ship excursion or on our own

mom8x

We want to go to Chankanaab Park where I would like to swim with dolphins. DH is not a swimmer, he want to just wander the park. I see I can take a cruise excursion/dolphin swim, but there doesn't seem to be an excursion just to go to the park. We don't want to split up, so can he ride the cruise transportation at some reduced fee if he is not on the dolphin swim? This is our first cruise and don't know how this will work.

Can't really answer your question - but do assume that htye will charge full fare for your DH - just they way they operate. I

would suggest that he could meet you there. People on the boards can tell you where the best place to meet up would be. The park can't be that big and it should be easy to hook back up. There are taxi readily available to take him and it would be much less than anything the cruiseline would sell it to you for.

As a matter of fact - did you think about booking everything on your own? I know others have done it. Cozumel is very easy to get around and you wouldn't have any problems doing it on your own and you could all stay together. Just be sure to book it before you go - don't count on opening by the time you get there. Start checking the threads - I'm sure you can find plenty that cover this.

I booked the dolphin swim on my own for our family at Xcaret (outside Playa Del Carmen) and it was great. We took the ships tour to the park - but I booked the swim before we left and saved A LOT and knew for sure we were going to get to do it.

It was $25 for DW to accompany the kids to Chankanaab to do the dolphin swim thru Princess. The kids wanted to do the swim and she did not. Really, all the cruise line does is give you a voucher for a taxi to take you to the park and the return ride, and a ticket into the park, which would cost $12 if you were to pay it yourself.

My DH and kids did the sealion swim and I just watched. We purchased the excursion through cozumelinsider.com. They have several pkgs. to choose from. They got the one with the sealion swim, sealion show, and it also included the entrance fee into the park. I was able to just pay the $12.00 admission into the park and the fee for the sealion show. (Can't remember - I think it was like $5.00 US) This was our first time also and I was a little nervous about booking on my own and not through the cruise line, but they are very helpful at cozumelinsider and are very good at corresponding with you which will ease your mind. Good Luck and have a great time!

Thanks for the answers. I will consider doing on our own and not through cruise ship. How do I figure the time, is the ship and port time the same? We are supposed to be in Cozumel from 10:00-5:30. So if I schedule a 12:00 swim, is that enough time to get off the boat, and get to the park by cab?

I was just at Chankanaab Park last Wednesday and this is my advice. I would do it on your own because you will save a lot of money. The taxi ride for up to four persons to Chankanaab is $10. We were on the Elation with Carnival and they had us keep our watches on ship time so that we wouldn't miss the ship leaving - makes sense. Anyway, the people there and where every you book the dolphin swim all know about the ship thing and can help you as far as time to book. I know that when we got to the park, we could have booked a swim when we arrived. There is plenty to look at in the park even if you don't want to get in the water for your dh. The entrance to the park was $12 for adults and either $6 or $8 for kids. You will have a blast and much more relaxing time if you do things at your leisure. Once they dock, the process of getting off the ship goes very quickly and the taxis are lined up when you walk out and you can be at the park in about 5 minutes. It's fairly close and definately a beautiful place to be in Cozumel!:)

Thanks for the answers. I will consider doing on our own and not through cruise ship. How do I figure the time, is the ship and port time the same? We are supposed to be in Cozumel from 10:00-5:30. So if I schedule a 12:00 swim, is that enough time to get off the boat, and get to the park by cab?

It all depends which ship and what port you are leaving from. We were on the Explorer of the Seas, in May, which left from Miami (Eastern time zone). The Explorer stayed on "ship time" for the entire trip. Cozumel was one hour behind the ship's time. If you can book a 12:00 swim, it would be great. (In my opinon this would be the best time slot to have.) It will give you plenty enough time to get to the park, and plenty enough time to view your video and photos, and get back to port. As the other poster's said, there are cab's lined up both in port and at Chankanaab waiting. We docked at the International Pier (there are 3 piers) and it was only about a 5 - 10 min. ride. Also, consider booking through cozumelinsider.com. They are very helpful and will do all they can to help you get the time slot you want. Good Luck! You will have a great time!

Archived