Had to cancel, very disappointed...

bahouse3

My girlfriend and I had to cancel our cruise on the Fascination becuase we found out her 2-year old niece is going to have open heart surgery the day we were supposed to leave. I lost 50% of our fare. I did not buy the insurance but I wrote Carnival a letter stating our situation and asked for a refund or on board credit for our next cruise. I rescehduled for Oct 22. Do you think we will get anything????

I wouldn't expect anything, but always hope for the best. Travel insurance would not have covered you since you are not related to the child. I wish for the best for you.

Momhavemommy. I believe insurance DOES cover her because it effected her traveling companion. Further it does sound as though the insurance would pay for the sgl supplement if the traveling companion had to cancel but she still went as long as the cancellation was for a covered risk. For a definitive answer it would take a call to the insurance company. I also think that both would have to have purchased the insurance.

I would have thought Carnival would have given him a full refund toward his rebooked cruise. If he didn't rebook I could understand the loss of 50%, but he did rebook. He didn't cancel he just changed the date, so why not just charge for the date change the same as airlines do.

I guess there are rules and than there are more rules.

If he didn't rebook I could understand the loss of 50%, but he did rebook. He didn't cancel he just changed the date...QUOTE]

No. He DID cancel. Then he booked another cruise. One has nothing to do with the other.

Had this occurred prior to final payment, he could simply have changed the date of the cruise with no penalty whatsoever. But his cruise was already paid in full, and the policy is plainly spelled out. I'm sorry he lost the money, too, but these things happen.

Archived