Someplace local to eat

HockeyMom44

Christi's list is a good place to start.

Depending of the kind of food you are looking for, La Choza is good as is Camilos, both of which are within walking distance of the Plaza.

You'd need to take a taxi to get to my favorite seafood restaruants, La Conchita del Caribe.

Even if you eat at a local's place like Las Palmas, which is also good, you don't really have to worry about getting the revenge. Water used in food prep in the restaurants is purified, as is the water used for ice or served to guests.

Casa Denis is a very good choice, IMO. :)

I'll toss in another vote for Casa Denis. Stumbled across it a couple of years ago & have made sure to eat there every time I've been to Coz since. Very good food, very nice folks.

I'll toss in another vote for Casa Denis. Stumbled across it a couple of years ago & have made sure to eat there every time I've been to Coz since. Very good food, very nice folks.

We didn't eat there, but we did walk by it (12-30-07). If you stand at the large flagpole on the waterfront with your back to the water, you will see a street. Walk up (down?) this street and you will find Casa Denis on the right.

I had the same thought--I love the food of Mexico and I was worried about being forced to eat Americanized food in such a touristy place. But it sounds like there are lots of good options! Here is a quote from a post on Chowhound: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/375681

"I have spent over 100 nights in Cozumel on dive trips over the last 19 years, and I eat quite well there. The poster's request for "non-touristy" is almost impossible because everything is tourist driven. A few of my favorites:

La Choza- avenida 10, 1 block s. of the square. Good mole, seafood, soups. Very authentic, broad menu, daily comida for locals, too. Chairs are upright and not conducive to lingering/drinking, so I eat a good meal and run.

Plaza Leza, on the middle of the s side of the square in San Miguel. Very comfy chairs for slurping margaritas (they squeeze limes all through the day- no mix). Very good caracol al mojo de ajo (grilled conch with garlic), queso fundito. Excellent spot for people watching and repartee with other divers.

Las Palmeras- freestand building on the malecon by the dock. killer breakfast- huevos motulenos, tocina, fruit plates you want to photograph, fresh juices.

Bob's Marley Bar (sic) -palapa bar just past the southern lighthouse on the windward side. Best conch ceviche anywhere. No electricity on that part of the island, but they lug everything in every morning with lots of ice. Palapa tables in the sand right in front of spectacualr waves crashing on the ironstone, with enormous energy and beauty. Shaded hammocks for the slothful. (often me), and snappy service.

San Francisco beach- about 8 kilometers s of San Miguel- whole grilled fish Yucatec style is a delicious thing of beauty. Weekends one will observe tables of locals feasting on a platter holding a 2 foot redfish with all the trimmings.

The old timers miss the original "Joe's Lobster" which morphed from resto to live-music nightclub while you ate garlicy tails and baked potatoes.

The good old days were very good, but it's certainly good enough for me to return- tomorrow! (Blue Bubble no trouble)"

Archived