Grand Cayman-Eden Rock Questions

Treens

I am going on my first cruise in a few weeks! I love to swim in pools (especially swimming underwater). I have stayed away from lakes and muddy oceans (like Galveston) because I cannot see what is going on in the water around me. :eek:

I said I would save ocean swimming for clear blue waters and now I am going. I have never snorkeled, but I always wanted to. Since I am a beginner I think that off-shore snorkeling,would be the best place to start so I have a couple of questions.:

1. Does Eden Rock take Visa?

2. Are the lockers at Eden Rock secure?

3. There are two other snorkel sites (Cheeseburger(?) Reef and a ship wreck) that are near by. Can I use the Eden Rock rentals to go to snorkel those locations also, or do they have their own rentals?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Treens :)

Eden Rock welcomes snorkelers and divers. I dove there last spring when my cruise ship docked in Grand Cayman. I think you will enjoy snorkeling there.

I know they take credit cards, but I don't remember specifically about Visa. I might have used MasterCard or Amex.

Yes, their lockers are secure. We left our towels, shoes and some dive gear locked in our rental locker. No problems. The lockers are outside the shop, so I suppose it's possible that they could be broken into. We always take our credit cards, cash, and keys into the water with us. My husband's suit has a zipper pocket. I've never seen a woman's bathing suit with a secure pocket, so I wear board shorts that have a secure Velcro closure pocket.

Sorry, I don't know about the other snorkel sites.

I too am planning on diving at Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto on my upcoming cruise. I contacted them via email since I don't have a dive buddy and wanted a guided dive (very reasonable 2-tank dive at $95 USD). They had room for me on 01/16/08, but want me to fax my info with front/back of credit card and copy of license. Although I believe they are very legitimate, in today's world I'm not comfortable with that.

BTW...They definitely take Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

My cruise line offers a 2-tank boat dive to an unnamed reef, but I really want to dive Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto.

There are five ships arriving in George Town that day between 0700-1000. My ship comes in at 1000 and leaves at 1800.

What are my chances of just showing up and asking for a guided dive or teaming up with other divers at Eden Rock Dive Center?

Thanks.......Mark :confused: :)

Mark, You don't need a dive guide at Eden Rock. It's a small area right off their dock, between the shore and the ships. The outer limit of the dive site is marked with a buoy. You can buy a water-proof map in the Eden Rock dive shop.

As for a buddy, maybe you could find one on roll-call or on the ship.

I think you can just show up any time to do your dive, that's what we did. But I don't know if you could count on getting a dive guide without pre-arrangement.

Hey guys, the OP is a first time snorkeler asking for advise and y'all turned his thread into a dive chat.:o

Treens from Texas, I've snorkeled at Eden Rock and would not advise it as a first time effort. You enter from a wooden deck. The ladder entry is easy, but the bottom is all hard pan (rock). You do not have a comfortable stance, and without a guide you might have trouble adapting to your snorkel gear.

For a first time, you'll be better served using a beach entry that is gradual and you can easily make mask, snorkel and vest adjustments.

Eden's Rock would be ok if an experienced snorkeler accompanies you to help you adjust to the new environment.

Snorkeling is a great sport. There's a whole nuther world down there. I did my first from a boat, but I was with a snorkel guide. He helped me with both my mask and snorkel adjustments. It didn't take long, but I would have been lost without him.

A suggestion: First of all, you really shouldn't put a snorkel in your mouth when you don't know where it's been. Buy a beginner snorkel set at a discount store. Some cruises, Princess for example, offer snorkel demo/lessons in the ship's pool. If it's offered, do that. Practice wth the mask and snorkel in the ship's pool. Georgetown has a seven mile sand beach alongside the tender docks. When you get ashore, go to the beach and practice snorkeling from the shore. You won't see anything but sand. That's ok. You're learning how to best use the gear. If you feel comfortable, then go to Eden Rock for a great adventure.

The Eden Rock lockers have padlocks which you "rent" from the shop.

Here's their web site:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

This is a good snorkel guide for Grand Cayman:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Sharkmedic, I walked up to Eden Rock and was able to book the guided dive with them. There were only two other divers. I also do not have a buddy. DH snorkels, while I dive. I went last Feb. We dove Eden Rock and the Devils Grotto on one dive. I would think they would not turn down your $'s if you want to dive.:)

Mark, You don't need a dive guide at Eden Rock. It's a small area right off their dock, between the shore and the ships. The outer limit of the dive site is marked with a buoy. You can buy a water-proof map in the Eden Rock dive shop.

As for a buddy, maybe you could find one on roll-call or on the ship.

I think you can just show up any time to do your dive, that's what we did. But I don't know if you could count on getting a dive guide without pre-arrangement.

While you might not need a guide to dive Eden Rock, you will definitely need a buddy, or they won't rent you gear. For some reason, they seem to think that it is there duty to keep people from diving solo there.

We both snorkeled after I dove. We swam back out to the reef for the best snorkeling. The water was deep so I would suggest renting a life vest if your not a strong swimmer. There are fish closer to the shore to see, but the good stuff is out deeper. We really enjoyed our day, and ate and snorkeled next door at Paradise Restaurant. We saw huge tarpon right at the shore line at Paradise. Have fun!

Treens from Texas, I've snorkeled at Eden Rock and would not advise it as a first time effort.

Thanks for the great information, Steve! We were also considering a tour with Captain Marvin's out to two snorkel sites and sting ray city.

What do you think of that as a first time effort?

Thanks for the great information, Steve! We were also considering a tour with Captain Marvin's out to two snorkel sites and sting ray city.

What do you think of that as a first time effort?

That's an excellent choice. Capt Marvin will take good care of you.

The first stop is at Coral Gardens, an easy snorkel and you'll have a guide in the water with you. The second stop is at the barrier reef. More challenging, but you should be ready by then.

Stingray City isn't really a snorkel per se. It's shallow and often crowded. I suggest not wearing fins there.

Just be sure to practicing with your gear in the ship's pool.

Have a great time.

While you might not need a guide to dive Eden Rock, you will definitely need a buddy, or they won't rent you gear. For some reason, they seem to think that it is there duty to keep people from diving solo there.

That's interesting. I last snorkeled Eden Rock in Y2005 and they didn't ask about a buddy. I didn't rent gear, but I did rent a locker and would have been asked if that had been the policy then.

They must have had an injury and are worried about liability.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Hey guys, the OP is a first time snorkeler asking for advise and y'all turned his thread into a dive chat.:o

Treens from Texas, I've snorkeled at Eden Rock and would not advise it as a first time effort. You enter from a wooden deck. The ladder entry is easy, but the bottom is all hard pan (rock). You do not have a comfortable stance, and without a guide you might have trouble adapting to your snorkel gear.

For a first time, you'll be better served using a beach entry that is gradual and you can easily make mask, snorkel and vest adjustments.

Eden's Rock would be ok if an experienced snorkeler accompanies you to help you adjust to the new environment.

Snorkeling is a great sport. There's a whole nuther world down there. I did my first from a boat, but I was with a snorkel guide. He helped me with both my mask and snorkel adjustments. It didn't take long, but I would have been lost without him.

A suggestion: First of all, you really shouldn't put a snorkel in your mouth when you don't know where it's been. Buy a beginner snorkel set at a discount store. Some cruises, Princess for example, offer snorkel demo/lessons in the ship's pool. If it's offered, do that. Practice wth the mask and snorkel in the ship's pool. Georgetown has a seven mile sand beach alongside the tender docks. When you get ashore, go to the beach and practice snorkeling from the shore. You won't see anything but sand. That's ok. You're learning how to best use the gear. If you feel comfortable, then go to Eden Rock for a great adventure.

I'd just like to add a clarification to this advice. I agree that it's a very good idea to practice snorkeling in a pool and then someplace with a sandy bottom (devoid of sealife) before attempting to snorkel anywhere where the water is too deep to touch the bottom or over a reef. Even if the reef is shallow enough to stand on, don't. NEVER TOUCH THE CORAL. Standing on a reef or touching the coral will kill it.

That's interesting. I last snorkeled Eden Rock in Y2005 and they didn't ask about a buddy. I didn't rent gear, but I did rent a locker and would have been asked if that had been the policy then.

They must have had an injury and are worried about liability.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Bruce is refereing to scuba diving there. He is right that they will not rent you tanks to dive there without a buddy. Snorkeling is not an issue with not having a buddy.

Bruce is refereing to scuba diving there. He is right that they will not rent you tanks to dive there without a buddy. Snorkeling is not an issue with not having a buddy.

Interesting how they could take my post about diving and renting dive gear and think that I was talking about snorkeling.

Interesting how they could take my post about diving and renting dive gear and think that I was talking about snorkeling.

I'm just an old dummy. Duh!

Or maybe I'm not as dumb as you seem to think:

This thread's primary subject is snorkeling. Some places, Trunk Bay for example, require snorkeling buddies.

I'm just an old dummy. Duh!

Or maybe I'm not as dumb as you seem to think:

This thread's primary subject is snorkeling. Some places, Trunk Bay for example, require snorkeling buddies.

Just an old dummy?, I think not.

A little too sensitive?, perhaps.

Archived