular rate package? The "cruise ship special" is more expensive, but I don't see any difference other than it includes equipment. We'll be taking our own.

Their website also says that pickup is between 8:30 and 8:45 AM. Since our ship isn't scheduled to dock until 9:00, that might be a problem.

event.png

reds607, Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try contacting Plongee-Caraibes on St Barts again.

Unfortunately World of Watersports in Tobago already responded that they didn't want to take us because their dive is scheduled to go out at 9 AM and our ship doesn't arrive until then. :(

Any other suggestions for Tobago or St. Bart's anyone?

I.W.

Here is the link to the website for Dive Fair Helen. They were wonderful. Very safety conscious. And they fed us which the dive shop in St. Kitts did not. Just let them know when you arrive, that it's ship's time and such. Our price was the $88 also. They did a reef dive and then a wreck dive. You'll love it.

www.divefairhelen.com

Did you use their "cruise ship special" or their regular rate package? The "cruise ship special" is more expensive, but I don't see any difference other than it includes equipment. We'll be taking our own.

Their website also says that pickup is between 8:30 and 8:45 AM. Since our ship isn't scheduled to dock until 9:00, that might be a problem.

event.png

Like the previous poster we had the "Cruise Ship Special". Our pick up time too was stated as being 8:30-9:00. It was also listed on their website as being by the ferry dock. They however picked us up in one of their boats right by the stern of our ship. It was probably closer to if not a little after 9:00 that they picked us up.

After the pick up they ferried us to their dive shop in order to fill out the paperwork and to pick up rental dive gear for those renting gear. On the way to the dive shop we had a mixed group of divers and snorkelers. At the dive shop they separated the two groups and the snorkelers were sent out on a separate boat. After that we headed for the dive sites. Our dive group also did the reef dive followed by the wreck dive.

Dive Fair Helen does have a toll-free number. You may want to call them and see if the 9:00 A.M. arrival is a problem or not. Enjoy that next dive no matter which operator you go with.

Everyone have a very merry Christmas.

Archived