Newbie needs some help

sekhmet101

I have been reading the forums and I'm getting a lot of info so I thank all of you who take the time to post reviews and opinions. I am at a loss. I am planning a family vacation in honor of my mother who became very ill last year. We promised her that if she survived, we would take her wherever she wants to go. So here we are. Our group consists of my parents, (in their 60's, my mother wants to sit around, my father wants to sightsee) myself and MH (in our 30's, I want to do everything, MH gets a sunburn if he looks outside too long) and my single 30 yr old brother who can sit around but also wants activities and probably to meet a lady who might spark his interest (is that PG enough?). I am thinking Southern/Eastern Caribbean but I don't know what line. My parents have already been on RCCL (Adventure of the Seas) so I think Carnival will pale in comparison but itinerary wise and budget wise, Carnival seems comparable. But RCCL seems to have much more to do on the ship (movie theater, rock wall, ice skating rink, etc.) Can I have some of your opinions on what lines to look at that might have something for all of us? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think RCI is a great way to go-(Carnival and RCI will be comparable experiences)

That's what's so great about cruising--everyone can do as much or as little as they like! Groups don't have to be "joined at the hip"--everyone can do their own thing!

If I were you, I'd talk to a Travel agent who specializes in cruises--they will be able to give everyone the vacation of a lifetime, with little or no work on your shoulders!!!!!

Why don't you pick 2-3 cruises / ships / itineraries that look interesting to you & fit the budget, then set it up for a family vote -- majority rules? Everybody will be equally un/happy & you can't be blamed.

I think all your choices are fine so you can't really go wrong but save yourself from being a scapegoat.

I think all your choices are fine so you can't really go wrong but save yourself from being a scapegoat.

You know I'll end up being the scapegoat anyway.:)

Normally I do a pretty good job booking everyone's vacations but there are too many variables here for me to feel comfortable doing it on my own. In a minute I think I'm going to tell everyone to go to Vegas and put us in 3 separate hotels!:D

You could always book everybody on seperate ships -- then you'd be really far apart. :D

You may want to check if any organized singles groups on going on your particular ship/ trip. Book your brother through them so he has people to . . . .shall we say persue? Cruises tend to be couple-y events.

I also agree that you should go with RCCL. Princess is also another good choice and Celebrity, but RCCL does have the good prices and a lot more to do inside and out. God bless your Mom to have such a caring family and to be here to enjoy it. May she continue to be well.:)

Archived