El Yunque - South Access?

Kempa

I would like to know if I can reach El Yunque Forest Park from the South end of route 191. The maps from the Forest Service indicate that there is an "end of the road" with a gate at the south side of the park. The Google Earth road maps don't show any interruption of route 191.

I found some old article that mentions a "permanent landslide".

Is the road to the park closed from the South?

I am planning to rent a car, and I am thinking about entering the park from the south end.

The "rain forest" experience most people do and will discuss on these forums is the north side. Here, there are lots of marked and maintained trail heads, bathrooms, ranger stations etc.

The easiest and best way to reach the north side is on RT 191, from RT 3 in Rio Grande. RT 191 stops at about Km 13 or so, where up further there is a permanent landslide separating the N and S sides.

The south side is more isolated and more natural- almost no one goes there and there are not marked trails or maps etc. But it is beautiful, but for the more adventurous. I have only been there with a guide. I feel a little scared there, since it is so empty, but others love the isolation.

To get there, you have to go up RT 191 from the south, in Naguabo or so.

Archived