Vancouver Car Rental

c2c4fun

National/Alamo have cars on site at Canada place - so it's your quickest bet for getting on your way fast. no charge for drop off at the airport.

the other car rental companies will shuttle you to their downtown locations from Canada place.

Why do you want a rental car???

If staying in Vancouver use a downtown hotel and all major attractions are easy to access via public transit or the Hop on Hop off bus. Parking is expensive here in Vancouver.

If it is just to get you to the airport use a cab.

• 2 weeks later...

There are couple of hop on hop off buses in Vancouver - here's a link to one of them:

http://www.bigbus.ca/

They have open air buses in the summer time

Another one is Vancouver Trolley - here's there

link:http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

In addition the Vancouver Trolley company is contracted by the Parks Board to provide a free hop on hop off loop of Stanley park from mid June to mid-September

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
Why do you want a rental car???

If staying in Vancouver use a downtown hotel and all major attractions are easy to access via public transit or the Hop on Hop off bus. Parking is expensive here in Vancouver.

If it is just to get you to the airport use a cab.

As I stated on another thread, the Hop on Hop Off bus would cost us $175. I doubt it would cost me that much for parking. The public transportation might be a better option. At first I thought Vancouver was going to be a very easy city to plan for, but now that I am getting down to the final planning and scheduling, it is becoming very difficult to figure out the best thing to do. We will likely be 5 adults arriving at the airport on a Friday in June at 11:00 am.. We leave on our cruise on Sunday. Departure time is 5:00 p.m. So, here I am trying to figure out what to see and the best days to see it all and how to get there in the most economical and sane way. It has been a bit overwhelming to say the least. I am beginning to be sorry I planned the extra day in Vancouver. It is just getting to be too much planning and figuring.

I am sure you will not be sorry you planned the extra day in Vancovuer once you arrive and get to enjoy our wonderful city and scenery...

At home I have a wonderful page on infor on sites to see with their web addressed but unfortuneately I am on holiday and did not bring that info with me.

However now that you tell me there are 5 adults you might be cheaper to rent a car - just remember about your luggage and rent a large enough vechicle to hold 5 adults + suitcases. You can pick up at the airport and drop at the port or downtown.

As to what you want to do if I knew what you liked / enjoyed seeing i.e. museums, wineries, scenery, gardens I would be happy to help you plan a route to make your time fun & enjoyable. you can find me at ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

However I would suggest that you should see the following but not necessarily in this order

Stanley Park

Capilano Suspension Bridge http://www.capbridge.com

Grouse Mountain http://www.grousemountain.com

Gas Town

China Town

Then add in some optional sites dependant on your tastes

Ann

I am sure you will not be sorry you planned the extra day in Vancovuer once you arrive and get to enjoy our wonderful city and scenery...

As to what you want to do if I knew what you liked / enjoyed seeing i.e. museums, wineries, scenery, gardens I would be happy to help you plan a route to make your time fun & enjoyable. you can find me at ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

However I would suggest that you should see the following but not necessarily in this order

Stanley Park

Capilano Suspension Bridge www.capbridge.com

Grouse Mountain www.grousemountain.com

Gas Town

China Town

Then add in some optional sites dependant on your tastes

Ann

Thank you Ann, check for my email. I appreciate your offer to help me.

Here are some attractions that I posted for another visitor.

1. Stanley Park - everyone's favorite and close to downtown - one day hardly does it justice as there is so much to see - best seen in foot or bike - pay parking in effect.

2. Capilano Suspension Bridge - an engineering wonder and also an old growth forest.

3. Grouse Mountain - if it is clear you will get some spectacular views of the entire region and even Mt Baker in Washington State.

4. Granville Island - a country market, crafts and eateries.

5. Vancouver Aquarium - located in Stanley Park and a destination all its own - see the whales and dolphins and many educational displays.

6. Telus World of Science - great for the young and the young at heart and on the eastern end of the downtown core.

7. Queen Elizabeth Park - the highest point in the City - on a clear day great views of the city - there is a conservatory and sunken garden as well - easy access by bus or car

8. Lonsdale Quay Market - a farmer's market - different from Granville Island - take the Sea Bus from Waterfront Station across Burrard Inlet to the Quay.

9. Burnaby Mtn/Simon Fraser University - a high point in the eastern part of the Metro Region with great views of the City and home of our second largest university.

10. Horseshoe Bay - I always like the drive out along Marine Drive in West Vancouver to this compact little neighbourhood that is also home to the ferries to Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island - if you like fish and chips you might want to try Troll's as they are the original fish and chip place.

11.Westminster Quay - another interesting public market along the Fraser River - take a trip on our Sky Train rapid transit system to this stop - enjoy the market, if the weather is nice walk along the broadwalk and then if you are hungry and like pasta head for the Old Spaghetti Factory located next to the Sky train terminal.

12. Gastown and Chinatown - only a short distance from the downtown hotel district.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Here are some attractions that I posted for another visitor.

2. Capilano Suspension Bridge - an engineering wonder and also an old growth forest.

3. Grouse Mountain - if it is clear you will get some spectacular views of the entire region and even Mt Baker in Washington State.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, it was very nice of you to post the list of things to do in Vancouver. I will make sure to google the ones I am not familar with yet to see if they are something we would like to do. Mostly I need ideas for bad weather. The anthropology museum looked interesting to me. I just want to have a few things in mind in case we hit a few days of heavy rain and winds. I just like to be prepared.

I am most confused about Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. Several people have mentioned that they are tourist traps. I must say they seem costly. So I am not sure if I should try to include those two things or not.

Also, still not sure about car rentals. I didn't realize we would have to pay to park at Stanley Park. How does it work? Do you pay one fee and are able to park anywhere in the park, or do you have to pay each time you move your car. I think we are about 6-7 blocks to the Park. However, with the shuttle not operating yet, it makes it difficult to get around the park. Although the hop on hop off bus has a few stops in Stanley Park, I don't know that we can justify $175 for the five of us. I just don't think we would get our money's worth. If you have any food for thought for me, I would welcome it.

The suspension bridge and Grouse are not tourist traps - sure they have gift shops and curios kiosks but what tourist attractions don't - here's the link to the bridge website in case you don't have it:

http://www.capbridge.com/

You are correct - each time you stop and park you have to pay again - since many of the places you will just be stopping to take pictures - leave one person in the car and take the photos - the extra revenue from higher parking fees in the summer is what pays for the shuttle when it is running.

Cheers

Dennis

You are correct - each time you stop and park you have to pay again - since many of the places you will just be stopping to take pictures - leave one person in the car and take the photos - the extra revenue from higher parking fees in the summer is what pays for the shuttle when it is running.

Cheers

Dennis

Do you happen to know how much it is to park?

"Do you happen to know how much it is to park'

No I don't and it will be higher in the summer - if it ever stops raining and I get out on my bike I will try to find out for you.

Cheers

Dennis

No need to get out on your bike. I can email or call them, but thanks for offering.

We are now considering going to Whistler on our full day in Vancouver. With driving time, how much time should we allow to experience the area? If we had to choose between Whistler and a trip to Capilano and Grouse Mountain, would one be more recommened than the other?

"Do you happen to know how much it is to park'

No I don't and it will be higher in the summer - if it ever stops raining and I get out on my bike I will try to find out for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Found this on their website:

April 1 - September 30 6:00 am—9:00 pmHourly Rate2.00Daily Rate7.00

So maybe if you pay the daily rate, you only pay once? I will check into it.

VBmom

parking isn't very expensive outside of the downtown core & there isn't really too much right downtown to see.

I think it would be much more expensive + a hassle to use the hop on hop offs for more than one or two people.. especially if you really want to see Vancouver & not just the touristy places. + you can use the rental car to get to the airport & save that limo shuttle or taxi fare.

you said there were 5... what are the ages?? (kids along or all adults?)

If given the choice for a day trip, I'd take the day & do the drive to whistler. You'll see some fine BC scenery (better on the way back than on the way up), an amazing highway...so much better than it used to be, and the village of whistler is worth the trip. I'd plan on all day - it takes a couple of hours each way..there are some interesting stops that you can take to make it a bit longer + time when you're in whistler.

If you decide to stay on the coast... Both grouse mountain & the suspension bridge are spectacular & they're both on the same road, but you don't have to do both!!

If I were you, I'd play it by ear - if the weather is good (not rainy) and if you can see the top of the local mountains...do grouse mountain - the views are spectacular & there are things up there that appeal to any age groups...even teenagers & the gondola ride up the mountain is awesome.

If it's rainy or if you can't see the top of the mountain - your grouse mountain experience can be skipped.

If the weather isn't so great, the suspension bridge is still awesome... misty west coast foresty...very cool.

Archived