Bannister Beach in Belize ?

CharlieHarley

I think the only way to get there is through the ship's tour. We paid $39pp (thru NCL) which included the boat ride the island, one rum punch, use of all facilities, and floats (we used them on the lounge chairs). There is a little snack bar for drinks and food. We were also approached and asked if we were interested in hair braiding, massages, and the like. A boat ride from Bannister to the reef for snorkeling was being offered for $20pp.

The island is lovely, and we were able to find a place in the shade which was wonderful for relaxing and reading. The water for swimming is crystal clear and roped off. At no time do I think I was over my head. It's a great situation for floating around and swimming.

My only disappointment was over not having any area for snorkeling. You are only allowed to go into the water at the roped-off swimming area - but, again, it was lovely.

OK - 12 & 13-year-old boys. As long as they know that it is a very small island with a limited area for swimming, they should be fine.

If you all are into snorkeling, you might consider budgeting for the boat ride out to the reef. Like I wrote, when we were there, it was being offered for $20pp.

It's possible that there were canoes & kayaks for rent - I just can't remember.

One really good aspect of the ship's tour is the fact that you board the boat to Bannister right off the side of the ship. This keeps you from having to tender into Belize City and then double-back to your destination.

If anyone knows of a different tour (other than the ship's) that picks up people directly off the ship, I would love to hear about it. We are going back to Belize the end of this month.

Hope this info is helpful. Will be glad to answer any questions.

I did a tour that picked you up right from the ship. It was an all day tour though, you started by going to the rain forest and then you got to ride range rovers through the forest, cave exploration and going to a private farm afterward where the lunch was great! Then you are brought back to the ship on a speed boat, through a river. It was great, and alot of fun. I am not sure what the name was, it was through the ship though, something like off road range rover and cave exploration.

Enjoy!

I am going to Belize again in January 09. I love that place! the first time I went I did the cave tubbing.

Archived