Zuiderdam Pasta Bar.......

sail7seas

Any suggestions how to suggest to the Chefs of Zuiderdam it would be terrific if they offered Wholewheat Pasta. I love the daily Pasta Bar in Lido but don't want to eat white pasta.....I'd be so happy if they had wholewheat.

You want a list of ingredients? If I understand your question, among the ingredients are garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, chopped meat (hamburg) for bolognese sauce, basil, oregano, parlsley flakes and other spices/herbs, vegetables for primavera, pasta in several various shapes, parmesan cheese for sprinkling........There are two or three different sauces offered each day. Might be al fredo one day, marinara, bolognese, pesto........

I believe they also offer whole wheat pasta.
They being which ship, Carol? When?

There was no whole wheat regularly offered on Zuiderdam, Maasdam or Rotterdam this past year. Is it on some other ship? If they had it, I Would have known.

We have never had a taste at the Pasta Bar but I would like included:

Rosemary Chicken

Zuchinni

Green and red peppers

Italian Sausage

fresh tomatoes and garlic (although I think you already included these)

Any sauce that isn't red

Mmmmmm, I'm hungry already

Rosemary Chicken

Zuchinni

Green and red peppers

Italian Sausage

Any sauce that isn't red

Rosemary Chicken at a Pasta Bar? You will find Roast Chickens daily in the regular Lido buffet line.

They have a wonderful selection of stir fried veggies to put on pasta.....primivera (sort of) and they are wonderful. I'm not sure if they have the veggies every day but on many days.

They had clam sauce and alfredo sauces on varying days.

I would make the suggestion by letter to Steve Kirsch, Director of Culinary Operations, in Seattle with a cc to Master Chef Rudi Sodamin.

In my person, humble opinion, I think 'it would happen' faster and more likely to 'happen' if I spoke with Chef or Lido Manager while aboard the ship. Thank you for your suggestion.

S7S

You can take some comfort in knowing that the flour used in pasta is not bad for your diet and health as the white flour of baked goods and white bread. Italians all eat non whole wheat pasta with no detriment to the health or their waistline.

It does nothing to benefit digestion, health, weight control. The high glycemic index of overprocessed foods is only negative IMO Most of digestion is done in the factory during production of the pasta and long before it lands on my fork. The whole grains, whole wheats are far more beneficial and, as importantly, IMO, they taste very much better.

We have done a great deal of fabulous travel around Italy...North and South....Venice to Sorrento. ..literally months of time spent in Italy all totaled up. The Italians most assuredly know how to eat wonderfully. The pasta course at an Italian meal is about 1/2 c of pasta. They do not pile huge mounds of pasta onto their plates as we do in U.S.

Rosemary Chicken

Zuchinni

Green and red peppers

Italian Sausage

Any sauce that isn't red

Oh, sounds yummy, especially Rosemary Chicken with Pasta. Often make it during the winter months, with a nice salad and garlic bread. Oh, now I am hungry! :D

I see now in rereading your original question that you were only asking about a suggestion to get one food item- whole wheat pasta- onto the Zuiderdam when you are on board.

I was suggesting from the point of view of opening a dialogue with the HAL execs (Master Chef and Director of Culinary Operations) who have responsibility for dietary selections fleetwide. These are the people who are able to institute change for the benefit of all pax, so that all ships will have some new, interesting, and healthier choices, not only in the Lido but in the dining room also. :)

I think the suggestion made by Peaches is the way to go. Asking for a change from the chef on one ship is not going to do it. Chefs are supposed to stick to a menu that is given to them from those above him. They cannot go off on their own changing things. I was told this by a chef, so this comment is not speculation.

World cruises are a different ball game. Chefs have more control and freedom to do what they want.

Archived