DW, myself and 8 and 4 yr old boys - Belize recommendations?

jaysue

Hi all, it will be myself, DW and the two boys - 8 and 4 - we are looking for an excursion for all 4 of us in Belize - our kids are active and in good shape - my wife and I are in decent shape.

Thanks in advance

jaysue

Several families went cave tubing with us last February. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The company we used also offers a combo package that adds ATV riding. Check these boards for "cave tubing" and you'll find lots of people recommending them, including me.

As you are all in good shape and enjoy climbing up and down, and all are undoubtedly still filled with the wonder of things, you really should consider trips to Altun Ha or Xunantunich or Lamanai (Lamanai might be the best for all of you if there is enough time, as it includes a boat trip down the New River, and often you will see howler monkeys and crocodiles and a couple of birds and trees in addition to the wondrous ruins). With a little luck your children should be able to write essays on their adventures in Belize sufficient to carry them through high school (collegiate institute?), even if they don't immediately resolve to become archaeologists. Or writers of Indiana Jones episodes . . . . :eek::rolleyes: Never underestimate the impressions they will come away with in a single day! Much different from the United States' policy of "No Child Left Alive!" . . . or was that "Behind"?

Occasionally these tours are also offered in combination with the Belize Zoo or the gardens, but it will make for a long day, so those combo tours should only be done on a ship's sponsored shore excursion. Altun Ha is the nearest to the port if you are cursed with a short period ashore and need a quick trip. Best wishes to all of you!

[This recommendation is made by a Connecticut Yankee (now stuck in Swampland, VA) who has had the honor and pleasure--and challenge--of earning a master of arts degree in literature from the University of Toronto (1973), so you may trust I would not steer you wrong.]

As you are all in good shape and enjoy climbing up and down, and all are undoubtedly still filled with the wonder of things, you really should consider trips to Altun Ha or Xunantunich or Lamanai (Lamanai might be the best for all of you if there is enough time, as it includes a boat trip down the New River, and often you will see howler monkeys and crocodiles and a couple of birds and trees in addition to the wondrous ruins). With a little luck your children should be able to write essays on their adventures in Belize sufficient to carry them through high school (collegiate institute?), even if they don't immediately resolve to become archaeologists. Or writers of Indiana Jones episodes . . . . :eek::rolleyes: Never underestimate the impressions they will come away with in a single day! Much different from the United States' policy of "No Child Left Alive!" . . . or was that "Behind"?

Occasionally these tours are also offered in combination with the Belize Zoo or the gardens, but it will make for a long day, so those combo tours should only be done on a ship's sponsored shore excursion. Altun Ha is the nearest to the port if you are cursed with a short period ashore and need a quick trip. Best wishes to all of you!

[This recommendation is made by a Connecticut Yankee (now stuck in Swampland, VA) who has had the honor and pleasure--and challenge--of earning a master of arts degree in literature from the University of Toronto (1973), so you may trust I would not steer you wrong.]

Ah, good ole U of T - I graduated from Victoria College - strange - I only had 2 or 3 of 20 credits there but that's the college system for you :D

Thanks for the advice, we decided on the Lamanai excursion and crossed fingers that our four year old will last the trip - if not he can always catch 40 winks

Cheers

Jason

. . . for each class in the School of Graduate Studies will put you in shape for an exploration of Belize thirty-five years from now."--How could they have neglected to make this simple observation back then? But how much has changed!

I think if I were young enough to be in your position, I would elect to do exactly as you have. My understanding of the trip is that there is PLENTY of opportunity for napping, if one is of an age to be inclined to do so. Another reason I prefer NOT to do the driving myself! My age is now the cube of your younger son's!

Lamanai/New River is also alleged to be the most romantic of the tours. So of course we will be doing it ourselves in a couple of weeks. WITH a tripod for my camera. Best wishes for a wonderful experience! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great time and excursion in Belize! We went on the combination boat ride up the river, lunch stop and then bus ride to the Belize Zoo and then back to port. Our guide, Sam, was very professional, eloquent, and a great spokesperson for the country and an effective narrator. The boat ride was a lot of fun with serious speed across the 'bay' area in front of Belize City over to the mouth of the river and then a leisurely paced trip up the river to lunch (chicken, rice/beans and a fountain soda - fanta/sprite/coke - all in bottles). Followed by a bus trip to the zoo which was well worth the visit. We would not hesitate to visit Belize again either as an excursion or for a longer visit.

Cheers

jaysue

Archived