Our first time snorkeling

Grizaballa

This is probably a really dumb question, but my DH and I want to snorkel. I am not a great swimmer...I can tread water and stay afloat just fine. At first I was thinking that we should try it at a beach of our 1st port of call - St. Thomas....just on our own. But he says we should do an excursion. I don't want to be holding the group up if don't know exactly what I'm doing. Are there usually some beginners on the excursions? (I'm sure there are, just feeling like I need the reassurance that I won't be the only one to have ?'s and probably need a little help!) Could anyone recommend an excursion in St. Thomas that would be fun and yet good for beginners.:o

This is probably a really dumb question, but my DH and I want to snorkel. I am not a great swimmer...I can tread water and stay afloat just fine. At first I was thinking that we should try it at a beach of our 1st port of call - St. Thomas....just on our own. But he says we should do an excursion. I don't want to be holding the group up if don't know exactly what I'm doing. Are there usually some beginners on the excursions? (I'm sure there are, just feeling like I need the reassurance that I won't be the only one to have ?'s and probably need a little help!) Could anyone recommend an excursion in St. Thomas that would be fun and yet good for beginners.:o

Many boat snorkels do not have proper assistance for newbies. St Thomas is a god place to start. Sign up for one of the ship's beach snorkels. Nearly all have a trip to Trunk Bay at St John. There will be

a guide with your group who can help you with gear and first entry.

Another option is with Coki Beach Dive Club, another beach dive/snorkel. I haven't done that, but e-mail and ask them about first tiimers. Coki is on St Thomas so you have less travel time.

http://www.cokidive.com/

Ali's Eco Tour in Antigua is a perfect trip for first timer's . Eli makes the first a beach stop specifically for first timers. He provides careful gear and water introduction.

http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

I agree with the previous poster, the easiest way to learn to snorkel is to take the excursion from the ship over to St John. They'll then take you to Trunk Bay where you'll receive a basic primer on snorkeling - how to put on the mask, how to properly tilt your head and how to breathe through a snorkel. Plus there's never any wave action at Trunk Bay, it's the calmest water in the Caribbean. If you're not a comfortable swimmer, they'll give you a flotation device to assist you.

The water entry is on a sandy bottom so there's no chance of stepping on coral or a sea urchin which would ruin your day.

The snorkeling is not very good anymore, a storm damaged the reef a few years ago. There's still some fish, but not many. It is a very good place to learn and get comfortable putting your head in the water.

There are many islands where you can snorkel in the Caribbean, but most good spots are reached only by boat since the reefs are far off shore and it's difficult to swim that far. And the boat captains know their tips are better if they take you to a nice spot.

Thanks for the advice....I checked on the snorkeling excursions that our cruise offers. One going to St. John's says it offers help for beginners! I might even try it at the gym's pool before we leave :o . It's good to know that the water is usually calm at St.Johns Bay. I'm sure once I try it, it'll be a piece of cake!

Thanks for the advice....I checked on the snorkeling excursions that our cruise offers. One going to St. John's says it offers help for beginners! I might even try it at the gym's pool before we leave :o . It's good to know that the water is usually calm at St.Johns Bay. I'm sure once I try it, it'll be a piece of cake!

That's very sensible. Some ships offer a snorkel demo at the pool, usually the first sea day. Look for that, too.

My DD and I just returned from our Christmas cruise and snorkeld for the first time in Belize! I was concerned about doing this as I do not swim very well. I did bring our own snorkel and mask and used their flippers. We took a catamaran out to the reef and snorkeled from that. They seperated us by beginners and experienced. Also they give you a life jacket (small & comfortable). I had a blast it was so much fun!! Much easier than I ever imagined! My DD was tired on the swim back to the catamaran but if you scissor you legs instead of trying to bend your knees you'll save more energy! I am claustrophobic and thought I would have a problem but no problem at all! Make sure to bring a waterproof camera! I can't wait to snorkel again but this time would love to try it from a beach!!

i would recommend this:

go buy a snorkel set for yourself: you avoid the nasty rental stuff and you can practice using the snorkel in the pool on board. Unfortunately for our snorkel excursion my mom didn't get how to use the snorkel stuff well and missed a lot of fish. I wish i had gotten her to practice with my snorkel set...

I've been on many snorkel excursions as we cruise and was once a newbie myself. I have always found the crew helpful, and have not felt held back by beginners.

It is easier to learn to snorkel if you know that you can put your feet down to readjust your mask if needed, or if you just want to rest. I agree that working in your local pool or on the cruise ship is a great idea. Have never seen snorkel lessons on ship but think it's a great idea. Glad some ships do it.

Have fun. There's a whole world awaiting you once you put on your mask and snorkel!

:):):) ninkb

Archived