Suite decisions on the Jewel 5 day Caribbean

maidaweb

Have a few questions about the suite categories on the Jewel. I tend to easily get seasick, and have therefore always picked mid-ship suites on our prior cruises. Have never been on NCL. From what I can tell, if we pick category AD (romance suite), it's on the back of the boat and I am wondering about fumes, etc when you're on the balcony? Not sure I'd like just seeing the wake...

If we pick Penhouse suite, it looks like they're just available now on the very front of the ship. We're boaters ourselves, and my husband thinks that being in the very front (deck 10) going into the waves would have the MOST motion of all choices.

The courtyard options look amazing, but a bit too pricey (although I've been reading that sometimes upgrades happen, which would be most lovely!)

Wondering if anybody has experienced either? Thanks. Looking for a 5 day quick getaway in February, and the Feb 24th saiing looked intriguing if I can figure this out.

THANKS so much!

Yes, most motion at the front, least midships. We love the aft facing cabins and haven't encountered any negatives about them. You might want to consider the AB cabins which are the closest suites to midships.

Sounds like silly question I'm sure, but do the aft facing cabins end up with smoke/fumes? Thanks!

We've not encountered smoke or fumes in aft facing cabins and I haven't heard them reported here either. The aft facing cabins are some of the most sought after on the ships.

Have a few questions about the suite categories on the Jewel. I tend to easily get seasick, and have therefore always picked mid-ship suites on our prior cruises. Have never been on NCL. From what I can tell, if we pick category AD (romance suite), it's on the back of the boat and I am wondering about fumes, etc when you're on the balcony? Not sure I'd like just seeing the wake...

If we pick Penhouse suite, it looks like they're just available now on the very front of the ship. We're boaters ourselves, and my husband thinks that being in the very front (deck 10) going into the waves would have the MOST motion of all choices.

The courtyard options look amazing, but a bit too pricey (although I've been reading that sometimes upgrades happen, which would be most lovely!)

Wondering if anybody has experienced either? Thanks. Looking for a 5 day quick getaway in February, and the Feb 24th saiing looked intriguing if I can figure this out.

THANKS so much!

I am facing the exact same choices you are at the moment on the Jewel. I am also afraid of being queasy so I booked mid-ship. We were just offered the AC upsell offer, and turned it down because I don't want to pay extra and risk being sick.

However, I am very seriously considering the aft AD, if the upsell is available and if the price is right. My sister sailed on the Pearl in the romance suite (same layout as the Jewel), and she said she didn't feel any motion. Also, I'm sure there were not any fumes or anything like that because that would have bothered her tremendously. She absolutely loved it and is encouraging me to go for it.

I am new to the NCL board, but, wanted to add my $.03 worth. We have stayed in three different aft cabins and never once had problems with fumes. We absolutely love the aft cabins as the balconies tend to be larger, it is MUCH quieter and you really feel at times as if you had the entire ship to yourself. There is nothing better to me than crawling into to bed after a full day and listening to that wake put me to sleep. Another plus, there is very little wind so you can enjoy the balcony so much more.

I will add, at times, we have felt a bit more movement in heavier seas. On a Mexican riviera cruise out of LA, on our last day at sea, we hit 12-15 foot swells. I was trying to pack and several times had to leave the cabin and go mid-ship to let the stomach settle. It was truly a small price to pay for the other six days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived