Italy Rail Charges

We will be on a Princess Cruise in May 2008. We dock in Livorno and plan to go to Florence. We would like to use the train system. We went to their site, but cannot find out the price of the trip. Can anybody give us an idea of the cost? How would we get from the ship to the train station?

To get from the port to the Livorno train station, we took a taxi. It's about a 10-15 minute drive. Don't recall what it cost but it wasn't very much. There is probably a city bus but you'd have to get to the city first. We took a train to Pisa rather than Florence but I believe the Pisa trains continue to Florence.

On the Trenitalia website be sure to call the stations by their correct full names: Livorno Centrale and Firenze SMN.

BobK/Orlando

This is exactly what we done so I can tell you that our cruise ship provided a bus with a $1.00 fee over to the bus station. You will need to buy your bus & train tickets while here, as well as your return tickets!! Don't forget that part. The tabacco shop directly across from the bus station is where you will get your tickets. Sounds strange but it's true. It's a small shop that sells some souviners, tabacco/cigarettes and snacks. The best I can remember my total for the bus & train was between 8-10 euros. Can't remember for sure and it may have even been a few euros less but no more. The bus tickets themselves were only 1 euro. The bus will take you directly to the train station, about a 7-10 minute ride and since you will already have your train ticket, you can go directly to your train. It's a great ride over and you'll have tons of fun in Florence!

Archived