Booking question: How far ahead and where?

pluto107

I'm researhing for next vacation and never cruise before. I wonder how far ahead should I book my trip? I guess I want to make sure I’ll get a good deal and selection on stateroom.

And is there any website that will give me an idea of how much the package is? Are they really different than the rates that I see on cruise line web site? How can I find out if they're reputable?

Any advice is much appreciated. It looks like the research I do, the options seems endless... :confused:

I recommend booking early for best selection of cabins. Typically, the lowest price and the highest price cabins go first and those that are more mid ship tend to go early as well.

I think if you are new to cruising your best bet is to get help from a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising.

Keith

I recommend booking early for best selection of cabins. Typically, the lowest price and the highest price cabins go first and those that are more mid ship tend to go early as well.

I think if you are new to cruising your best bet is to get help from a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising.

Keith

Good luck with your research! The boards are full of information and opinions! We have been on 3 cruises so far. The first time we went I booked about 6 weeks out due to the price--cheaper to go on a 5 day cruise than spend a week at the lake! Of course it was August in the Caribbean (and I didn't think about Hurricanes ect....). Prices will sometimes drop at the last minute if you are not particular about your cabin or itenerary. We have also booked about 3 months out for our other cruises. I have never personally booked a year in advance as I am never sure what we will be doing that far in advance! The cabin is not as important to our family; but we tend to not spend a lot of time in the cabin--we enjoy being out and doing activities. Figure out what is important to you and go from there. You can sign up on all of the cruise lines sites and they will send you information on specials ect...this way you will know what prices and room availablity are tending to do. Good luck with your research and don't be afraid to ask questions!

You'll have to do research. We aren't allowed to name any agencies on these boards, so we can't help you with that. I've found that a good local travel agent is imortant. Some agents can not only give a good price but will include paid gratuities and other perks. The main stream cruise lines don't allow agents or online companies to give huge discounts on their cruises. And, sometimes the prices they quote online don't include everything like taxes and port charges. If you want the best selection of cabins and the best prices, book early. Prices have been going up the closer you get to the sailing date.

Book asap, as money for down payment allows.

Work with a Cruise Agent/Agency that does not charge a service fee and that will honor a lower cruise fare as advertised by the cruise line.

The Group Rate is the lowest Fare. Check Out Cruise Critic's Group Space, and receive, complimentary amenities in addition to the opportunity to "Meet & Mingle with your future Cruise Buds.

IMHO, cruise out of the Port nearest you. Book an Outside or higher Guarante if possible within the Group, (save the inside cabin for your second cruise).

As to where, ask yourself if you want to visit a hot or cold destination? Then, remember that the itinerary or ship that you selected may be changed by the cruise line or Captain without a refund to you.

Where? may also depend on how much time you have to cruise and how much money you have for Air, Hotels & transfers.

Have fun planning!

Archived