Just back 12/15 Liberty review

snl

Just back from a wonderful cruise on the Liberty. What can I say, this boat was beautiful. This was our 6th cruise, but our first owners suite.

The room was extremely large. In our opinion there should have been 2 tv's. But quite comfortable. The bedding was fantastic. Our room attendant was excellent.

Food: We ate in both Chops and Portofino's and as usual both were very good. The service in Chops on our evening was a little slower than we would have liked, as we have eaten in the past we know that it is a long meal but this time was even longer. The filet in Portofino's was actually better than in Chops. Jonny Rockets was a nice choice for a nice greasy hamburger. Yum!! The dining room was very nice, but we only ate there 2 nights. The presentation was outstanding. The Windjammer had a nice variety at all meals. It was good food. Was it 5 star, No, but how can it be if you are constantly feeding thousands of people.

Ports: First stop was Labadee, the weather was beautiful. It is a nice beach and my son had a wonderful time in the Artic Zone. Next time we would like to try the zip line. It looked really fun. Second stop was Montego Bay. We have been there many times in the past and decided that we would not get off the boat this time. It was a great decision, we basically had the ship to ourselves. It was a nice day at the pool. Our third stop was Grand Cayman, this had to be one of the highlights of our cruise. We booked a tour through Captain Marvin's. It was Stingray City and snorkling. It was fantastic. Swimming with the rays was such an experience. Everyone should try it at least once. Our final stop was Cozumel. Spent the entire day at the beach. The weather there was also amazing.

In the past we have seen threads where people ask about bringing alcohol on board the ship. It is not allowed. But it is always done. This was our 6th cruise and my husband always brings a bottle on board with him. This time there was a spot check on our floor when our stateroom attendant was turning down the beds for the evening. Security saw the bottle on the bar and it was confiscated. Just so everyone knows. If they see it out in the open it will be taken. It didnt hamper our cruise though.

We had a wonderful time. And now its time to start planning for next year. :D

Liberty OS 12/07

Crown Princess 12/06

Carnival Liberty 12/05

Mariner OS 12/04

Radiance OS 12/03

Carnival Imagination 12/02

We were on the same cruise, and agree that the weather couldn't have been better.

The Captain's announcements were always infused with a bit of dry humor. At "Lab-daba-dee" (his word) he casually mentioned at the end of the usual ho-hum that (insert polite Norwegian accent here)..."There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there's only one way to leave Labadee and that's on our private tenders. So if you miss the last tender I have good news and bad news; the bad news is that you're stuck on the island with no way to reach the ship. The good news is that you'll have some great photographs of Liberty as she sails away".

I suppose it was his way of making sure we paid attention...

Service in the main dining room was exceptional and very personal. Our little table of 4 was made to feel very special, a fact that particularly tickled DD on her first big trip.

Wendy our stateroom attendant was wonderful, too. Gosh, if immigration wasn't such a hassle I figure there could be major business hiring folks away from the cruise lines and placing them into major chains up here (ie Starbucks etc). Heck, hire the vendors from Labadee and Jamaica, train them on door-to-door sales (vacuums, security, SUV's) and I'm sure the closing ratio would approach 90 percent (!!!). Okay, I'm only kidding about the vendor idea...

All in all, this was another poetic justification of a year's worth of scrimping and saving.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Glad to read your review. We also have an Owner's Suite booked this Sept. When I previewed our Suite, I wondered if there was another tv, so you answered that question. Does the giant tv "swivel"?

Also, did you get all your Suite perks? We're really looking forward to our up-coming cruise on her.

Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard about a spot check by security and the confiscation of a bottle of liquor from a room.

I suspect that it is more likely that you were turned in by your room steward.

In fact, I am betting that the cruise line may have posted a bounty so that the room stewards are properly rewarded for turning someone in.

Sounds like a great way for the cruiseline to round up the scourge of the earth. (ie them booze smugglers)

Cruz Kitty.. yes the tv does swivel. It is a beautiful room. It has sooo much space. We have had junior suites in the past and it doesnt compare. You will love it. There was 3 of us in the room. You do get the suite perks. When we arrived there was a fruit platter and every afternoon they brought a small platter of either cheese or petit fours. You also had the concierge club and tickets for the ice show.

About the liquor...we also thought that the room attendant had said something. We did confront him and he obviously said no. He really did seem sincere. We just didnt agree with the way it was handled. When we got back to the room we had noticed a message on the phone and thats when we found out that they had taken the liquor. We didnt even realize that it was missing. Then the next day there was a second message on the phone and it was our attendants boss. I forgot his title, but he wanted to speak with us regarding the liquor. What we expressed to Darren was that they should have told us that they needed to take the liquor instead of coming in our room and just taking it. I felt little like it was an invasion. He did say that they do not look in any drawers or anything...but....how do you really know...you are not there.

Oh well...next time we will just make sure it is not out in the open. We just made sure that we took advantage of the free drinks in the concierge lounge nightly.:D

Just so everyone knows..even though we do bring our own bottle of liquor...we still had a bar bill. It wasnt like we were trying to avoid paying for drinks totally.

Either way had a great cruise and I cant wait for our next one.

Liberty OS 12/07

Crown Princess 12/06

Carnival Libery 12/05

Mariner OS 12/04

Radiance OS 12/03

Carnival Imagingation 12/02

I agree the fact that they came in your cabin and confiscated the liquor is kind of invasive to me. IMO the thing to do would have been for them to either call you over the phone or even come to your cabin and do it face to face.

I've often stated to DH that how do we know that the staff doesn't go through our things when we're not in the cabin. Your experience tells me that my suspicions are probably correct.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to post to this thread as we were on the same sailing. All positive. First time ice-skating for me and it was on the ocean, though I have been an avid figure skating fan. Given this week is the national championship, just keep thinking about one of the singles male skaters looking so much like Brian Boitano. I was too sheepish to comment it when I walked pass him, not knowing if he would take it good or bad. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Archived