what excursions with a 3 and 7 year old?

OnTheBrink

I can't remember if I asked this, so bear with me!

Do you do excursions with your little ones? Mine will be 3.5 and 7 when we go for 10 days in March, on the Emerald Princess. I see that some excursions say the minimum age is 5. Is it just best to plan to just wander the ports, maybe go to the beach, keep it low key?

Yes, take your kids! It's a family vacation after all!

And don't worry about planning fancy excursions for all of the ports. That's what Cruise Critic is for. Go to the Ports of Call forums for the places that you'll be visiting and find out what each place has to offer.

Like Crusinmama said, Coral World is great in St. Thomas. Just hop in a cab and spend the day there and at the beach next door, Coki Beach. No need for an organized excursion.

You'll find lots of things like this to do on the Ports of Call boards.

Thanks, both!

Last time (John was 8 months, Emma was 4) we didn't do much. We just wandered around the ports, did whatever was in an easy walk, etc. We did rent a car and go to a beach in Cozumel one day.

We'll definitely do Coral World since quite a few have recommended that. Is it easy to get a cab?

Yes, very easy to get a cab at the port and at Coral World/Coki Beach on the way back.

Your 7 year old would probably love snorkeling at Coki Beach and at other places too. My kids started snorkeling around 3 or 4 in the bathtub!

If you can find some kids masks and snorkels you can start off in the tub. Also, if there are any pools nearby this helps too. Just remember to bring your kids' snorkel equpment with you on the cruise. You can easliy rent adult sized gear, but kids stuff is much harder to find.

Good luck!

cruisinmama06....question for you. Have you ever left your kids in AO while you were in port? We have an up coming 12nighter. And there are some ports that we don't think our 4 year old would like. I'm a little nervous about leaving her.

cruisinmama06....question for you. Have you ever left your kids in AO while you were in port? We have an up coming 12nighter. And there are some ports that we don't think our 4 year old would like. I'm a little nervous about leaving her.

LOL...you don't want to ask me that question. I am the wrong one to ask. ;) My youngest caught a virus on a cruise, seized for 40 minutes and had to be medically evacuated. My hubby had been scheduled to be on an excursion that morning but it had been cancelled due to high waves. And he is the one who found her. :(

So long story short, no, we don't ever leave our kids alone on the ship.

Things like that can happen on land when they are in school. But if they are "medically evacuated" on land then it's usually somewhere you can reach by car in under an hour. When my daughter was medically evacuated, they were going to first fly us to a US airforce base in the Bahamas...then in a military plane back to the US. :eek: Can you imagine if we hadn't been there????

LOL...you don't want to ask me that question. I am the wrong one to ask. ;) My youngest caught a virus on a cruise, seized for 40 minutes and had to be medically evacuated. My hubby had been scheduled to be on an excursion that morning but it had been cancelled due to high waves. And he is the one who found her. :(

So long story short, no, we don't ever leave our kids alone on the ship.

Things like that can happen on land when they are in school. But if they are "medically evacuated" on land then it's usually somewhere you can reach by car in under an hour. When my daughter was medically evacuated, they were going to first fly us to a US airforce base in the Bahamas...then in a military plane back to the US. :eek: Can you imagine if we hadn't been there????

Oh my...what a terrible thing to go thru. Well you convinced me. One of us or family members will stay on the ship. Thanks so much

Archived