Chankanaab vs Paradise Beach 9 & 6 y/o

runmom1

Hello we are cruising and coming in on Jan 30 - along with about 8 other ships...! I've read the reviews on both beaches and can't decide. I have several questions and wondering if my decision should be based on the number of ships in port that day, will one beach be more crowded than another?

1. Which of the 2 do you recommend for 9 & 6 y/o boys?

2. We have never snorkeled before and would like to try it. Do they take you out, or can you just rent the equipment and 'walk in' the shallow water on your own? which beach would be better suited for the snorkeling?

3. We are thinking of doing the Dolphin Encounter - but not sure if its worth it for my 6 y/o because we can't do the Dolphin Discovery because of his age - its says you need to be 8 years old, I'd rather do that one... any comments?

4. Do both of the parks have the water tramps & Iceberg - so much info to digest, I think they would love that aspect!

5. Do we have access to a pool?

thank you - just found these boards, great info!

Hello we are cruising and coming in on Jan 30 - along with about 8 other ships...! I've read the reviews on both beaches and can't decide. I have several questions and wondering if my decision should be based on the number of ships in port that day, will one beach be more crowded than another?

1. Which of the 2 do you recommend for 9 & 6 y/o boys?

2. We have never snorkeled before and would like to try it. Do they take you out, or can you just rent the equipment and 'walk in' the shallow water on your own? which beach would be better suited for the snorkeling?

3. We are thinking of doing the Dolphin Encounter - but not sure if its worth it for my 6 y/o because we can't do the Dolphin Discovery because of his age - its says you need to be 8 years old, I'd rather do that one... any comments?

4. Do both of the parks have the water tramps & Iceberg - so much info to digest, I think they would love that aspect!

5. Do we have access to a pool?

thank you - just found these boards, great info!

OK, I will take a stab at some of your questions. For beach fun activities it's hard to beat Paradise Beach. I would think that your boys would like the water toys and activities. Ch did not have any water toys when we were there. The coastline at Ch drops off quickly. There is very little beach to speak off. But that quick drop is great for snorkeling. There is still some snorkeling at PB. They have a walkway that goes to a mini-pier where you can access the water. Either way there is no fresh water pool.

As far as the dolphin encounter is concerned, you have to decide if it is the type of once-in-a-lifetime experience that you're looking for. We did it when our kids were 18 and 15. IMO, 6 might be a little young.

I like PB for all around activities, beach fun and food. So I think you have to first determine how strong of an interest you have in the dolphin encounter. That sounds like the key to your decision. You'll have a good time either way.

Mike

Thank you very much - I think we might be leaning away from the Dolphin adventure - the beaches sound like they might enjoy just as much, and now I'm considering Stingray City as well! What about Nachi Beach - but the more I've just read it might be a little boring for the kids...my only concern about the more public beaches is that there will be 8 ships in port the day we are there, and I think it could get very crowded..! thanks again

You can't beat Paradise Beach...we had our 8 and 10 year old there a few years ago and it is still the best day of all the cruises we have taken. We loved laying on the beach and watching the kids enjoy all the water toys. I felt the kids were very safe in the water with us closeby on our beach chairs. Our son spent all his "fun money" on the trampolines and the guys were great..letting him bounce away for a long time since their were no lines. Yummy nachos and great service. We took them out in kayaks and had a ball. Perfect for their age. The beach was perfect for families. Very easy to get to in a cab. Nice little changing rooms (we hit the shops at the pier on the way back). A wonderful way to relax off the ship and enjoy an island. We've done the dolphins, but the kids still love PB.

Thank you, everyone has nice things to say - how were the crowds - there are going to be 8 ships in port the day we are there - the way they have it set up it looks like it could be very crowded w/chairs on top of each other...!

Archived