Post-cruise excursion or beach day in FLL?

bobbygirl

We have a late flight home out of FLL, leaving at 6:45 pm. Air is booked through Carnival and they have provided transfers.

We are considering either (A) doing the Everglades tour post-cruise or (B) taking the transfer to FLL and then going to the beach & a restaurant for early supper, returning to the airport for 5pm.

Is option B viable? Will both options get me to FLL at the same time? Can we check in our luggage and then take off for the afternoon?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

How timely! We have just been through this issue and have some advice.

We were travelling with two young kids. We ended up waiting around a lot for disembarkation then waiting almost an hour for our shuttle bus. When we got to FLL (around 12:30) we seemed to have hit rush hour. Very long lines. We were flying out of terminal 4 but I would recommend visiting Terminal 3 for better waiting areas and food (Chilis, etc.)

Because of our late flight (7:40) we were not able to check in and rid ourselves of luggage until almost 5:00. We only found out later that you could check/store your bags (I think about $10/bag) in a different area. Hmmm. So basically we wasted our day away in the airport. :(

So.... I would suggest taking a post cruise tour of your choice. They will take care of your luggage and get you to the airport with plenty of time. You also get priority disembarkation with a booked tour.

Have fun!

We were in the same situation for our last cruise. I called the airline and they said that you are not allowed to check your luggage until 3 hours before flight time for security reasons. We decided to do the Everglades tour. Your luggage is stored under the tour bus while you are on the tour. It was decent. Be aware that part of the tour time is traveling (about 20 or so minutes each way from what I recall). We left around 9:15. The air boat ride was about an hour and was very nice. There was a short alligator show afterwards. Then, you could go in the gift shop if you wanted. We were back at FLL by 12:45 pm. Our flight was at 4:00 pm, so we had to wait 15 minutes in order to comply with the 3 hour rule before we could check our luggage. For the other option, the rules may have changed - I don't know. I would assume the airport is still going to be touchy about someone dropping off luggage and then leaving.

If you're there for dinner try Southport Raw bar. We go there everytime we are down there. They have great seafood, very casual, and an outside deck on the canal. Great fun, great clams! It does get busy on weekend nights though.

1536 Cordova Road, Fort Lauderdale

Archived