Costa Marina Mauritius

Brian Raine

.Right where to start, the ship,the vessel is compact , you are never more than 10 minutes away from your cabin.There is lots of space for getting a sun tan but you have to grab a lounger/chair and hang on to it. The lounges are light and airy with lots of glass, the restaurant is at the rear of the ship and boasts fullwidth windows across the stern.Passengers , we had mostly Italians/French/Germans/Spanish in that order only 16 English speakers(Brits-Ausssies-Americans-Dutch?)

Entertainment as you would expect language is a problem, all announcements made in 5 languages and takes time,so you are offered comedy jugglers-illusionists-singers- dancers- speciality acts- folkloric acts(Mombasa -Mauritius) with [re recoded music.This cruise includes DENON FLASH a very good illusionist, although he only did 1 1/2 shows in 26 days.Lounge entertainment is a 3 piece in the Marina lounge( not that brilliant) Harrys bar a very good pianist and a 2 drum steel/guitar band, with limited repetoire.Food, the restaurant served a variable breakfast with Capaccino if required, Dinner was the best food we have had pon a Costa ship( 4 of them) . The buffet Yacht Club was typical quicky food fish chicken beef with hamburgers and bratwurst sausages and a speciality sector most days Spanish French Italian Fish Creole Pasta but no Pizza's.

Tours, Best start in Mahe, The ship docks about 20 minute walk from the town ( if you use the shortcut 30/40 minutes without. Taxis are available dockside, to town was $10 and takes 10 minutes.We did a 3 hour tour by taxi for $100( for 2). The highlight being the giant tortoises , they are huge and very docile plus lots of lovely beaches.The town Port Victoria was very clean and tidy the people very polite and the shops took euros or dollars.Overall the Seychelles are expensive as they have to import everything.MOMBASA , we had been here before so we did not go into the city or do a tour. Taxis are availabe at the dock side .However those who went into town told us that it was very busy and busseling with lots of shops at reasonable prices.The Safari tours were mixed, because of recent rains abridge was out , so a 1 1/2 hour trip to the Tsavo park took 3 hours before they saw anything, water holes were not a populated by animals as many thought , so they only saw elephants and zebra. The ships camera crew brought back pictures of giraffe/elephants/zebra/baboons/wildebeast.No one wetn to the the Sonnet Lumaire light show at night, so it was cancelled.MAYOTTE we had to tender in and was closed , it was Sunday, but the town was as dirty and scruffy as the last time we saw it.Here they do snorkelling with the pedocraft, you must be able to swim to partake in this activity.NOISY BE again we were tendered in, the arrival was quite hairy as the quayside is not geared to accomodate the tender craft.The town Hell Ville is accessable by shuttle bus in 15 minutes or a stroll of about 1 visiting the embroidery-shirts etc displayed along the roadside into the town. Again it is a typical 3rd world place lots of noise bussle and people offering you what you do not need.The ship was asailed by people in canoes trying to sell you fruit homemade jewellery model ships etc or trying to get passengers to give them clothes shoes or anythig they did not want. TAMATAVE again was a mini bus ride away some 2o minutes over very rough roads, we were left about 5 minutes from the main market place , which was heaving with the locals. Coconuts were a good source of a cool drink if needed.The main street was full of shops again selling a miriad of things.REUNION, it was a 5 minute shuttle bus ride to the dock gates where there is a tourist reception area, the nearest town is 15 miles away and St Dennis abot 25 miles away. As it was a national holiday and raining and no shops were open. We were intending to hire a local taxi and do a short tour but the drivers were trying to exhort money, asking 60 euro each to take us to the nearest town or 100 euros PP for an 8 seater mini bus ride to St Denis .MAURITIUS day 1 Port Louis town centre is 5 minutes water taxi ride from the quayside($2 each way) then 5 10 minutes stroll to the main market and shopping area. Everything is available here and it was very busy and bussling.

I advise you to watch your purse's/handbag at all times , I had my pocket pinched , loosing 180 euros in the process.We advised the police who made a note of it and said they cpould not really do much about it.

Disembarkation day 2 we were told to be out of our cabins by 0500 hours , breakfast was served in the buffet only from 0400 until 0700 hours .Nearly all long distance flights leave the main airport in the morning everyone going home was off the ship by 0700 hours, with a 1 hour ride to the airport to follow.

I have the port info leaflet and a tour order form( in Italian) if you think they would be of use to anyone

Thanks Brian,

Your information is a fantastic help as we are going in February. I´ve also sent you an email.

As you say a highlight were the giant tortoises in Mahe....where exactly did you find them....in the Botanical Gardens or somewhere else?

Seeing as you enjoyed them so much, here is a photo as a souvenir to thank you for your time and tips :D :

stanandadamwk3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We are doing a trip next month covering the following places: Mauritius, Seychelles, Kenia, Mayotte, Madagascar and St. Denis - Reunion. My husband normally does a video of any holidays or trips trying to use typical local music in the background of the video. I have no idea of the typical music in these areas. I have read different things on the internet mentioning styles called "Creole", "Mautia", "Sega" y "Kanmtole"......... At the same time it should be pleasant and jolly / cheerful music that would fit in well as the background of a travel video....without being too "deep" or "heavy" if you understand me. Has anyone any suggestions???.......if so please mention names of the singers or groups or the style of music I should concentrate to look for and in which place should I try to buy it? :)

caramello, So you saved up your pesata's and you are venturing South??. Most of the music we heard could be construed as CREOLE very much like Carribbean Reggae. In Safaga we had an Eygptian belly dancer and Dervish Dancer, he was forminal, how he did not screw himself into the deck was amazing.Hodiadah had a welcoming group playing drums/tambourines. At Mayotte there was a stall selling the local music on CD, besides trying to deafen everyone withn 1/2 a mile radius.They did have an African Folklore show onboard in Mombasa which was MASAI warriors dnacing, very singular type of music , drums/rattles.In Mauritius the folklore troupe were more expansive and did Arabic/African/Creole music and dancing, if you could tape this music it would provide a good back ground.Keep hubby under control the girls are gorgeous.

COmmonsense2 We did not utilise the roomservice , we only had breakfast in the cabin once, no charge,but I believe there is a nominal charge for room service

forgot, Costa now impose a 15% PP ( on the cost of the cruise only)service charge payable on your ship board account,apparently it is NOT removable unless you are a US passenger. It is in addition to the suggested "gratuities" for the staff , which can be modified at your request.The 15% service charge on drinks still applies as well.

commonsense 2 The beloved says there is no charge for room service but thre is a 2/3 euros gratuity , which is added to your on board account

forgot, Costa now impose a 15% PP ( on the cost of the cruise only)service charge payable on your ship board account,apparently it is NOT removable unless you are a US passenger. It is in addition to the suggested "gratuities" for the staff , which can be modified at your request.The 15% service charge on drinks still applies as well.

commonsense 2 The beloved says there is no charge for room service but thre is a 2/3 euros gratuity , which is added to your on board account

you should post that snippet about the extra 15% on a separate thread. it will cause a firestorm.

Archived