Freeport land vacations

sportsterjohn

I am debating whether to take the family on the Fantasy for a 4 night cruise or take a ferry over to GBI and stay at the Pelican Bay resort. Has anyone done a land vacation on GBI?

NCL Sea 3/03
RCCL Sovereign 10/03
NCL Dream 3/7/2004

We are flying over there tomorrow night 5/27 and returning 5/31 in the afternoon. Staying at the Sheraton Lucaya which shares facilities with Westin Lucaya. Will let you know when we get back. Feel free to email me so I don't forget.

Royal Clipper 12/01
Golden Princess 3/02
Galaxy 6/02
OceanBreeze 8/02
Legend 12/02
Grandeur 4/03
NCL Dream 12/03
Maasdam 2/21/04
SunPrincess 12/12/04
Zenith 2/05

Too late, they just had a price special for 5 night carnival cruises for Ga / Fla residents. I got a case of itchy fingers and booked. Thanks anyhow.

NCL Sea 3/03
RCCL Sovereign 10/03
NCL Dream 3/7/2004
CCL Jubilee 7/24/2004

Hi jgawne,
I actually JUST booked a short trip at the Sheraton Our Lucaya too (got a GREAT deal, cheaper than any cruise even) for the weekend of June 11th. This board has been so much help to me in the past I figured I'd see if I could find suggestions on what to do there!) I'd LOVE to hear about what you thought and what you did, if you don't mind.

I'm sorry - I don't know how to email you directly.

It was fabulous. We flew on a charter into Freeport and took the transfer by taxi to the Sheraton at Our Lucaya. Great room with a fridge. The Sheraton shares the facilities and beach with the Westin next door, and the beach is rated one of the best on the island. Lots of pools, water slide, beach, chairs, food, water sports. Just beautiful. The Port Lucaya Marketplace is across the street in front of the hotel. Duty free shops, including liquor, lots of restaurants, bars. In the Count Bassie Marketplace every night about 9 they have entertainment and dancing. Ate the most authentic Greek food I've had since living in Greece at Zorba the Greek's there. Also an Irish pub: Shenanigans. We rented a car for three days and drove to Paradise Cove, and snorkled there at Deadman's Reef where I saw a sting ray and barracuda's. Also drove to West End (22 miles) for a beautiful secluded beach with great snorkeling and many fish (Old Bahama Bay Resort). Stop at the office and get a snorkling map. Also found, on the web two places that locals go: Club Caribe and Margaritavilla. Both on the beach with bar and restaurant. 1 free drink at each with internet coupon. You can do a web search for them. Margaritavilla is great. Sand floor in the bar. Sunday buffet breakfast at Willy Broadleaf's in the Westin for $18 was very nice. The brunch is a bit pricey at $35 ea. In general, food is a bit pricey in Freeport. Almost everything has to be shipped in. They charge surcharges to use credit cards. There are ATM's which can provide US or Bahamian currency. Exchange is 1US=1Bahamian. We checked out at 11am, put our bags in the car, and spent the day at the Sheraton enjoying the beach/pools. They have a locker room and shower for guest who have to check out and have a late flight, which we used before returning the car and heading to the airport. Loved Freeport much better than Nassau. We plan to go back. Much better for a land cruise than a cruise port. You miss all the night life if on a cruise there.

Royal Clipper 12/01
Golden Princess 3/02
Galaxy 6/02
OceanBreeze 8/02
Legend 12/02
Grandeur 4/03
NCL Dream 12/03
Maasdam 2/21/04
SunPrincess 12/12/04
Zenith 2/05

• 2 weeks later...
I too just returned from a 4 day trip to Sheraton at Our Lucaya. Loved every single second of it and didn't want to come home. Jgawne, did you try the Zorba omellete? Oh my god, to die for! Luciano's was great too. We hit the early bird dinner and got soup/salad, meal and dessert for $25 per person. It was our best meal there!

Archived