Private Tour- Zip Line, Sloth, Cahuita?

starfishblue

Hi,

My husband, myself, and 12 year old daughter will be on the Liberty sailing January 19. We're independent people. They both want to do the zip line, but I'm the kind of person who can't walk across grates or glass floors, I can't imagine I could do this.

Question- we're probably going to book our own tour with a private company. We do not care about shopping or going all over the place. We've got 3 places we want to go

Zip Line

Sloth sanctuary

Cahuita National Park

Which is the best zip line for beginners? What could I do while they are up there? I love photography and would be very happy on a walk in the forest. (On the ground!)

How far are all these things from each other?

Is there a good restaurant at Cahuita?

Any suggestions for a private company that would take the 3 of us around? We love to be able to have some control over our day.

Thanks,

Beth

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=672642 (post 8 has my review of our tour with Danilo, we didn't do the ziplining, but I'm sure he can include it in a custom tour, provided time ashore permits)

http://www.geocities.com/adventure_caribbean/aboutus.html (Danilo's webite; as someone else noted in a different post; his verbal English is indeed better than his written English.)

Yes, I had seen your earlier post- and I contacted Donilo based on it. It's much easier to speak a language than to spell it!

I was surprised to get the quote of $90 per person plus zip lining. Since there are 3 of us, that's almost $300, plus the ziplining. It seems like there's only 2 hours of actual driving- so it can't be a lot of gas.

I wonder if we could rent a car.

Thanks for your help. We leave in 1 days, and I'm keen to nail something down. If it weren't for the ziplining, I'd probably just hire someone at the port.

Thanks,

Beth

I know private tours are quite a bit more expensive. Not sure about the driving distances - I know it took us about two hours to get to Cahuita with stops en route (we passed the sloth sanctuary, but did not stop). Not sure of distance from either Puerto Limon or Cahuita to where the zip lining is done, nor do I know whether it is on the same route or north of the city, thus adding to the distances. (If I recall correctly, Danilo said gas was about $5/gallon.)

There was a family that hired a taxi/guide at the pier to go to Cahuita and they paid $100 for the day. Not sure what the price would be to cover the places you want to visit. It might be an option.

I have no idea what car rentals cost, but keep in mind that the roads are pot-holed and narrow.

Good luck with your plans and have a terrific time on vacation.

I checked with Charlie from Okie Dokie Tours. His rate, for a van for the 3 of us, to do the same thing is $95 for my husband and daughter (who are doing the zip line) and $55 for me. I booked with him, and will write a review after we go with him. I'm really excited! We sail on January 19.

I'm sure Donilo would be great, I just wasn't prepared to spend an extra $120. I am very happy with this, and hope it plays out well.

Beth

Archived