Black Sea ports

seapenarth

I sailed on the Spirit this year in the Black Sea,for me some of the ports were a bit basic but it is best tried rather than not.The excursions will help rather than walking around the basic towns.I am booked on the Odyssey in 2009 that will go to the Black Sea.I booked because of the Ship and not the itinerary.I am on for a month so there are a lot more ports to see.

The best (practically speaking, the only upscale) way to visit many of the ports is by cruise ship. While I did a Black Sea cruise on another line, I can tell you that the ports are - if you dig - very interesting on a socio-political basis.

I also agree that merely wandering around the ports will result in you missing much.

I sailed on the Spirit this year in the Black Sea,for me some of the ports were a bit basic but it is best tried rather than not.The excursions will help rather than walking around the basic towns.I am booked on the Odyssey in 2009 that will go to the Black Sea.I booked because of the Ship and not the itinerary.I am on for a month so there are a lot more ports to see.

We looked at the Odyssey as well but thought to try the smaller way first. I think the Odyssey is just about booked up. One gets the feeling the Black Sea ports and interests have not picked up as the Croatian ports have. Maybe it down to history.:cool:

Actually the Croatian ports are more sophisticated and more enjoyable from a Western European perspective.

While I truly enjoyed and learned much from my venture into the Black Sea, I am - at least for now - more of the "I'm really glad I did that" as opposed to the "I can't wait to go back" feeling. That said, I probably would like to explore Bulgaria and Odessa more, but not so much the other Black Sea ports.

Archived