Purchasing Cold Meds in the Caribbean....?

sas80

Curious....

Now that all effective cold meds for older infants, toddlers and young kids, have been banned in the states....has anyone looked to purchase some while they are cruising?

We depart in 17 days for a Southern Caribbean cruise and are planning on going to the supermarket in St. Thomas to see if we can stock up (expiration date in mind when we are purchasing, of course) If we cant find any in St. Thomas (because it is a U.S. territory) then we are going to look in St. Martin, etc.

Before anyone lectures me, we already know that our child is "safe" to dispense these medications to as we used to give pedia care, etc to him before the ban.

Anyways, has anyone ever browsed the meds section while on an island to see what they offer? I'm wondering if we will be able to find anything and if it will cost an arm and a leg....?

Of course, as soon as we purchase them, he will probably, miraculously, stop getting colds....

Well you can try. I have browsed the medicine section and at least at the ports the prices can be steep. They know they have ya...lol.

Does PediaCare work for your child? It never worked for my kids. The best thing that I have found is benedryl and rotating doses of motrin/tylenol. And when they are older, then using Delsym for cough.

Benedryl knocks my kids out...so I only use it at night. But it does work.

Well you can try. I have browsed the medicine section and at least at the ports the prices can be steep. They know they have ya...lol.

Does PediaCare work for your child? It never worked for my kids. The best thing that I have found is benedryl and rotating doses of motrin/tylenol. And when they are older, then using Delsym for cough.

Benedryl knocks my kids out...so I only use it at night. But it does work.

It seems like nothing works for his congestion! Pedia care will work the best if it is a moderate cold. Right now he has that RSV virus (did I mention that I hate daycare?) My husband says we need to look for something with sudafed in it, which I agree with. The problem is that the stupid teenagers are making speed out of anything with sudafed in it!

It would have never occurred to me to drink 3 bottles freaking robotussin to get high.... Nor would it have ever occurred to me to raid my parents medicine cabinet to take prescription medication! I blame the internet! But I digress....

I really want to give my child some Olive Leaf Tea. I have been reading all sorts of great things about the power of Olive Leaf as an antibacterial, etc. And Olive leaf is 100% natural. BUT, from what I am reading, you cant start to give kids Olive Leaf until they are 18 months old... :(

We figure we may as well check out the Caribbean store shelves.... Especially since we've been to St. Thomas too many times to count! :D

I plan on checking the Wal Mart in Puerta Vallarta when we're there next week. Same situation for me - I know the meds work for the twins and I really miss them!

Let us know what you find' date=' and I will too.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

You'll get luck in P.V. That's Mexico...they sell everything and they are our neighbor, so "import" taxes are not expensive!

I will re post after our cruise to let everyone know what I found.

I agree with the sudafed. My allergy med is going OTC later this month which means not only can I no longer get it covered by insurance, but I no longer can get it via the drive through (must go inside to sign for it). Sucks when my son will give me a hard time in the store. Anyway I haven't tried because I always have a script for Duotan (generic name) which is a prescription strength decongestant which I've had since my son was a year and his asthma and allergies started. But it was pediacare that my doctor recommended for the plane flight when he was 9 months old because he tended to be congested.

By the way I've started to use Claritin-D (or Walgreens brand Walitin-D) for myself and find it to work great. Stronger then sudafed when you need it and doesn't cause drowsiness like my Zyrtec does. Wonder how much Zyrtec will cost when it goes OTC I think on the 16th. I know that the patent ended on Christmas day and the generic formula was already developed. I don't know if there is an OTC for Claritin-D for kids I am sure there isn't for our toddlers. I believe I read that children's Zyrtec isn't going OTC.

I agree with the sudafed. My allergy med is going OTC later this month which means not only can I no longer get it covered by insurance, but I no longer can get it via the drive through (must go inside to sign for it). Sucks when my son will give me a hard time in the store. Anyway I haven't tried because I always have a script for Duotan (generic name) which is a prescription strength decongestant which I've had since my son was a year and his asthma and allergies started. But it was pediacare that my doctor recommended for the plane flight when he was 9 months old because he tended to be congested.

By the way I've started to use Claritin-D (or Walgreens brand Walitin-D) for myself and find it to work great. Stronger then sudafed when you need it and doesn't cause drowsiness like my Zyrtec does. Wonder how much Zyrtec will cost when it goes OTC I think on the 16th. I know that the patent ended on Christmas day and the generic formula was already developed. I don't know if there is an OTC for Claritin-D for kids I am sure there isn't for our toddlers. I believe I read that children's Zyrtec isn't going OTC.

So you guys use the allergy medicines for colds? We have Zyrtec...I just thought ti would really only work for the symptoms related to an allergy, and not a cold...

I think if you read the box on Claritin-D it says Allergy and Cold but I'm not sure but either way the ingredient in sudafed is pseudeophedrine which is the primary ingredient in Claritin-D and Zyrtec-D but Claritin-D and Zyrtec-D have more of it then the always OTC Sudafed. Now to clarify Claritin and Zyrtec are not the same thing as Claritin-D and Zyrtec-D and do not contain pseudeophedrine and you will notice that Claritin is on store shelves where Claritin-D is behind the pharmacy counter and it will be the same with Zyrtec and Zyrtec-D.

I hope I haven't confused you.

As far as symptoms of allergies vs cold they are essentially the same just that the allergy adds the antihistamine part to prevent the cause of allergies, but I've been on Zyrtec-D twice a day for nearly a year now.

In my experience there are only two products that work for congestion-

Tylenol Sinus or Tylenol Cold (adult formula- consult your doctor) and Mucinex (again consult your doctor)

My son is 7 and I give him half the adult dose- and he will swallow pills so this isn't a problem.

None of the liquid medications- other than liquid Tylenol (for fever) ever worked for my kids.

The crap that the doctor perscribes for sore throat is a waste and joke.

I read that most of the decongestants and cold medicines on the market don't work- as well as those perscribed by doctors.

The old fashion- chicken soup and plenty of fluids seem to do the trick. Plus a nice hot bath- to relieve the congestion.

Archived