Carnival Excusrion/Dining Questions in San Juan

tigervixxxen

I have cruised several times before but this port of call has me stumped. I'm coming in April on the Carnival Freedom and the ship is supposed to get in at 5pm. Anyone who had done this I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me.

I am interested in the Bacardi tour so any details about price/timing would be a great help. Also, did you enjoy this excursion? Was it worth the money?

How is dinner handled on the ship due to the evening port of call time? Do they delay or reschedule dinner in the dining room? Or do most people hit the buffet that go off the ship? What if you have the early dining time and happen to miss your scheduled seating but are back on the ship for the late seating? Will they accommodate you then?

Also, my mom is interested in the City Tour. Can anyone tell if they enjoyed this excursion and if it was worth the money. My mom will likely be going on this excursion by herself but heard that the old part of the city was within walking distance of where the ship is docked and she is worried the excursion would not be worth the money. Keep in mind my mom will be alone, this is at night and while she is fit and active she is not what one would call a "hiker". Any advice I can pass along to her would be greatly appreciated.

We also arrived in port at 5:00 on the Liberty, we still had assigned dining times in 2006, but I was told they will be offering open seating in the dining room this year (had such a great time be are booked again 2/2008.

We had late dining before and spent a couple hours in San Juan and went back to the ship for dinner. We have early dining this time and plan to have a late lunch and probably just go to the buffet of pizzeria when we re-board, as we plan to spend more time in San Juan and probably won't be back on in time for dining room even if it is open seating.:o

San Juan is built on a rather hilly terrain and there is alot of cobblestone so it is rather "rough" walking, but I believe the walking tour is a leisurely paced excursion.

We are planning to rent Segways to do a very similar tour without all the walking.

Thanks for the reply. Open seating would work great if we could leave the ship and have dinner around 8 or 9. That would probably work out well so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So the city tour is a walking tour? My mom thought the city tour was on one of those little buses they use. She was thinking of forgoing paying for it and walking alone. I didn't like the idea because she's be alone at night and I'd prefer her with a group.

This evening Bacardi tour is special for the cruise ship, but I would assume it is the same tour they give during the day. You don't actually go into the rum factory- it is more of a modern tour. See my review: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/14/bacardi-rum-factory-a-tour-free-drinks/

For your Mom,there are a few things she can do. She can walk it herself- Carnival docks right at Pier 4 in the Old City. It is a safe place, but since she doesn't know where she is going, I probably wouldn't send her walking alone. But if she can find another person to walk around with, she will be fine. Have her download info on what she will see. Museums will be closed, the Forts close at 6pm. If it is a Tuesday, the Le-lo-lei dance will start at 6m at Fort San Cristobal.

Right at Pier 4 there is a free trolley that will take you around. It is not a "tour" as there is no one explaining what you see. But she can see the sites.

Or she can get a tour with "Legends" that will be a group tour.

Check my travel blog for info:

http://www.Puertoricodaytrips.com

We also did San Juan when we were on the Liberty and got into port by 5PM. We did our own walking tour of the city - you will be right in the heart of Old San Juan at the cruise pier.

We were back on the ship for our 8:30 dinner time and the dining room crowd was light. It is interesting to see that they will change this to open seating but I suppose that makes sense.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all your help and info. One more question, I just looked up the schore excursions on Carnival.com and its only offering me 4 shore excursions for San Juan. Is this a mistake or are they getting rid of a lot of them? The Bacardi tour was missing.

I don't believe Carnival has all the tours posted yet, I know there were several more when we did this same cruise 2 years ago. Just keep checking back.

Archived