Help with Horseback Riding Excusions

Newlyweds04

My wife and I are going to Cozumel as a part of our honeymoon, the 10/25 Celebrity Summit Cruise and were interested in booking a horseback riding excursion. We've seen a couple of websites that advertise horseback riding:

www.aventurasnaturalascozumel.com

www.cozumelinsider.com

just to name two. If anyone has any information about these places, different companies or whether or not we should just pay the extra and go with Celebrity's excursion, that would be great. As I am a first time cruiser, I would love any help we can get making this trip as awesome as possible.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the horse back riding trip in Cozumel in August off the Conquest .. horses were very old and lame, the ruins for the most part were just replicas .. worst horseback riding trip I've ever taken. Constant begging for tips by the hosts. If you like horses you might not like them after this. Do something else. Everyone just wanted to get back to town.

Sounds like I went to the same place! I felt like taking all the poor horses home with me on the excursion my husband and I took. The ruins were basically a pile of undistiguishable rocks.

We are (hopefully) trying another horseback riding excursion in Ocho Rios this year. I am hoping that this one will be alot better!

Chrissie

We did horseback ridding in Playa Del Carmen. If you are a beginer I would not suggest horseback ridding at all, anywhere in Mexico. Our horses too did not look that healthy. Some were not nice, biting and kicking other horses or people. Also, the horses we were on liked to practice for a fire drill. They would stop, drop and roll. So you would have to be prepared to jump quickly off your horse to prevent getting squished!!!

Unfortunately, most "trail" or rental horses do pick up nice vices like the dropping and rolling. I saw horses when we went to Belize and to Cozumel and I was really glad we chose not to do those excursions. The horses looked in pretty bad shape. I am hoping that the horses in Costa Maya look a little better, the pictures I have seen look like they might be a little better kept.

Keep in mind that "renting" a horse is VERY hard on the horse. Even here in the states, most rental barns have pretty run down animals. You just can't keep a horse in good shape and looking really shiny (like a privately owned horse) if he is being rented out by the hour to a whole bunch of different people.

Archived